Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Researching Grandfather's Unit

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by MedicP3, Mar 3, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I am convinced that the DUI on his cap is of the 114th Infantry Regiment.

I enlarged the photo. There appears to be an X across the face of the shield and the scroll along the bottom is thin, slightly seperated from the sheild and seems to have two or three 5 or 6 letter words on it.

I found two other infantry regiments that had similarly shaped DUIs, the 325th Glider Infantry Regiment & the 323rd Infantry Regiment. On closer inspection, neither have the X across the shield and the wording on the scroll is markedly different. (e.g. the 325th says "Let's Go" and the 323rd is a Latin sentence) and the scrolls are wider and seem to overlap the scroll somewhat. Both appear to have the cross of Lorraine on them, I guess from WWI service.

Now, I am going to try to remember which one of my books gives good listing of which divisions were stripped of personnel prior to deployment. I have it somewhere, finding it is going to be the trick.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I'm not so sure Jeff. Here is a picture of the 114th DUI. The tops are different.
    [​IMG]

3. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Lou, that is what is called the coat of arms. The regimental crest is what is commonly used in every day wear, like on the garrison cap in the picture. My old regiment (23rd US Infantry) has just the shield portion that was worn on our berets and class A uniforms. The coat of arms had the "frilly" and elaborate inscriptions, along with the unit motto (the 23rds was "WE SERVE" inscribed on a scroll under the shield. Go to wiki for pictures of both versions. Type in 23rd US Infantry Regiment and take a look at an example.

4. Slipdigit

I think the crest was added after the war.

Here is a drawing of it from Stanton's book.

Note they both have the Yin/Yang symbol and the 4 leaf clover and the motto is the same.

Attached Files:

• 114.jpg
      114.jpg
      File size:
      55.3 KB
      Views:
  5. MedicP3

MedicP3 Member

Wow! Great info! I have also found some more info in my search. Nothing directly about my grandfather, but I did find a map showing the battle lines, dates, and units of the 83rd ID at St. Malo.[​IMG]

6. Greg Canellis

Greg Canellis Member

The 121st Infantry Regiment was of the 8th Infantry Division, not the 9th Division.

Greg C.

7. MedicP3

MedicP3 Member

Just a quick note...I was wrong about the paratroopers. My dad found a letter that George had sent home to his mother (my great-grandmother) announcing that we had just successfully completed paratrooper training. He ended the letter with "geronimo." In Band Of Brothers, their "war cry" was "Curahee." I don't know if that is significant or just the standard "war cry" of paratroopers. My dad is supposed to scan this and send it to me. I'll post more as I find out more.

8. Slipdigit

9. MedicP3

MedicP3 Member

I found a picture of my grandfather with what I think is his platoon. I think this may have been taken during basic because he doesn't have his sharpshooter pin, or the "US" lapel pins, or his unit crest on his cap.
    [​IMG]

10. R. Kirkpatrick

R. Kirkpatrick recruit

I think your grandfather was in the 331 Infantry regiment and that the pin on his head it the see it through logo of the 331 infantry regiment 83rd Infantry Division. Look also on website Brothers in arms dave curry where you can find th story of the 331 infantry regiment

11. MedicP3

MedicP3 Member

I'm also convinced that, in this photo, he was with the 114th infantry regiment, 44th division. If you look closely at the soldier on the bottom left, his shoulder patch very closely resembles the 44th's patch.

12. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I think you may have something there. That, along with Jeff's ID of the crest, seems to favor the 114th.

13. Earthican

Earthican Member

Looking at this photo the barracks did not seem to be Southern US. I thought maybe West or Northwest. I checked the 44th Infantry Division locations and found Ft Lewis, WA from February 1942 to January 1944. Google searched images "fort lewis barracks wwii" and found pictures of the barracks that seem unique (I've never seen them before). What I think is distinctive is the long overhang with no fascia or sofit, just visible over his right shoulder.

