Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

To all Englishmen with salt water in their veins !

Discussion in 'The War at Sea' started by bosworth gannaway, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    No, the freighter was boarded just inside Iraqi waters (According to the RN) or just inside Iranian waters (According to Iranians), there was no need to "sneak up" on anyone since as far as both sides are concerned (Outwardly at least) they were going about their lawful business. As I understand it, it was only once the Iranians got to within loudhailer sort of range that their intent became clear, by which point it was pretty much too late for the sailors and Marines.

As I have already said, AFAIK the incident was subject to an enquiry which concluded that there were (undisclosed) lessons to be learnt, but no blame was attached to anyone regarding the events. If the Admiralty had concluded differently someone would have been blamed or courtmartialed over this.

2. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    is there any way to know the actual gps position of the incident ...i belive the civillian garmin $200 units are claimed to be accurate within 30 feet or so ..were the lt under my command i would have hoped he would order his craft made fast and ordered his people up the ladder without undo haste or panic .. then commandeer the wheel house and steer for nearest freindlys while sending out a open channel mayday ..had the iranian skipper been so foolish as to fire on or even in front of the fleeing tanker ( which i greatly doubt ) that would be a new kettle of fish ..could people be hurt or killed ? of course , but then it is was THE ROYAL EFING NAVY in action and not the sea scouts or the ladies auxillery coast gaurd and sometimes it is military mans moral duty to risk all and take his force harms way , for god ,king and country , is it not ?......surrendering to a loudspeaker is not the RN way ,the US navy way or any self respecting navys way , whatever the consequences might be ...honour,face and the worlds respect still matter even today ...especially today in our anglo /american military forces..........btw ..is lt carrans now guarding a small bridge in the orkneys , i hope? and again ,i retract and apoligise for all previous slights of seaman tourney ( who doubtless posseses a larger pair of huevos than her hapless superiour ) ...

3. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    ...im afraid i jumped on the bandwagon with (the discredited ) bos here and i was too harsh on a young RN lt who had to make a split second decision which i still feel was a poor one ...nonetheless , my post was insulting and overzealous and i wish to apoligise to my british freinds for its tone and content...

4. Anthax

Anthax New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Re: Whoever made those boats

As a swedish citizen and have read a little about the CB-90 or Stridsbåt 90 in swedish, It's powered by a huge waterjet, I think top speed is aroud 40 knots and it can go from ful speed to complete stop in 4 ship lengths. At least thats what my teacher said.. :p
    It's a darn nice boat, perfect for a fishing trip ^^

5. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a response here, Bosworth's been very quiet recently...

6. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    its too bad ..i miss bos in spite of his credibility impairment ..he sparked many lively debates ,perhaps he will reincarnate as something that is not so difficult to defend as a british armour officer cheiftan viet nam vet ..screenwritter dude .. i think this is not a good forum to try to bullshit people about military experience ..try the corner pub ...

7. CometFan

CometFan Member

via TanksinWW2

So that's why it has been chosen for the RDN Absalon class (it carries 2 of them)
    [​IMG]

8. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2

It does look like just the thing for a charter service. Perhaps for a three hour tour? ;)

9. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    the proffesor and maryann....

10. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2
    It would be ironic if it were named MINNOW...

11. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    i often wondered what unknown island the could have fetched up on only three hours out of the ali kai boat basin in honolulu ....