Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The eastern front in western culture

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe' started by Not One Step Back, Jun 14, 2010.

1. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Certainly the Germans themselves thought - "Wir Haben Das Verkehrte Schwein Geschlachtet" - roughly translasted means "we killed/butchered the wrong pig" - I think it comes down to the West relating far more to Germans and their culture than to the Soviets, who at the time, were seen as peasants and backwards. This ignorance of the USSR has led to a demonising and distortion which lasts to this day.

Sloniksp likes this.
  2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Sorry double up!

3. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

That's a good post.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hey Slava, thanks for the link to the Glantz info. I owe ya a salute for it too.

5. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Overdrawn the checkbook again, eh Carl?

6. Hilts

Hilts Member

The Germans or The Russians? Surely only half the question. My sympathy is only with the poor civilians of Poland, Ukriane, Germany etc.

The Germans carried out awful acts against the civilains as they went East and later in the war, The Soviets did likewise going West.

2 wrongs don't make a right, so I'm not even going down the 'who started it' route.

Terrible for the average family man caught up in it, whether his uniform was Brown or Field Grey.

But civilains? Get nailed by the Germans, then, sometimes years after, get 'liberated' by the Russians, only for the following NKVD Divisions to remove any partisan or liberal that might pose a possible threat to them.

No, it's the civilians get my vote.

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Bobby, always it seems ;-)) Thats part of the reason why it takes me forever to mail things out to those ive been wanting to send stuff to. I still owe Ray, Gordon, Skipper, yourself, Ulrich and?????? Heck, it took me almost 4 years to get a book to Erich. I had thought I had mailed it long ago, but found it when I decided to deep clean the trunk of my car. I found it hidden under one of the spare tires.

8. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

I just ran across this. Have not had time to delve into it deeply yet, but it sure looks promising.
    American Quarterly on the Soviet Union. Issues from 1938 - 1948

American Quarterly on the Soviet Union

TiredOldSoldier likes this.