Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Skipper's trench art collection.

Discussion in 'Trench Art' started by Skipper, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Kruska

Kruska Member

Hello Skipper,

Phhhee - you sure have a beauty there. Are there existing exibitions in regards to Trench-Art? or any known artists trying to make a name for themselves?

Regards
    Kruska

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Yes there are a few exhibitions here and there . As to the artists, the last "Poilu" (Landsherr in German I believe) passed away this year, so there are not many famous artists left if there ever were. 99% percent of those artist wil remain anonymous for ever. The Pelican was made on a German shell, so maybe it wa smade by a German, but that's impossible to tell. They certainly did not want to make a name, but sell these when they had leaves, they would also ask their relatives to sell them for them at home so that they could get some extra money to buy food. Those who bought them made a patriotic gesture by helping soldiers to get better food.

3. Kruska

Kruska Member

Hello Skipper,

thanks for the interesting information - I didn't know about the roots or causes for this art - I thought it is some art trend that just sprung up recently- and was wondering why they are all somewhat Art Deco like.

Regards
    Kruska

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Oh no they are vintage and were made by the soldiers during the war. :)
    I collect shells but there are all sort of other items like lighters, cigarette hoses, toys etc...

5. LippyP

LippyP Member

I have an interesting pair, its two small bullet cases of about 15mm calibre, and 10cm in length, brass one has K37 P.I. and the other K39P.II. on the base with a pair of brass cap badges I think on the top. They are a brass star with a central cross and the royal motto around the edge "Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense" Detail is a bit faded though as they've been lovingly polished for 90 odd years.

They came from my late grandfather who was a trooper in the 4th/7th Irish Dragoons when WWI broke out (he died in 1990 and at the time was the last man left alive who took part in the first action involving british troops in the great war) so they are very precious to me. I know my mum has his cavalrymans spurs at home but sadly his medals went to my cousin who had no real interest in them. I don't think they are his cap badges but they may well be from one of my other relatives as I know my grandmother lost a couple of brothers.

[​IMG]

Skipper likes this.
  6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hi Lippy this is another great example of trench art. It must be very special to you because they are related to your ancestor. Thank you for sharing this with us.

7. bigfun

bigfun Ace

all very nice items! thanks to you both for sharing!

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

How to turn German bullets into a candlestick :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    this is a view from the bottom angle

9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hmm , feeling lonely here, no one has noticed my beauties. Oh well, never mind, I have more art to show. This one is a 75er that was turned into a church vase and was either used for a field mass or in a proper church. Until recently these were sometimes used in Churches for Mass. It was a donation from a friend, but it needed cleaning. I could still see there used to be some white paint on it , so I managed to restore it. Here is a picture from before and after. The bottom is still a bit dirty but I want it to dry another day before the final cleaning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. bigfun

bigfun Ace

that candlestick holder is pretty neat!

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I was wondering whether someone could recognize the buckle used to put the German bullets together.

12. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

another little gem: a trench art lighter made out of a bullet. I has a wheel and flint stone and it still works after all those years.

[​IMG]

13. bigfun

bigfun Ace

Very nice!

What kind of buckle Skipper? Boot, or belt or?????

14. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I wouldn't know, possibly a German WWI bag, but that's just a guess. Despite the freezing weather here, I will be hunting for more tomorrow morning.

15. bigfun

bigfun Ace

Gotcha! I was just curious! Happy hunting! I know I don't have to remind you to post the pics here!:D

16. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Don't forget to have a look at the "my newest military" thread too. This particular thread is just a place for my trench art ,I put all the other items on the other thread. You should see the wooden bullets for instance :cool:

17. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

two more items found at the local fleemarket this week! Another trench lighter and a letter opener made with a 1911 Mauser bullet. Both have been used, this is why the tip of the opener is a bit crunched and the lighter has a bump because thisis where it was pressed by fingers and pockets. :) They are otherwise in great condition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

You have a tremedous collection! How many pieces do you have now? Soon you will need to hire a curator to manage your collection and someone to stand at your front door to collect admission from anyone who comes to your musuem/home!

19. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

My collection is actually rather modest and it still fits in my home. The two above items don't take much space and didn't ost me a fortune either. It's a matter of knowingwhat you are looking for, where to look and luck. Would you beleive me I go there at 11.30 at the very end? Most people who go there at 05.00 am think they get tit all, but they are just "blind". When I go I find , and there is no need to be rich either.

What about this hot water bottle made out of a 1917 USA 75er? These were used in the trenches under clothes and blankets to protect from cold feet etc.... They were later used by civilians. I put some hot wate rin it the other day and it still works.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kai-Petri likes this.
  20. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

How to recycle German imperial buttons and bullets into a pen holder? :)
    I love this little bugger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

krieg likes this.