Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Royal Navy Question

Discussion in 'Atlantic Naval Conflict' started by Stevin, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Thanks again, Gordon! This case intrigues me. Though sources in Holland are non-existant. I hope to visit to Amsterdam archives in the next two weeks or so and get info on the burial of A/S Wayman from that source.

Do you think a RN man will be on an Army Roll of Honour?? If he is it would be great to learn his DoB and his last know address.

Again, thanks for all your help in on this one, Gordon. I was at a loss where to look for info on this guy, him being RN and all. Air Force and Army are usually not a problem, but RN. And he is the only RN in Amsterdam. I photographed the graves of several in Rotterdam, which is understandable, as that is a seaport-city. One guy there from a MTB that was sunk off Terschelling (WAY to the North), in an exchange with S-boote, if I remember correctly. Sorry to say that that info was lost recently in a crash... :mad:

2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Stevin,
    I stand corrected; the army roll of honour is exactly that. Don't know why I assumed it was a general database!(slinks into corner and hides.......) [​IMG]
    Anyway, I'm still going to try and look at that list in the National Library I told you about. It might throw some fresh light on the subject (notwithstanding my own stupidity, of course) ;)
    I found the following list of Public Record Office files which might help:
    Admiralty series;
    ADM 53-Ship's logs.
    ADM 104- Medical Depts; Service Registers of Deaths and Injuries.
    ADM 187 War of 1939-45, Pink List. Printed sheets showing the stations and voyages of HM and Allied ships. Issued at 2-3 days intervals.
    CM4- Directorate of Defence Services I(Army); Graves and cemetery files.These relate to maintenance of UK graves and cemeteries at home and abroad. Some files relate to Navy personnel.
    Ministry of Transport series
    MT 59-Shipping Control and Operations;Correspondence & Papers
    MT 63-Port & Transit
    MT 65-Statistics.
    If you access the National Archive's website (www.pro.gov.uk/ will still work),you'll see a list of accredited independent researchers.
    Most of these guys will come and go on fees if you're financially embarassed at the moment-the last one I used did.

Regards,
    Gordon

[ 22. January 2004, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: The_Historian ]

3. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Thanks all the same. The info you have provided already gave me a lot of insight in Wayman's wartime career and several leads.

Do you know whether that Army Roll of Honour at your local library is the Commenwealth War Grave Commission's Roll of Honour? Or is this a special "Army issue"?

4. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Stevin,
    The Army roll of honour is a special one created by the Naval & Military Press in the UK. Basically, they took the official records books and created two cd-roms-Soldiers died in the Great War, and the Army Roll of Honour 1939-45.
    Both of these are available from their website at www.naval-military-press.co.uk.
    As far as I know, there are no equivalents for the RAF or RN yet. For general enquiries, the CWGC website is still about the only option.
    Regards,
    Gordon

[ 23. January 2004, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: The_Historian ]

5. hornerwayman

hornerwayman recruit

Hello

Harold Wayman is most likely my Grandfather. According to my Aunts the ship had just been commissioned and was on it's first voyage. Information has only been released to relatives over the last 15 years or so. The ship was sunk, it hit a mine on the way to pick up the rest of it's crew. We are still trying to find out more. This was Harolds' first voyage. We don't know why the body ended up so far away.

I found this site trying to find out more about him myself.

6. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Perhaps some others here will be able to help better then myself, but here is what I found. It Appears that you grandfather, Able Seaman Harold R. Wayman was the Only casualty of SS Greenland, Struck by a mine on 6 December 1941. He is burried in Amsterdam, Holland.
    Here is two links I found, icluding one to a thread on this forum from four years ago.
    http://www.ww2f.com/atlantic-naval-conflict/13946-ss-greenland.html
    S.S. Greenland

I found no mention as to the ships mission.

7. hornerwayman

hornerwayman recruit

http://www.maritimequest
    Daily event Dec 6 1941 2007
    Take this link to the site or search maritimequest s.s. greenland and you will get a list of the other crew who died. There was onaly a skeleton crew on board. Galloway, Greegan, Hamilton, MacDonald, Mitchell, Robertson, Stewert, Talor and Wayman. It is possible that the mine was ours!!! (On one site it says mine unknown!) I am sure my aunt who has been to the archives said the mine was Brittish.

Greenland, steamship
    WAYMAN, Harold R, Act/Able Seaman, D/JX 267728, (President III, O/P), MPK

I am having trouble tracking granddads birth too!