Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The biggest landbased guns in the world

Discussion in 'The Guns Galore Section' started by Skua, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Kellhound

Kellhound New Member

via TanksinWW2
    At last i can start posting those photos i owe the forum...

Ordoñez howitzer 24cm:
    [​IMG]

38'1cm "Vickers" at Ferrol (total 8 guns at the regiment)
    [​IMG]

2. scaramouche

scaramouche New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Good photos-particularly the 240 mm how! That reminds me, somewhere in the files l have a Spanish 305mm Ordoñez gun at Havana-which l'll post as soon as it turns up . In the meantime; here is a photo of an Argentine Krupp 240 L.35 coastal gun

3. Kellhound

Kellhound New Member

via TanksinWW2
  4. scaramouche

scaramouche New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Believe it or not Kellhound, the Cuban Army still had a number of these 1887 150mm Ordoñéz guns at the fortress of La Cabaña as late as the Second World War...with little (if any!) shells. The heavier caliber guns monted at various points in Cuba did not survive the US Occupation. Here's a 305 mm Ordoñez coastal gun "under new management" in 1898-note the US Army soldiers.

5. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    150mm sounds terribly small for a coastal battery. Is this purely because it was a 19th-century gun or were there other reasons for such a small calibre?

6. scaramouche

scaramouche New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Not really!, there were many guns in such caliber (150-155) used as coastal artillery-Vickers made many 6-inchers (152 mm) coastal guns and exported them in numbers prior to and after WW2-without looking at my notes, l can rattle of such customers as Brazil, Chile (both priot to and after WW1, namely c. 1922) Spain. The US as l noted in one artillery quiz used a British 6-inch as its mod. 1917 before passing it to Brazil-and the Germans made use of many a captured St, Chammond 145 mm guns as well as wide a variety of 155s In Holland, for coastal defense the Germans used Bofors 105 mm L.40 mm L.42 captured from the Dutch Army .In fact, prior to Pearl Harbor, many US coastal artillery regiments were equipped with French GPF 155s as well as its US equivalent; the 155 mod. 1918-.One fort l've vissited often-(Sandy Hook, NJ) had batteries of 303s suplemented by 152 mms, (some of these are still in place!) .As l see it,.It all depends on the needs and requirements-for one thing larger caliber guns had to be suplemented by smaller caliber pieces which in turn protect them from such thing as landing parties, or fast boats.. :p

P.S.: After l closed this post, l thought these photos might be of interest..Although fortifications have existed at Sandy Hook since the Revolutionary War,the fort depicted in this photo dates from around 1900.
    Until 1945 there were batteries of 12-inch guns in disappearing mounts, , similar to the one shown here-but these were removed at the end fo the war.

7. Kampfzug

Kampfzug New Member

via TanksinWW2
  8. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Thanks for the info, Scaramouche. I just thought that the calibre was more average to army artillery than naval guns, which in my mind are simply huge guns. I guess I need to read up a bit. ;)

9. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
    what is the caliber?
    who owns it :)

10. E. Rommel phpbb3

E. Rommel phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    What sthe range on those?

DId he Paris gun have the biggest range>