Since the 44th ID was a National Guard outfit it did not go though a divisional training cycle of Basic (individual) and Collective (unit) training. According to the mobilization planning it should have received individuals that had basic and Infantry training from an Infantry Replacement Training Center (IRTC). However it seems that many divisions had to set-up special training programs to receive inductees straight from the reception centers. Based on the photos of your grandfather with his weapons qualification badge but also the Distinctive Unit Insignia of the 114th Infantry Regiment, leads me to think he was trained by the 114th Infantry. But I could not rule out an IRTC like Fort Blanding, FL.

"Also, looked again at his discharge papers and noticed that it shows he departed for England on 16 June 44 and arrived in England on 28 June 44. Don't know if this helps any, but thought it couldn't hurt."

This certainly would indicate he was an individual replacement. Any unit arriving in England in June would not get to Normandy before the breakout in late July. So it is likely he was "stripped" from the 44th ID to become an individual replacement. This policy gutted the division in training and generally pissed-off those individuals who were "stripped".

What does not fit is paratroop training. If he arrived in England as a qualified parachutist it does not seem likely he would be transferred back to the regular Infantry. The US Army had to set-up "Jump Schools" in England and canvas other units for volunteers to help fill the ranks of the Airborne divisions.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you find more.

14. Earthican

Earthican Member

I thought I would bump this thread before it disappears (seems to be a one year limit after the last post).

Have yet to find the unit this gentlemen served with but seems likely to be the 83d ID or the 121st Infantry of the 8th ID.(see note below)

Summary of info:

George R. Young

Born in May of 1924

"Date of Induction: 17 Feb 43"

trained with 114th Infantry (44th ID), most likely at Ft Lewis, Washington

Discharge paper states he was a "Rifleman (745)". His qualification was "Sharpshooter (194)."

May have attended paratroop training, letter home (Ft Benning ?)

Most likely as an individual replacement:

he departed for England on 16 June 44 and arrived in England on 28 June 44.

Assigned to what infantry regiment? (most likely 329th, 330th, 331st [83d ID] or 121st [8th ID])

served in Normandy and Brittany, France, being wounded on 8 Aug. 1944 in St. Malo, France.

[Note: However this St Malo may be a red herring. Family lore had it as St Lo. OP thinks it could be St Malo. By 8 Aug 1944 the 24 July 1944 "St Lo Breakout" is still in full swing with the German counter-strike at Mortain on 6 Aug 1944]

I checked the Morning Reports for the rifle companies of the 329th and 1st and 2d Bn of the 331st Infantry (all that's available online, maybe more later), here:

83rd Infantry Division Documents - Morning Reports

According the AAR of the 121st Infantry, they launched a major attack on 8 August.

121st Infantry Regiment in WW2

15. dga99

dga99 Member

Does his discharge papers show the day he sailed from Europe and arrived back in US. I can look at New York Times to see which ships arrived that day and which units were on them.
    Darryl

16. dga99

dga99 Member

Attached Files:

17. dga99

dga99 Member

Departure date is different from discharge papers and for 114th Infantry Regiment.
    Darryl

18. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

This was addressed in posts #22 thru 24. The above image is the 114th's coat of arms. The DUI of the 114th, which was derived from the CoA, looks like this:

View attachment 17928

Attached Files:

19. MedicP3

MedicP3 Member

Well, I FINALLY FOUND HIM!!! On D-Day's anniversary, no less!

I Followed Earthican's link to the 83rd's morning reports, saw that 331st, 3rd btn. was posted, and found him in Company K (first page of the PDF)! The After Action Report for 8 Aug, shows that by day's end, Company K was "well into the outskirts of St. Malo." This fits our family lore that he was wounded in urban fighting at an overpass. Further, during the action on 8 Aug., 3rd btn., 331st, was attached to the 330th west of Parame. Looking on Google Earth, there is one bridge overpass that is in that exact area. (Sure, construction and roads can change a lot in 70 years, but hey, who knows?!).

Also, on the morning report of 11 Aug, it shows he was evacuated to the 53rd field hospital on 9 Aug.!

Thanks to everyone who has contributed!!!!!!! It has really meant a LOT to me and my family! I will continue to try to connect the dots from here on out. Please keep the info and discussion coming!
    Thanks to all!!

20. Slipdigit

Good show!