Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

true stories that were exaggerated by hollywood

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Canadian_Super_Patriot, May 3, 2005.

1. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Saints and Soldiers is no good when it comes to realism. A premium example of a Hollywood screwup. A soldier of the 101st AB is allegedly in a POW group in the Northern shoulder of the Bulge on December 18th, while the division was sent in on the Southern shoulder no earlier than December 19th. :roll:

2. dave phpbb3

dave phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2

gd film i dint say for realism tho

3. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Excellent historical pedantry.
    Well done! :D

4. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Thanks, but it was just one example. :D

Others include the fact that the trip the characters decide to make would force them to cross several big, cold and in winter also quite deep rivers; I saw none of them in the film...

5. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Just thought I'd mention a fact from the longest day ..... They failed to mention anything about the canadians. Oh , one more thing not related to my previous sentence , in the movie Alexander they blaintly potray Alexander as a homosexual , when their is no solid evidence to prove this.

6. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well, now, on the one hand there is the fact that homosexuality was accepted and even the norm in Greek and Macedonian society of the day; on the other there is the fact that the movie showed some tendencies of him liking men, but downright homosexuality... I wouldn't go that far.

http://www.fun-online.sk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1663

7. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Britain has a long-established habit of failing to acknowledge those who helped. :cry:
    We are getting better, though.

8. Castelot

Castelot New Member

via TanksinWW2
    [
    Thank you Canada for helping defend France in WW1 and for helping liberate it in WW2.

It should not be forgotten.

9. fsbof

fsbof Member

via TanksinWW2
    Actually, "True Stories that were faithfully told by Hollywood" would yield a much more manageable (maybe even empty) list of titles! Although a real oldie (1946, I believe), I've always thought "A Walk in the Sun" was a fairly realistic combat movie in its portrayal of the ground war from the soldier's point of view - no knowledge of strategy, periods of inactivity waiting for something to happen, no romance or other distractions "on leave", and virtually no visual evidence of a live enemy soldier. As for "Apocalypse Now," it's an entertaining movie to watch (as someone noted already), but hardly representative of the Vietnam experience. Better stories of the Vietanm war, IMO, are "Platoon" and "Hamburger Hill."

10. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    When Trumpets Fade, again, mostly corresponds to this description as well.

11. fsbof

fsbof Member

via TanksinWW2
    True - I just saw it last year, and I'll have to watch it again. Only film I can think of that takes place in the Huertgen Forest, worth it for that aspect alone. Like "Band of Brothers," too bad it wasn't a theatrical movie.

12. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
    yeah , Britain also had a history of wasting the lives of men from the british 'colonies" examples: australians at gallipoli , newfoundlanders at beaumont Hamel , Canadians at ypres , new zealanders at gallipoli , and on and on , and concerning the australians they pretty much used them as cannon fodder. there was canadians at dieppe , i should stop ranting , i just hought i'd mention a world war 2 example.

13. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hell, we used everybody as cannon fodder. Why do think we had the colonies, it was our right as an empire :lol: .
    Seriously, on a trip to France a few years back we stopped at one the WWI monuments. Forget where, and all of them had plaques, with the number of dead, and number of yards gained for those deaths. IIRC one of them was 15000(?) or so Canadians(?) for about 500 yards.
    And then they had bloody cheek or gall or stupidity to write a eulogy at the bottom to courage, devotion to duty and honour. I felt sick.
    Dulce et decorum est..... like f**k
    Oli