Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The RAF Regiment: why so disliked by so many British soldiers/marines?

Discussion in 'Military History' started by Ripvulcan, Jan 26, 2009.

1. lwd

lwd Ace

I didn't want to repeat his garbage. If you click on the curved arrow in the upper right corner of the quote box it will take you back to the post (a trick I learned not too long ago and a useful one to keep in mind if you need to put things in context).

Drew5233 likes this.
  2. Drew5233

Drew5233 Member

3. Basicthesausagemachine

Basicthesausagemachine New Member

Hi,
    i think every military unit in the world thinks they are the best, I have found like others possibly that within each unit their ability to differs.
    I have worked with and commanded men from all three services, both as a senior NCO and from the Dark Side as an officer, the only question I have ever had to ask was who had the correct skills set to get the job done.
    The banter to me is what makes the armed services such a family most of the time you can have a joke but occassionally someone does snap because of outside pressures.
    Banter relievs the stress of the job, the sights you see, the lack of believed support and the commisioned Knob, it is probably the last bastile against PC.
    Having staff come and go I would say my best NCO was a para, not that this makes parras better just that he was exceptional, could be trusted, i am sure their are many other NCO's just agood in other regiments.
    On a visit to Lympstonne I was very impressed with the way things were done, as well as the base in general.
    Likewise the same could be said on a visit to Honnington as recruits were visiting the regiment museum. Whilst there I spoke with a member of the famous 2 Sqn(famous his words to recruits), I was in civilian attire he had no idea who I was but he engaged me in a conversation, one way I must add of how good his squadron was and the rest of the RAF should pay homage to them. Luckily I was saved by a Flight Sgt who introduced me and the Cpl quickly disappeared, the Flight Sgt had obviously served on 2 Sqn as he had the wings on his shoulder, he appologised explaining hes the type of knob that gets us all a bad name.
    If you are good at your job you should not have to boast about as I was always taught actions speak louder than words, one of the most humble men I have ever met was a very highly decorated retired SBS Marine, it weas only at his funeral i became truly how much a proffesional he was.
    So I would say it is the individual who we dont remember is usually the important one and his regiment is coincidental and final few words there was a time in the 80's that the Regiment most represented in the SAS was the RAF Regimment.
    I am sure people will comment on this either way but everyone has a task to do and its calling on the skills of the individual.
    As for Airbourne soldiers my relatives have served with these units from their developement through Arnhem upto the 70's, I was oersuaded to follow another career at a tri service careers office as I scored very high on the assessment even though I was dyslexic because no knew it was dyslexia then.
    God bless you all and all those brave men and women who have or do wear Her Majestys Uniform... we will always owe them and their families.

4. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Thanks for those words. And welcome, btw.

5. Drew5233

Drew5233 Member

And your source of this info is?

6. Rockape54

Rockape54 New Member

The Army is at fault for the formation of the RAF Regiment by not Defending the Airfields in Crete the Prime minister Winston Churchill decreed a formation of Air force personnel for the defence of Airfields so was born the RAF Regiment and there best history again was due to failings by the army in the Far east which like most of the history of the Rocks is mainly hushed up just look at the number of books on the paras marines or army units hell even the Royal navy ships have more history books then the Rocks but I think that when it come down to it the army are embarrassed because of Crete and the Far east just after the Battle of Britain the army pulled the AA units off the Airfields reason unknown but the air force had just some old ww I machine guns to defend till enough 40mm Bofors gun was available to kit the Rocks and as posted somewhere here thousands of Rocks was transferred to the army to make up numbers for D-Day and never went back. Their small history session over and thanks for letting me put my pennyworth in