Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Niihau Incident

Discussion in 'War in the Pacific' started by JCFalkenbergIII, Oct 16, 2008.

1. BobUlagsen

BobUlagsen Member

More paper bags.....

Office of Naval Intelligence memorandum for the Chief of Naval Operations, Feb 12, 1941,"Japanese Espionage Organization in the United States," which suggests that the information therein be brought to the attention of the President and stating that the Japanese government had decided to strengthen its intelligence network by, among other moves to employ "Nisei Japanese and Japanese resident nationals" using extreme caution in doing so.

The Tachibana case (March 1941) about which Peter Irons' wrote in his "Justice at War":

"...There was no question that Tachibana headed an espionage ring on the West Coast that enlisted a number of Japanese Americans, both aliens and citizens (sic), nor that the government knew the identities of its members..."

Military Intelligence Div. 336.8, Honolulu, 14 October 1941. "Japanese Ex-Service Men's Organization" which reports on two Japanese ex-military member groups active in the U.S. with 7200 members, stating in part: "...these two organizations have pledged to do sabotage (railroads and harbors)in the states mentioned (California, Washington, Oregon, and Utah) in time of emergency. Similar organizations are in Hawaii. Sixty-nine local units of these two organizations are said to be carrying on activities."

U.S.Army MID Information Bulletin No.6 of Jan.21, 1942,titled "Japanese Espionage," forwarded to Ass't SecWar John J. McCloy by Brig. General Mark J. Clark,then Deputy Chief of Staff, U.S.Army, which, among its conclusions states: "Their espionage net containing Japanese aliens, first and second generation Japanese and other nationals is now thoroughly organized and working underground."

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Okay, I know you have a point in there, right?

3. BobUlagsen

BobUlagsen Member

Okay, I know you have a point in there, right?

The facts speak for themselves. Readers can draw their own conclusions.

4. OpanaPointer

Null post, then. How interesting.

5. BobUlagsen

BobUlagsen Member

Null post, then. How interesting.

Readers can decide for themselves whose posts on this thread contain more historical substance.

6. OpanaPointer

Would you care to elaborate on the "more paper bags" line? Because it sure looks like you're countering something I never said. Would this be because you read something I didn't say and responded to that?

7. BobUlagsen

BobUlagsen Member

You said this:

"I wonder if it was that brown paper bag that "attacked" L.A. a few weeks later? :D"

To which I provided a little historical context.

8. OpanaPointer

Or something.

I was referring to the Battle of L.A.

9. BobUlagsen

BobUlagsen Member

I was referring to the Battle of L.A.

Actually you were belittling the Battle of L.A. and the Niihau Incident. That's why I mentioned the shelling of Goleta two days before and provided intelligence regarding what was happening on the West Coast and Hawaii.

10. OpanaPointer

I wasn't belittling the Niihau incident, I even posted the Hearings version of it. The Battle of LA was just plain stupid war nerves. Or, as some folks claim, a flying saucer. Either way it was just stupid. But if you want to keep the high dudgeon up, that's fine.

11. NAREEVES

NAREEVES Member

There were two other incidents involved in the Japanese spy ring in the islands before Pearl Harbor was attacked - A man on Maui continually reported when, what kind, and how many US ships were operating at Lahaina Roads. Also, there was reported to be a group out in Aiea (near Pearl) that operated a safe house for Japanese spies.

12. f6fhellcat

f6fhellcat Member

I live a few minutes away from Ford Island and the Pearl Harbor Historic Sites. I have seen some of the remains of the Zero at the Pacific Aviation Museum up close and personal (not to mention the tractor that helped transport Nishikaichi). Unfortunately, the plane had been picked apart. I know for a fact that there was an incident on the neighbor island of Ni'ihau. The evidence is five minutes away from my house.