Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Star Wars Episode III

Discussion in 'The Members Lounge' started by Boba Nette, May 11, 2005.

1. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Actually I'm not reeling off specs.I'm just continueing a humorous line of thought first discussed in the movie 'CLERKS'.If you haven't seen it,I highly recommend it.

2. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Ofcourse not, all are death, Darth Vader, yoda and obi-wan so why should they make another movie?????

My understanding from a friend of mine who is really into films is that Lucas originally intended to make 3 films, each would be something like between 4 to 6 hours long, but was persuaded against this as it was reckoned the public as a whole would be put off by such epics especially since at the time Sci-fi films were really pretty poor cliched affairs.

So he settled on the idea of breaking the saga into smaller parts, the first of the epics would become Episode I, II and II, the second of the epics would become IV, V and VI, and the third epic would naturally become VII, VIII and IX.

The first trilogy would deal with the collapse of the Republic and the rise of the Empire and Emperor, the second trilogy would deal with the Rebellion and eventual defeat of the Empire and the third would deal with the founding of the New Republic and the struggles of the former allies within the Rebellion as they came to terms with the fact that the only thing they really had in common was the common enemy: The Empire.

Lucas then settled on IV as the most marketable, followed by V and VI, then a twenty year break before I, then II and of course III.

So based on what my friend explained to me, that's the first two of the Epics out of the way, leaving the last third of the saga still to go.

On the other hand as Jeffery said, the ending of Return of the Jedi does leave things fairly neat as it is. Maybe Lucas will leave it there, or maybe the original plan as was explained to me was wrong and Lucas only ever intended to make two Epics/Trilogys.

Anyone know any better?

3. Notmi

Notmi New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well, after episode VI emperor and darth vader were dead. But was empire dead?

4. PMN1

PMN1 recruit

via TanksinWW2
    An emperor clone was dead, in the comic book, they just wheeled out another.

5. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    But according to one of Jefferey's explanations you can only Clone "Normal" men, not Jedi and presumably not Sith either, the Emperor that Darth Vader threw into the core of Deathstar MkII clearly appeared to have Jedi/Sith powers. Besides surely cloning yourself if you're the Emperor is a bad idea? Having another one of you running around with those Jedi/Sith powers and all the ambition and vindictiveness... it'd be only a matter of time before the Clone decided that perhaps it'd be more fun being the main Emperor for a bit.

If cloning is that commonplace how come the Jedi were so completely screwed so quickly? All that business with Obi-wan and "That boy is our last hope..." on Degobah with Yoda and Luke... They should have let him go then and just got him to leave a DNA sample and some spare Jedi-blood behind! :lol:

6. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Lucas should quit while he is ahead

7. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Arguably he should have quit back when he was ahead... ;)

8. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    LOL!

Yup, as far as I am aware, there *should* be a VII, VIII & IX, but I'm fairly sure there will not be.
    Besides, there are more than enough novels, comics, cartoons etc that have effectively told their story.

9. Notmi

Notmi New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Actually, in one of those post -episode VI books there is a clone of Luke with fairly good amount of Jedi-skills (if I remember correctly).

10. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    In a post-VI graphic novel I read in my public library there was a clone who had Jedi training, and did very well. He died on active service, and his next-clone-in-line came to the academy. He also had the Force...

Mind you, anything 'non-film' is not to be accepted as truth in the Star Wars Universe - only Lucas can set the rules.

11. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yup, as far as I am aware, there *should* be a VII, VIII & IX, but I'm fairly sure there will not be.

I'm interested as to why you think that, afterall go back 15 years and how many of us would have seriously expected to see I, II and III? (How many people even really realised that the original films were supposed to be the middle trilogy of a saga?)

All in all I'd agree though, Lucas is seeming to me a bit fed up with the saga as a whole now (I admit I'm just going by the occassional snippet of interview or quote I've seen here), I guess partly because of the luke-warm (Pardon the pun) reception that the prequels seem to have got up until now, I think he'll possibly want to leave it there.

That said Lucas himself is not going to be around forever, unless he stipulates something specifically in his will it wouldn't take a huge leap of the imagination for someone to step into his shoes and pick up where he left off. They'd almost certainly get funding for it, give a few years and VII would be almost garranteed to be a financial success.

The novels, comics, etc are only any good to those who've actually read them and/or have the inclination to (And as I'm amongst those who haven't, my ignorance of the future of the Starwars universe is likely to remain), I have to admit though going into a book shop it's actually a bit off-putting seeing how many Starwars books and novels there are, I just find myself thinking that I'd never catch up, and in any case am not really that much of a die-hard fan, I can carry on quite happily in my ignorance without needing to know... :lol:

12. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Maybe without Lucas directing the movies the last trilogy might be a bit better than the first two... I hope so. :D

A question about Jedis going to the Dark Side: why do they have to be called "Darth something" all of a sudden? Is it a kind of rank title?

13. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    How did you get the name Darth Vader?

"Darth" is a variation of dark. And "Vader" is a variation of father. So it's basically Dark Father. All the names have history, but sometimes I make mistakes -- Luke was originally going to be called Luke Starkiller, but then I realized that wasn't appropriate for the character. It was appropriate for Anakin, but not his son. I said, "Wait, we can't weigh this down too much -- he's the one that redeems him."

From Lucas himself... :D

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/ ... 6.0.8.1024

14. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Actually, Lucas may or may not have known that "vader" is the Dutch word for "father". :D

15. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    because that is what every Star Wars fan I know says, what most media reports say...
    Basically this is what I have heard. :cool:

16. PMN1

PMN1 recruit

via TanksinWW2
    BUMP....

....again for no real reason.

:smok: :D

17. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well, I saw Episode III for the first time on Friday...

I was not terribly impressed - too many silly things.

Warning - if you have not yet seen it, this may spoil it for you!

1) why does not Obi Wan knock the Blister 'bots off his fighter using the force?

2) why, when the Seperatist Battleship manouvered onto its side (relative to the other ships in the battle) did everybody on board fall over, and the wall become the floor?

3) Why was the big Space Battle fought at knifepoint?

4) why on earth are all the Turbo Laser stations open gun decks in the style of 18th Century warships, with large guns with limited traverse arranged in broadsides firing out of open gun ports. Open - to space.

5) why is R2 D2 suddenly an action hero?

5) and more - I can't be bothered to continue... :x

I appreciate that they had a lot to cram in to get us to where Episode IV starts, but hey.

18. hahnficken

hahnficken New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hummmmm.......why did the Wookies put Yoda/fozzie bear into a portaloo to send him into space?

:D

19. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    IMO it is a good example of what happens when one continues on beyond their original inspiration, driven by monetary concerns and ego.

The original was low budget and somewhat cheesy but fun and somehow compelling. The quality improved significantly in episode V and VI without becoming too silly and special effects driven.
    Episodes I, II and III should never have been made as they detracted from the quality of the series rather than adding..but they did make a ton of money ;)

20. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
    well if you look at it starwars takes some form history
    1.pod raises are alot like the romans an there chariots racers
    2.broadsides with batlte ships(i actully liked that part)
    3.battleplans in the I on are alot like sparten

I think they where and are good movies..