Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Erich, Feb 6, 2014.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Never actually seen any of this year's yet. Never missed the last ones though.

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

230 km? so he he must have ended abroad :dance4: . Could be me , except it's 10C° .....

3. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I like to watch as much as possible although our medal figures have gone down the drain in 20 years...from some 10-12 to one or two in the whole Olympic games... :(

But especially I like to watch the hockey games, so many big stars there since the NHL let the players come to the Olympics. Or perhaps it was the Olympic committee that let the pros come to the games?

4. Owen

Owen O

USA v Russia in the ice Hockey in about 3 hours, anyone on here going to watch it?

5. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

What a hockey game... Ouch!

Still don't get the training behind the dislodged net rule...

6. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I wanted to watch it, Owen, but I'm at the 30th ID reunion and didn't have the time.

Who did you pull for, Slava?

7. Owen

Owen O

Stayed Neutral & just enjoyed the game and Overtime & the 'Game Winning shots'.
    Enjoyed the Slovenia v Slovkia game earlier too.

8. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I enjoyed the US v. Russia game. I admit I pulled for the US, but it was a cracking good game. It's obvious these two teams don't like each other. Watched some of the Czech game and the Latvia game. Interest all around.

9. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Kai-Petri, my wife is excited about the Finnish-American match. I too, had to be happy for Finland. As the Brits say "Good show!"
    Funny billboards have cropped up here, day the loser of US-Canada has to keep Justin Bieber, looks like we lost on two counts !!
    LOL

Hey, maybe we could trade him for your medal????

10. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Well another Olympics and NBC Sports continues to amaze, astound and make me scratch my head and ask WTF ? An hour and a half of 20 year old non News about two ice skating Divas that no one other than their own families care about? Cutting what I assume would be nearly an hour or more of the ceremony & ridiculous, inane chatter overwhelming the action on the stadium floor. Thankfully I was able to watch reruns of How It's Made and Mythbusters during the 6 to 7:30 slot. The basic coverage was not too bad other than the replaying of events scattered over four or five channels. Most of which, after huge advertisements of "Several channels to choose from, turned out to be; An Hour Here - An Hour There, you find the schedule. Cutting the Prime Time coverage to 2 hours (with enough commercials to cut another 40 or so minutes out) to lead into a new Sit-Com?
    Where were the pianos? Where were the Cops Choir? Where were the interviews that could have been shown of the Athletes?
    Here's hoping that in four years ABC or CBS or even Fox steps up and beats NBC, if only by a .001 of a dollar to get the broadcasting rights to the next Games.

11. Mehar

Mehar Ace

12. Ruud

Ruud Member

Netherlands 5th place. Not bad.

13. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

24th! Woohoo! As the dryest and second hottest continent on the planet...24th is still an awesome effort, and even then we missed about 4 medals we expected to get...I was told that Australia got its first gold medal in the Winter Olympics before China...(a few years ago now).
    Our Athletes have to train on rivers and down hill roads...its pretty pathetic in terms of facilities here for the W/O...so im proud of our 24th...ten bucks says we'll beat that by at least 4 places next time...Well done US for giving some great highlights.