Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Showing my WWII stamp collection

Discussion in 'Trench Art' started by Skipper, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

[​IMG]

Another nice sample of my collection : Liberation of a Würtenberg town with date of the Liberation and the V for Victory overprinted on Hitler.

2. bigfun

bigfun Ace

like that last one Skip!!

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I will post more later, if there any requests , I will see what I have. I have more German occupation issues, 1945 occupied Gemrany issues, Poland Gen Government, Bohemia and Moravia , Estonia etc... coming. It takes time to scan them so be patient. I hope they are appreciated.

4. Sturmkreuz

Sturmkreuz Member

WOW! Skipper you have more of these?

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

No I'm afraid not. They belong to a faily rare collection and they are quite difficult to get. You will notice that the only one I could find is slightly damaged. These stamps were used to raise funds for the Flemish Waffen SS volunteers. If you like these, I have posted similar ones for the Dutch (Legioen Nederland) and French (LVF /Charlemagne) volonteers.

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Here are some very rare Vichy government issues. These stamps were ordered for internal use only. However when they were ready, it was decided that official Government mail did in fact not need postage stamps. The stock was put somewhere in warehouse and never issued. After the war these stamps became embarrassing. They bore a huge FRANCISC which was the symbol of Vichy and linked to collaboration, so it was decided to destroy the entire stock by dumping them in acid.
    Fortunately, one of the workers was a collector and managed to hide a few sheets under his clothes every day. The copies with orignal glue are extremely rare. The worker sold the surviving stock to a stamp dealers and this is how they came on the market. Over the years i have managed to get about half of this collection.
    [​IMG]

7. Sturmkreuz

Sturmkreuz Member

No selling either?

Indeed, there are more things which raised funds for the volunteers.

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

It's the only copy I have so I will keep it for now. However If you go to stamp dealers in Belgium they sometimes have them. I don't know how much they would sell for. I will try to find out.

Here are some occupied Estonia issues with billingual text with German and Estonian. The name sof the Estonian towns have been Germanized too (the medieval Teutonic knight names)

[​IMG]

9. Sturmkreuz

Sturmkreuz Member

Thanks and beautiful ESTLAND!

I'll look for poststamps too for you I know sometimes that a guy sells many.

10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

You're welcome Sturm. Let me check about the value first. If we know what these stamps are worth, we'd be in a better position. The main problem however is to find them, because they are not easy to spot. By the way have you checked your helping the enemy thread lately? I've posted a new pic for you.

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

And what about this one? Did you know some parts of France were still occupied in May 1945. This is a SAINT Nazaire Pocket Registred letter from the last days of the war. It is obvious philatelic, but it is a very intersting use of Petain stamps many months after the Vichy government fled to Germany. Note the special wink from the sender who has glued the stamps sothat they make a tricolor combination! :cool: It has the mention POCHE DE L'ATLANTIQUE . ILOT DE ST. NAZAIRE

[​IMG]

12. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

I leave some threads on here to 'mature' a bit without looking at 'em as I know they'll be good ones.
    Great stuff Skipper!

Particularly the post VE day and Vichy ones; the overmarked V for victory marking is marvellous.
    And as for the tricolor... :D

Cheers,
    Adam.

13. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Thanks Adam, I will keep posting more. It takes a lot of time to scan them because I have to remove some from the albums first. I have more to come, including Corsica, Soviet zones etc..

14. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

German occupation of the Channel Islands (Jersey) . Notice that the occupation troops have respected the recommended universal postal Union colors (red = priority 1st class , green = postcard rate or second class. There is no blue for abroad for obvious censorship reasons). These are also the fists local stamps issued on the Island. These stamps were used on the island or for inter Island connections.

[​IMG]

15. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Here some General Gouvernement issues (Occupied Poland) with the mention GROSSDEUTSCHES REICH. There were quite a few, so I picked a samples and a nice Wehrmacht cancelation from THE HEERES VERWALTUNG RADOM (Military administration RADOM). The stamps are Polish cities with their German names LEMBERG = LVOW

[​IMG]

16. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

A sample of the many Böhmen und Mahren stamps I have (Bohemia and Moravia)
    The overprint celebrates the third anniversary of the occupation of the Czech Republic by Hitler's troops. (15 III 1939 - 15 III 1942) This is also shortly before Heydrich's death and the massacre of Lidice.

[​IMG]

17. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

And here a reminder that our Baltic friends have been occupied by the Soviets a year before Barbarossa: 1940 Soviet occupation overprints on lithuanian issues.

[​IMG]

18. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Some more nice temporary overprints on Hitler stamps when the Soviets occupied Glachau. The kinds of stamps you don't see eveyday! I have not identified the FELPOST Overprint the currency is KG or is it a kriegie issue from a Stalag?

[​IMG]

Za Rodinu likes this.
  19. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

This is one of my favorites

This LUFT FELDPOST LETTER actually travelled from the OstFront (if somone knows the Felpost codes the exact location would be welcome) to France(or Germany, I would have to check the destination Feldpost nummer too) . It took about a month to get there . The lette ris from March 1944.
    It has a great cancelation.

[​IMG]

20. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Not very pricey but I "love" my mannerheim stamp series....