Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Retracing the 110th Infantry Regiment's history

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Kiltedpilot, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Earthican

Earthican Member

I'm confused (again) neither the 1st Cavalry Division nor the 1st Cavalry Regiment were at Fort Riley.

I did find the Cavalry Replacement Training Center (CRTC) at Fort Riley but they titled their training units: 1st Cavalry Training Squadron, 2d Cavalry Training Squadron, etc. I believe they trained both horse cavalry and vehicle crews for mechanized cavalry.

The Cavalry School, like The Infantry School at Fort Benning, trained officers at the Cavalry Officers Candidate School. They organized the 29th Cavalry Regiment (School Composite) in 1943 to support that mission. The 773rd Detachment might have performed a similar role before the 29th CR was activated. However the 2d and 14th Cavalry were also at Fort Riley until converted to Armor in 1942.

Other activities at TCS were the development of cavalry doctrine and field manuals. With its generic number, it's possible the 773rd Detachment was an experimental unit testing proposed doctrine.

IIRC the cavalry regiment had the Pack 75mm howitzer if we need a cannon/artillery connection. But is there a horse cavalry connection in his record?

2. Earthican

Earthican Member

That site lists locations as

Nohra, Thuringia – 11 May 1945 (bivouac)
    Sankt Wendel, Saarland – 4 June 1945
    Schwäbisch Hall, Baden-Württemberg – 14 July 1945 (bivouac)

The 28th ID was at Kaiserslautern as of 23 April 1945 per
    http://www.history.army.mil/documents/ETO-OB/28id-eto.htm

My other source has the 28th ID still at Kaiserslautern in August.

Sankt Wendel is just west of Kaiserslautern.

I suspected they were post war photos but no need to take my word for it.

3. Bolin45

Bolin45 New Member

My mother-in-law's uncle, Pvt. John T. Kink, was in the 110th Co. C. He passed away in 2011 and we found his discharge papers. He had a nervous breakdown and was honorably discharged in May or June of 1945. He was shipped back home from Europe in Feb. 1945 to a Army hospital in Michigan. After doing some research, it seems to make sense why he would have had mental problems, given what happened to his company. He would never talk about the war and he always became a recluse around Christmas. I would like to find out more about John if possible. If anyone has any roster info for Company C or any action reports they could share I would be grateful. I appreciate any help as well.