Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Trump makes good on cost-cutting promises.

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by KodiakBeer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. lwd

lwd Ace

Really? OK how many individuals died due to torture at Gitmo? How long were they tortured? How were they tortured? If you actually look at the numbers there's no comparison. Even if you look at the percentages I doubt you will find that the two are close. Then there's the fact that the "enhanced interrogation techniques" applied at Gitmo tended to be ones that didn't produce permanent damage much less death and the purpose was to get intel. At Buchenwald there was no real purpose to the torture or if there was it was to study the effects. Then there's a huge difference in that many of those at Buchenwald were innocent, not something that applies to Gitmo.

Again how many died due to torture and how many were "living dead" (whatever that means) due to torture? How do you know there was "nothing of proven value"?

You are making some pretty substantial claims and providing little or nothing in the way of evidence.

How many died? What were there crimes?
    And again how do you know "nothing of proven value"? I rather suspect that some worthwhile intel came out of these sessions reporting what would tend to negate it's value would it not?

2. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

We could debate your unsubstantiated claims against mine for 50 more pages. Torture=Bad. That is all.

RLTW!!!!

3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'm not going anywhere.

4. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

Yep, that's what I said. Good that we agree on one thing.

"As I was getting ready to get off of the the landing craft on D Day +6, there were two Rangers leading a group of German prisoners to board the craft that I was getting off of. One of the prisoners was making quite a stink as he did not want to get on the boat. One of the Rangers saw to it that the prisoner got his wish. He stepped up to the prisoner, pulled a revolver and shot him in the head."

5. OpanaPointer

You're not very good at being snarky.

6. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

FIFY "We're not going anywhere in this discussion" I'm just a raw recruit here. Maybe I misread the vibe. With all out war imminent if you can read the signs, I'm afraid this debate is going to get much louder.

7. OpanaPointer

I doubt this crisis will amount to as much as the 24/7 news cycle would like.

8. Takao

Takao Ace

IDK, while the Vinson meanders it's way to Korea, the SSGN USS Michigan has already docked at Busan. That's a lot of cruise missiles.

9. OpanaPointer

Okay, if we're all dead in a month I'll buy you all beers. If we're still alive, you all buy me beers.

10. lwd

lwd Ace

What unsubstantieated claims have I made? Let me know and I'll try to source them. You've made quite a few however and many of them are very questionable.
    I agree torture is bad so is killing that doesn't mean that sometimes there aren't worse options.
    The concentration camp comparison has other problems however, for instance it's so over the top and extreme it tends to invalidate your whole position in the eyes of some. I.e. it renders your post rather counter productive.

11. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

The claim of torture providing useful information is unsubstantiated.

The only difference between Gitmo and Buchenwald is in the numbers of tortured. Have you read the accounts of Gitmo and the followup stories of the prisoners after release?

And wait!! there is more!!

10 Secret CIA Prisons You Do Not Want To Visit - Listverse

12. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

So be it. I never expected to change anyone's position. That's the way if works when debating the unknown.

13. OpanaPointer

If you want to wait until 2021 there may be information for you. Or you might have to wait until 2046. Never any promises in that kind of thing.

14. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

I guess trust and verify is not an option with the military.

15. OpanaPointer

Okay, I have to ask, are you absolutely positively completely certain torture will never ever no way can't happen provide useful and accurate information?

16. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Make mine a Root Beer, IBC preferably.

17. mconrad

mconrad New Member

That's like saying that since there is 0.00001% chance of a mass murderer coming to my house to kill me, I should shoot everyone who knocks on my door.

18. OpanaPointer

How so?

19. OpanaPointer

I've Been Chewed root beer? Could be hard to find.

20. lwd

lwd Ace

When talking about Gitmo I didn't claim that useful information was obtained I merely pointed out that your repeated claim that none had been was questionable. If you are talking about torture in general then it's pretty clear from the historical accounts that it has indeed produced useful information. That doesn't mean it's a good idea of course as other forms of interrogation have proven to be significantly more useful in terms of speed, quality, and quantity of information produced.

Sorry but that's complete BS. Look at the survival rate, look at what was actually done, look at why it was done, look at who it was done to. Not just the numbers are different but that alone would be enough to make your comparison questionable. As for follow ups are you talking about the high percentage killed in terrorist operations after their release?
    Some of the other overseas "facilities" are from what I've read worse than Gitmo by a fair margin but that's not what we were talking about was it?
    But we aren't really debating the unknown are we. You propsed a rather extreme comparison. Several of us have produced facts and logic that pretty clearly demonstrate that your original comparison is highly questionable. You are free to believe in what ever religion you choose to believe in but if it's counter factual don't expect not to see such beliefs questioned when publicly supported nor should you be surprised if you are on your own.