Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The world's best assult rifle?

Discussion in 'The Guns Galore Section' started by Sgt. Barger, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Can you define powerful as you use it here?

2. Tom phpbb3

Tom phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    More powder pushing a bigger round?

3. sinissa

sinissa New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Powerfull,like AK-47 can get trought brick walls,and M-16 cant get trought bamboo.It is all in design of the round.5.56 NATO got more flatern trajectory,and more accuracy on long ranges,but that round was constructed on stability limits,and it is pone to rickoshet from any obsticals it hit (like branches,glass,etc) ,when AK-roud go straight trought.As u all see,there is no more warfares like WW II when 2 sides shoot from 600m ranges,and do the open assaults.Modern warfare is moustly urban warfare,low ranges.Russians use they 5.45 mm in AK 47 but soldiers prefer to use older 7.62x39.

On wars all ower the world,supeioriy in reliability was prooven many times.AK-47 dont need to be cleaned at all. In Bosnia,fighters use to just put oil in the barel of AK-47,and spine the rifle few times and it is it. Used that once in 2 weeks,remember that all 3 sides used the same weapons.

On some prolonged battles,in rain,mud,snow,etc l take AK anytime.
    Basicly any weapon is compromis of desired chars.And price,is really important thing in all of this (do we buy for 100k troos, M-16,r we gona buy AK-47 for all +50 000 LAW?)

4. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    YAWN! :roll:

5. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The only power that really matters is that which is transmitted to the human target. Anything else is wasted. The 5.56 round does as good a job, if not better than the AK in that respect due to what happens to the projectile after it strikes a man.

Ps..you are right to yawn JCalhoun..some debates get tiresome and repetitive and nobody changes anyone's opinion anyway so I think I will sit this one out.

6. Sgt. Barger

Sgt. Barger New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I didn't intend for this to turn into another AK/M-16 debate. this was just to see what people thought was a good assult rifle. Now lets get back on the subject, please.

and the once the 5.56 round it hits someones body, it will rattle around in your body, until it hits a weak spot and exits, or finally runs out of kinetic energy.

7. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    assault rifles

Sgt.Barger. A few post ago I asked you to explain one of your posts that I did not understand. Would you please explain to me..
    quote. "Based on their opinion from all of them except being cool"?????[/quote]

8. Sgt. Barger

Sgt. Barger New Member

via TanksinWW2
    someone asked what to base our opinions off of, so i answered. it doesn't appear I was that understandable, I don't even think i was that understandable.

9. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    i think if i was a footslogging mud covered , sleep deprived dogface , i would choose reliability over accuracy and opt for the ak over the m16 ..also terrain is a big factor ..in local country like here its broken ,hilly woodland and scrub ...an ak or any modern military issue rifle would suffice but ....if i were a few hundred miles east of here in nevada , where you can stand on a boulder and see 10 miles , i would prefer any scoped bolt action deer rifle to any expensive full auto assault rifle ...a ,243 ,270 or 7mm with even a cheapo 4 x10 power scope would be a big advantage over any full auto ak, fn , m16 or any short cartridge carbine with iron sights..plus , a hundred rounds would last me forever...

10. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Deer rifle over assault rifle? Never heard that one before.

11. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    ...well in a dense jungle or room to room urban fighting a submachine gun or shotgun is better because you often bump into your enemy close up so the guy who can point and spray faster is likely to win , hence all swat /police /security forces like submgs ...in most regular combat of broken or wooded terrain a assault rifle is better 150 to 200 yards or so ak or mi6 is fine sub mg is not adequate , mauser bolt action is too slow ..once you go too really open spaces ...desert or prairie where you can spot a man walking miles away ,then a real full size cartridge old time rifle with a scope is better than a ak47 or the like,and a smg is worthless.. you can hit them and they cant hit you , longer range ,longer barrel ,bigger shell ,better optics ,same as with tanks or battleships ...like most things in life all designs are comprimises

12. dave phpbb3

dave phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2

Reminds me of the world record for number of rounds fired from a Short Magazine Lee-Enfield, something like 37 rounds fired in a minute.
    The competion is still held annually but no one has broken this record since it was made just after the First World War.
    Mind you he was using a bolt action rifle and reloading from 5 round charger clips. That is some going to get that many rounds out.

13. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yep, thet is some serious bolt slapping! :D

14. dave phpbb3

dave phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2

I know, I struggle to put out more than 17-20 aimed rounds minute from a .303 let alone 37. That's about 1 every second due to reloading time ect..

15. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    there were some expert nco,s in all armie of ww1 who could pump out very accurate and fast fire from bolt action arms ..the 1914 BEF (the old contemptebles ) especially was well trained at this skill , haveing learned a hard lesson from the boers 15 years before the great war ..its a skill that can not be learned in a few weeks but something more akin to king henrys yeomen archers at agincourt...

16. dave phpbb3

dave phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    To get a good rate of fire from a SMLE it does not take years of training, it was designer to be an easy rifle to use which it is.
    within The short time I've owned a No.4 Enfield I can put out 17-20 rounds a minute. But It is also true that I've done "dry-fire" training with a de-activated SMLE. (I've always had a problem with trigger pull and often jerked the gun when I squeezed off the trigger. so I was taught to practice that using a De=activated rifle at home) and during this training I also learnt how to use the bolt quickly.

17. Mothman

Mothman New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Best assaultrifle.

Im proud to say, from the time served in the swedish army i fell in love with the AK-4. Well, i later realize its no the specific AK-4 model i fell in love with, its the so called ak family :)

18. Notmi

Notmi New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Does Swedish military still use Ak-4's? I thought only home guard use those battlerifles?

19. Mothman

Mothman New Member

via TanksinWW2

They still do as far as i know, but with all the chit chat in the government in our country and shutting down 90% of our military forces we will all soon run around with chopsticks and try to defend our "neutral country" =) :bang:

20. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    ...one reason sweden was always able to stay neutral and unmolested is that the place always fairly bristled with armements ..i guess the current government hopes to maintain this status by simple good will ..
    ..dave ,your 17 -20 rounds a minute from a bolt action enfeild was hitting a 12 inch? target at what range ...