Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Question for those who shoot

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by bushmaster, Jan 24, 2018.

1. bushmaster

bushmaster Active Member

It would seem logical that shooting at smaller targets would produce tighter groups as one is aiming at a smaller, more specific center. However, as a general rule, that has not been the norm for me. I tend to get noticeably smaller groups when shooting at larger targets. Any ideas as to why?

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

What ya shootin'?

3. bushmaster

bushmaster Active Member

It seems to be across the board with pretty much anything I shoot pistol or rifle. I aim better shooting at a larger target.

4. OpanaPointer

May be the way your eyes work.

5. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

I find that my accuracy is worse the higher the magnification of the scope. At 9 power I jump all over the place and at 3 power it seems like I am steadier and my shots are better.

KTK

6. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I don't know, but I find my groups are best if there is a very precise aiming point. For example, a lot of targets are just black and white with concentric circles leading down to a vague X in the center of the smallest black circle. Stick a bright orange dot over that vague X and my groups narrow appreciably.

7. bushmaster

bushmaster Active Member

Yes, and that's the logical position. I'm perplexed as to what causes this in me.

8. OpanaPointer

Meh, I crank up Ma Deuce, target's going to go bye-bye.

9. harolds

harolds Member

You might be, what's the word I'm looking for here, "psyched out" by a small target. Sometimes we think things that become self-fulfilling prophesies, such as, "Oh, this is such a small target, I just KNOW I'm going to blow this group!" Sometimes this thinking can be almost subconscious. In my experience shooting well is 40% technique and 60% mental.

The scope problem is easy! X magnification magnifies not only our target X times, but also our wiggle. I remember when my father and uncle moved from hunting with iron sights to scopes. They had a hard time adjusting (at first even FINDING the target) to their wiggle being magnified 4 times. My father adjusted, but my uncle went back to iron sights. Your wiggle is the same either at 3X or 9X but it just seems more at higher power. Again, you might be psyching yourself out again. Confidence is important.

10. bushmaster

bushmaster Active Member

I'm a simple country doctor. I could never afford the ammo. Sounds like fun, though.

11. OpanaPointer

I have a simple plan, I get someone else to pay for it. When I got married back in '10 I contacted a certain state agency responsible for responding to major incidents and asked them if they'd like a scoped .50? "Oh hell yes." My price for a "long term loan" of the baby cannon was that I'd do the training and famfire and get a few boxes for shits-and-grins firing. So four times a year they muster up near here and we rock and roll for a few days. I rest better knowing the old gal is still doing service.

Oh, and Otto! The .50 is NOT part of our current parley. Nehner.

12. bushmaster

bushmaster Active Member

You, Sir, is a fortunate man.

13. OpanaPointer

Good to have low friends in high places. A certain party noticed that the serial number on a .50 showed that it had been in the same area I was in at the same time. So he bought it for me. Sadly he didn't get the name of the guy who did the scope work, that man was a GENIUS.

14. bushmaster

bushmaster Active Member

just curious...what type/power scope?

15. OpanaPointer

Three interchangeable scopes, none of them made in the US. More than that I can't recall. Zeiss maybe. My old brain didn't retain that information, I prefer iron sights. The young eyes mentioned the Barrett .50, for what that's worth.

16. bushmaster

bushmaster Active Member

My preference is iron as well simply out of habit and despite fairly poor vision. I'm a little confused; do you have a Ma Deuce or a Barret?

17. OpanaPointer

Fully functional .50. I see I failed to note that I never took the scopes out of their box. Most of the shooting I did with it was lowering trees and shattering rocks, on the next hill over. My eyes were bad enough that I've needed seven surgeries on them to see straight.

18. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein WWII Veteran

In 1966 my family and I had a holiday in Lido di Jeselo, in Italy.

One evening we all went out to the local fairground and stopped at a shooting booth.

I soon spotted that the rifles being used were very similar to the old Lee Enfield pattern but obviously adapted to load .22 slugs and so when my teenage daughters started geeing me up to demonstrate what a good shot I was I took the bait.

Owen, a moderator on the ww2talk site and a member here, once accused me of never throwing anything away. In this case I have to give him right because the target was still pasted in my Holiday Album of that trip !

Given that the light was poor, given that the sights had probably been "doctored", given that I hadn't fired a rifle for at least twenty four years I don't think I did too badly, did I?

Target 8-7-66 Lido di Jesolo.JPG

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    TD-Tommy776 and KodiakBeer like this.
  19. OpanaPointer

Boss Lady had never even held a firearm of any type the first time I took her to the range. First clip, 15 9mm, she got everything on the target and no snow birds. Second clip, everything inside the 8 ring. I made a note to not piss her off.

20. bushmaster

bushmaster Active Member

I taught the Missus to shoot; never taught her to load.