Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Sgt. Paul Ernst Kaess (1921-2002)- German Army in WWII

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by briankaess, Jun 20, 2015.

1. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

As a follow-up, StuG-Abtl 190 attachments at different times were:

22 June 1941 - 11. Armee
    22 June 1942 - LIV Armee-Korps, 11. Armee
    7 July 1943 - Heresgruppe-Mitte Reserve

2. briankaess

briankaess Member

Richard, thank you for your insights on my Grandpa Paul's service record. Feel free to add any more information you can find. You said he was 'called up.' Does that mean he was conscripted? What records are you looking at about Paul? How do you know he had a weeks home leave? Any answers you provide will be appreciated.

Unrelated, the photos of Paul Ernst Kaess shown above in previous posts were digital copies taken from a family heirloom book that was given to Brian Paul Kaess during his visit to his Grandfather Paul Ernst Kaess in 1990 in SW Germany. The heirloom book was in the possession of Brian Paul Kaess until 1996 when it was given to Garret Thomas Kaess, his brother, in 1996, for safekeeping. It has remained in his possession until the present and is currently in his study dresser in his wife's home in Noblesville, Indiana.
    The heirloom book contains about 30-50 photos, mostly of Paul Ernst Kaess, Dorothea Dorschke, Gerd Edwin Paul Kaess, Hildegard Golz, Arnhild Kaess and some of Dorschke family members. Many of these photos have been digitally preserved at find a grave.com Other digital copies have been donated to the Allen County Public Library. Needless to day, the Kaess heirloom book is a priceless family treasure.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  3. harolds

harolds Member

Brian, I noticed that your grandfather was a party member. Did you ever get a read on how he felt about the nazi movement?

4. briankaess

briankaess Member

I believe he joined the Nazi Party on Sep 1 1939, so I'm assuming he was a zealous Nazi. I never heard him talk about the Nazi's, just the German Army.

5. harolds

harolds Member

A lot of ambitious people joined the party as a way to get ahead after the war. Naturally, they thought they'd win and so a good war record, plus party membership would give them a "leg up" on any jobs.