Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Sgt. Paul Ernst Kaess (1921-2002)- German Army in WWII

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by briankaess, Jun 20, 2015.

1. briankaess

briankaess New Member

Christiane Botzet (of the Military Archives in Freiburg) sent an email on Oct 5 2018 stating that the research for Paul Ernst Kaess was completed by her colleague Mrs. Sheerman on Feb 2012 and that no documents had been found for him. Christiane Botzet said there is a reference for documents pertaining to Viktor Drozdzok in the Reich Dept of the Federal Archive in Berlin. Viktor Drozdzok (1889-1969) was a Father-in-Law to Paul Ernst Kaess. It is known Viktor Drozdzok/Dorschke served in the Prussian Infanterie-Regiment 395 during WWI. His role in WWII is not known, but he had a residence in Ratibor during the war.

Address is:
    Federal Archives
    Finckenstein Avenue 63
    12205 Berlin
    Germany
    Email: berlin@bundesarchiv.de

2. briankaess

briankaess New Member

Attached is a 1934 Nazi Party document indicating Viktor Dorschke's name change from Viktor Drozdzok.

Attached Files:

3. jmarie

jmarie New Member

Did your grandfather still believe in Hitler's cause and methods at the end of the war? Great that you know so much.

4. briankaess

briankaess New Member

Hard to say. He never told me. However, in the early part of the war, he tried to join the SS, but was denied. He even told me once, 'Du hast total andere Mentalitat' or 'You have a total different way of thinking.' I guess he was like that because I was American.

5. Flybum62

Flybum62 New Member

Awesome read. Thanks for writing this.

6. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Great post Brian!
    He should have been glad that he couldn´t join the SS. They had sometimes a worse time after the surrender.

7. briankaess

briankaess New Member

Attached are 7 documents from a Ludwigsburg Spruckhammer/Denazification file for Paul Ernst Kaess. Folder (2).jpg Party Inventory Cont.jpg Polizei statement.jpg Signed Cover.jpg Signed Statement.jpg Work Sheet.jpg

Gebirgsjaeger likes this.
  8. briankaess

briankaess New Member

On March 7 2019, Brian Paul Kaess received a batch of 17 documents/scans from the Staatsarchiv Ludwigsburg in Ludwigsburg, Germany. These documents were from a 24 page Denazification/Spruckhammer file for Paul Ernst Kaess (1921-2002). One of these documents (attached below) contained medal/award info for Paul. There was a list of Medals/Awards at the bottom of the Military Service section. They read as follows:

1) Ostmedalie (Eastern Front Medal) 1942
    2) EK.II. (Iron Cross 2nd Class) 1943
    3) EK.I. (Iron Cross 1st Class) 1943
    4) Sturm abzekhen I.u.II.Stuffe (General Assault Badge 1st & 2nd Step)
    5) Erwundstewabzeichen Schwarz Grunde und Tapfer Keit (Wounds Badge 3rd Class for Bravery) 1944

Maybe anyone out there familiar with German military medals can help me translate the above awards. Thanks!
    Paul Ernst Kaess Unit location history.jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    Gebirgsjaeger likes this.
  9. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Wow what an great collection of paperwork! Sad that nothing like this is existing from my grandpa.
    The medals are correct translated except a part of the last: Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz für Tapferkeit = Wound Badge 3rd class, reason is bravery. So this is a interesting reason.
    For his bravery he had the EK II and the EK I. Normally the wound badge is given for beeing wounded not for bravery. It was given as a golden, silver and black one. The black one was also given for having frostbites at the eastern front. And for this reason the soldiers renamed it to "Gefrierfleischorden" wich is more or less like "Freezing meat medal"
    Great story thank you!

10. briankaess

briankaess New Member

Annual Pay Rate Paul Kaess.jpg NSDAP HJ statement Paul Kaess.jpg Paul Kaess Spruckhammer 4.jpg Paul Kaess statement 1.jpg Some more documents to support the story of Sgt. Paul Ernst Kaess (19221-2002) Paul Kaess Personal Info.jpg Paul Ernst Kaess Foreign Travel.jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019 at 10:46 AM