Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Unrealistic, Although fun

Discussion in 'Call of Duty' started by delta36, Jul 4, 2009.

1. delta36

delta36 Member

I just want to note that COD is very unrealistic in many ways. I'm not saying it's not a fun game. Here are some unrealistic features I came up with:

• Regenerative Health
      • Don't have to take cover
      • Trench Gun (???)
      • Can throw mines like grenades
      • Attack dogs
    Most of these features make the game fun though, and without them, nobody would buy COD!

SMLE shooter likes this.
  2. SMLE shooter

SMLE shooter Member

There is a level in COD3, that all the germans have Geweher 43's and MP 40's.....and no one has K98K's.

3. delta36

delta36 Member

Things like this make COD unrealistic (Although it's still fun)

4. SMLE shooter

SMLE shooter Member

Yes, it's still fun.

5. delta36

delta36 Member

If it wasn't fun, everyone would be critisizing the unrealisticness of it.

SMLE shooter likes this.
  6. bloodhank

bloodhank Member

Not to mention using a knife is far more effective than shooting someone.
    Practically all my kills are with a knife on Call of Duty WAW.

7. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

There were some German infantry units (volksgrenadier assault platoons) and parachute infantry that managed to get armed with that mix.

I've only played the first COD, but the biggest annoyance to me is the lack of section/squad level LMG/MMGs and small unit cohesion. The Germans should have a lot of MG42s on bipods, one or two every eight to ten men and their fighting should revolve around this weapon. Another part that bothers me is that the Germans never fall back, use smoke, and regroup.

German tanks are almost useless in the game when in reality they were a terror and generally inflicted very high infantry losses when encountered. They were also generally used in 4s or 5s. At the very least in pairs. There is often no "infantry screen" around them, either. Another bit that is off is the fact that German tanks generally kept their distance from allied positions and would not directly charge them.

There are a several lack of massed armored personnel carriers/armored cars on both sides when in fact they played a major role. In armored attacks, German APCs almost always made an appearance as the SPW battalion was generally integrated with the Panzer regiment.

Germans don't throw enough grenades to cover their advances.

There are also no rifle grenade attachments or platoon/company level 60mm/80mm mortars on the allied side. No battalion level medium mortars either for the Germans. These were standard equipment available in the war and heavily used.

A small unit, platoon level German or Allied attack could expect 50 rounds or more per mortar.

SMLE shooter likes this.
  8. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

These should be these types of attacks experienced by defending platoon of allied infantry in a town and built up area:

1. Forced armored recon attack- A platoon or company of Recon APCs and armored cars with heavy machineguns, mortars, and cannons ( expecting no heavy Allied weapons) sneak attack a small unit of Allied infantry with the intention of destroying/decimating them for the eventual application of tanks and full APCs.

2. company level Motorized Infantry, APC, and armor attack supported by medium/heavy artillery and mortars. Expect as many German APCs as tanks and there should be a large sized infantry contingent (ie. a company or even two of motorized infantry and a platoon of APCs for a platoon (4-5) of tanks)

3. Raid- A small unit (half platoon) of heavy armed enemy infantry launch a sneak attack with submachineguns, grenade launchers, machineguns, and one or two mortars. This is often done at night.

4. Frontal attack- Company (3 assault platoons) of German infantry advance forward (armed with smgs, rifles, rifle grenade launchers, panzerfaust, MGs on bipod), supported by their heavy platoon. ( several medium mortars and tripod mounted Heavy machine guns firing at all targets) Medium/Heavy artillery support if possible.

9. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

When encountering a section of regular German infantry, the enemy unit would be split into 2 groups: MG group ( leader with MP40, 2-3 man MG42 team) and assault group (leader with MP40, 4 riflemen with K98, one rifleman with grenade launcher with 2 dozen rounds). Sometimes, there will be a designated rifleman with a small magnification scope in this group.

When encountering a section of Parachute or Panzergrenadier infantry, the enemy unit would be split into 2 groups:

team 1 ( leader with MP40, 2 man MG42 team, 2 riflemen)
    team 2 ( leader with MP40, 2 man MG42 team, 2 riflemen)

There will be one rifle grenade launcher, maybe one scoped rifle, and maybe one more MP40 in place of a rifle.

My thread on APC assault infantry:

http://www.ww2f.com/wwii-general/32240-armored-personnel-carrier-assault-tactics.html

10. bloodhank

bloodhank Member

I found it most amusing that you could completely wreck a dozen Panzer III's while being hit by 88's and Panzershrecks in the North African campaign of CoD2.
    I never realised the Crusader was such an impervious vehicle! :p

11. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Its a game, and the original was made years ago. There are limits on how the AI works and how realistic they can make the game. COD goes for the entertainment value, which I think it does rather well.

If you want a game where its realistic, then go play Red Orchestra. Nothing like being in a Sherman going up against German Tanks that you can't kill from the front (while they can kill you with one shot).

No game that I am aware of is 100% realistic as far as squad cohesion etc. Its beyond game-makers abilities at this point, as scripting a realistic AI that can adapt to a situation is extremely difficult.

12. delta36

delta36 Member

Yeah, I can see that the COD AI lacks advanced tactics and squad formation

13. delta36

delta36 Member

*chuckles* The riddiculessness is so funny

14. bloodhank

bloodhank Member

I agree, Red Orchestra is pretty good.

15. delta36

delta36 Member

I heard good things about it

16. Mussolini

Yes, Red Orchestra and the free Darkest Hour mod is - simply - AMAZING!

17. Joe

Joe Ace

As far as realism goes, COD is fact compared to MOH...one man completely destroying the whole German army...soldiers who take two Panzershreck rockets and survive whilst wielding an MG42 from the hip and firing with superb accuracy whilst wearing a gas mask...the list is endless...

18. delta36

delta36 Member

The makers of COD sure weren't looking to make a realistic game when they made it...

19. Mussolini

Nope, but COD is vastly superior to the MOH series in most, if not all, aspects.

Red Orchestra is clearly the most realistic WW2 game though.

20. fast1

fast1 Member

unrealistic, yes, but it is also this unrealism that also makes it slightly more enjoyable imo.[​IMG]