Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Sunk/Scrapped ship(s) you would have loved to see had they survived WWII and were preserved?

Discussion in 'Ships & Shipborne Weaponry' started by USS Washington, Sep 19, 2015.

1. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

I have thought about this topic, so many wonderful ships. I have spent my life in architecture so naval architecture actually transcends a ship's record tom me. I still like Prinz Eugen, admittedly it exceeded treaty limits but a well designed beautiful balanced heavy cruiser that meet an inglorious fate. I have to love all the tall pagoda IJN battleships for their design, something imposing about then as well as the German pocket battleships.

Built after much thought and as compromised as they were if I could only walk through a single WW2 ship it would be HMS Rodney . Any ship with a massive octopoidal rising behind her turrets would gain my favor.
    I have no interest in cruise ships, lord protect me, but I wish I could have sailed on a notable warship at some point in my life, rather than just walk through one.

On my bucket list is a trip through the USS Texas.

Gaines

2. Markus Becker

Markus Becker Member

Hey! No belittling the USS Missouri! ;)

How about another pairing? USS Missouri and USS Cowpens(CVL-25)? Than you have the Mighty Mo and the Mighty Moo side by side.

What would I like to see preserved? A Clemson class destroyer. They weren't the best but participated in quite a few important moments in history. USS Reuben James, USS Ward, DesRon 29, the many unsung APD, AVD and so on.

And SMS Schleswig-Holstein.

3. Takao

Takao Ace

Octopoidal?

Would that not be the Nagato, not Rodney?
    [​IMG]

4. Gothvain

Gothvain New Member

Why has no one mentioned the Bismark?

5. Dave55

Dave55 Member

Welcome to the forum

Of course I'd like to see the Bismarck but even if she wasn't sunk that probably wouldn't happen, Nazi loonys would be drawn to it like flys.

Best bet for a big German ship would have been Prince Eugen.

Have you ever seen her under US flag? I've always liked the pictures of her in Boston after the war.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/46/46300.htm