Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Second Attack on Pearl Harbor

Discussion in 'Pearl Harbor' started by formerjughead, Jun 19, 2010.

1. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Learned something new today while researching Japanese attacks off the West Coast of California.

In March of 1942 there was was a plan to bomb Pearl Harbor, by "Emily Sea Planes, to disrupt repair operations in the wake of the the 7 December attack. The final leg of the attack, code named: Operation K, would depart after refueling by submarine from French Frigate Shoals. Two Planes would take part in the mission and neither managed to come close to hitting anything but the ground.

Operation K - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

There's a book out on this, Amazon will probably have it.

3. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I had read about the second raid that was planned in as a part of the Midway Campaign before, but not this one. Interesting reading indeed.

4. formerjughead

While I am naturally hesitant to trust "fecalpedia" completely; it did make for an interesting read while the wife was napping.

It would be interesting to compare the timeline for Operation K with that of the Doolittle Raid; at first blush it appears to have been an incredible missed oppurtunity for the IJN and their bus load of english speaking uberninja. (I will not let that go :p)

5. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I miss dabrob sometimes....

6. Takao

Takao Ace

Why? He is good only for entertainment. It was easier discussing things with a wall than it was with him. He is always right and never wrong... On one oh is "recent tantrums" over at AHF, he posted a link to a source that he said supported his position, however, when I went on the website and looked through the information, it did not support his position. His "excuse" was a "typo." Now the way the paragraph was worded, there is now way it was just a typo, he never read the source in the first place.

Well, anyway, Google books The second attack on Pearl Harbor ... - Google Books

The gist of the wiki article is correct. However, I am left wondering about the "5 planes" that were initially intended for the raid. The "Emily" had not yet entered production, and there were three, maybe four prototypes flying. It may have been wishful thinking on the Japanese part and the development of the Emily was taking longer than expected.

I don't see it as a missed opportunity for the Japanese. It shows the great difficulties of carrying out an extended campaign, over long distances, on what is a "shoestring" budget. With the loss of I-23, no weather reports could be sent, so the pilots had no way of knowing what conditions to expect over the target. Other than that, the mission went off without a hitch.

7. formerjughead

The "missed oppurtunity" was the Doolittle Raid package in transit from Alameda. Once the K plan was abandoned IJN subs stopped patrolling so close to the west coast.

8. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Yes, he was good for nothing except entertainment. I liked the way dabrob kept getting himself hammered. What a maroon. He spiced things up a bit in his short tenure here.