Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Allies have Landed

Discussion in 'Normandy Landing Beaches' started by Jim, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    Allied troops are shown here settled on the Normandy beaches after the 1st days battles against the German defences and now sending out much needed supplies to the beach-head a few miles away.

[​IMG]

US Medics treat wounded soldiers after the initial D-Day landings. Some of these Soldiers had to lie many hours before the medics could reach them due to the German Snipers.

[​IMG]

The massive build up of men and supplies continues to leave a Normandy beach. It is hard for us to realise the amount of supplies that were needed each day to keep the Germans on the retreat.

[​IMG]

Some of the first Germans to be taken prisoner by the Allies on French soil can be seen here rather content that their part of the war is no over, i guess after seeing the Armarda of ships that were facing them to surrender was their best option.

[​IMG]

2. dfisher

dfisher New Member

via War44
    Great pictures Jim. Must have been terrifying for the German defenders when they saw the sheer scale of the force coming across the channel. I think I would have been glad to surrender too :ahg:

3. wallstreeterww

wallstreeterww New Member

via War44
    Excellent pics there:happy:. My uncle Ernie was right in the middle of that action. I asked if he was worried about all of those machine guns firing at him. He said nah, it was those darn airplanes that bugged him.

4. -Spitfire-

-Spitfire- New Member

via War44
    Notice that on the second picture medics give aid to another medic.

Sebastiaan.

5. azalaeeight

azalaeeight New Member

via War44
    Those are amazing pictures, Jim. Maybe I've just missed something on here, but I was wondering where they came from.

I know you're certainly correct about its being difficult for us to imagine the numbers needed. In fact, I really think there's so much about what was going on at the time that most of us simply could not really imagine.