Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Reg Snowling, Legion d'Honneur

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by GRW, Aug 2, 2018.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

"A Second World War veteran believed to have been the shortest British soldier on D-Day has died at the age of 97.
    Reg Snowling, who was nicknamed Titch due to being just 4ft 11in tall, volunteered for the Army in 1940 when he turned 18.
    The former tank gunner sergeant was hailed a hero during the war for destroying two German tanks with a single shell.
    He also sank two Nazi submarines with one shot and was among the first British troops to reach the Belsen concentration camp.
    Mr Snowling, from Ipswich, Suffolk, was in the thick of the action after he landed on Gold Beach on D-Day on June 6, 1944 with the 24th Lancers.
    He was later transferred to the 23rd Hussars and destroyed two Panther tanks with the same shot while advancing into German-occupied Europe.
    Mr Snowling recalled in an interview: 'We looked through a hedge and saw these three tanks. They popped at us and missed, so we reversed back.
    'We went forward and we were face-to-face with them. They fired again and missed, then I popped one off. The shell went right through one tank and into the next.
    'The tanks just blew up. When our rifle brigade went up in their half-tracks to have a look, there was nobody left alive.
    'The officer in charge of the rifle brigade came belting back to our tank to ask who fired the shot. When he found out it was me, he said, 'Make sure he gets the Military Medal.'
    'A couple of days later we were having a break and got our billy cans out to make a cup of tea.
    'Three reporters came running over, saying, 'Where's Titch?' They had heard about me destroying two tanks with one shot and wanted to interview me.
    'They shook my hand so hard that they nearly shook me to death - but I never did get the Military Medal.'
    www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6019689/British-tank-sergeant-nicknamed-Titch-shortest-D-Day-hero-dies-97.html

lwd and JJWilson like this.
  2. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

Destroying two tanks with one shell is incredible.........two submarines seems impossible!! Thank you for your service Mr.Snowling :s!:.......