Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Showing my WWII stamp collection

Discussion in 'Trench Art' started by Skipper, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hello cckerberos! Thank you for the compliment, if you have some nice WWII items from the Pacific theater I would love to see a few. I know the Japanese had many local issues in the occupied countries but I don't have any of these. I have however a lot of former French colonial issues. I will scan a few in the future and scan them.

2. cckerberos

cckerberos Member

Sure thing. I'll see if I can get some scans up over the next few days.

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

That's fine, in the meantime I shall scan a few of my French French Issues

4. cckerberos

cckerberos Member

Okay, here are a few:

[​IMG]

These were issued in 1943 by the Naval Civil Administration and were used in the areas of the Dutch East Indies that were controlled by the IJN.

[​IMG]

The top four are Manchukuo (the Japanese puppet state in Manchuria) stamps and celebrate the construction of the national capitol. The lower three are stamps of Manchukuo overprinted with the words "Republic of China" after the war.

[​IMG]

These are Japanese definitive stamps overprinted by the American military in early 1946 for use in Korea.

Skipper likes this.
  5. bigfun

bigfun Ace

Very nice! Thanks!

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Some really nice additions here. It's the first time I see these Japanese occupation stamps issued in Dutch currency with cents and guldens. Thanks a lot for postings these. I'll post more very soon. I still need to scan some stuff and I am going to a flee market tomorrow and hope to find some WWII militaria and stamps there too.

7. cckerberos

cckerberos Member

Those are definitely my favorite Japanese war issues. The Japanese also issued original stamps in Burma, the Philippines, Java, Malaya, and Sumatra. They also made *tons* of overprints (over 1,000 for China alone). Most of them have very cheap catalog values but it's almost impossible to find full, unused sets for sale. I've never been to a local flea market, but that's something I should consider.

8. cckerberos

cckerberos Member

Here are some European issues that I don't believe were posted earlier:

[​IMG]

These are from the Slovak Republic that was set up after Germany grabbed Czechoslovakia and created the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia.

[​IMG]

These are stamps from the Sudetenland, locally handstamped with "Wir sind frei!" ("We are free!")

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stamps issued by the Polish government-in-exile. There's also one Hungarian stamp from immediately after the Soviet occupation.

9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Some more great issues. I like the ones from the Polish exile government. It's esay to recognize aircrafts and vehicles. I don't speak polish but I understand a few key words that may help you on these stamps: Lotnictwo= airforce, Wojsko = army, polskie= polish, Brytanii = England, Francji= France, Marynarka= Navy, Norwegii= Norway, Prasa = press?

Also you probably noticed that on one of your Sudeten stamps the overprint is only partial (the purple Haleru one) , which makes it interesting.

10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Here some Free French issues from territories that could not be occupied by the Axis:

1) Martinique, in the West Indies Free French Issues.

[​IMG]

2) ST pierre and Miquelon Free French issues (French Ilsand near the Canadian coast)
    [​IMG]

11. abutt1

abutt1 recruit

What wonderful images! I jumped over from the Stamp Community. Glad I did.
    Allan

12. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Excellent stamps, thanx Skipper!

13. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Glad you jumped over and I'm happy to see that this thread is connecting stamp and militaria collectors. I collect both :)

Thanks for the kind words Kai, I'll add more WW2 occupation stamps soon. I put them in the art section on purpose because some are truly masterworks.