Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Upcoming WW2 films list

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by PizzaDevil, Apr 13, 2009.

1. André7

André7 Active Member

What makes an effective teaser? I loved the first one. It had great drama with the sound of the diving Stuka and the soldiers cringing.

In a full trailer though, I like to get a real sense of the mood of the piece - is it going to be full of action? Does it have an epic feel to the battle scenes? ("Battle Of Sevatopol") Will it have a retro-comic book tone? ("Wake Island" with the tag line "Wake Island, the Alamo of world war two" "All they had were guts and each other!") Will it have a patriotic feel ("Saving Private Ryan") Are they selling me on the size and quality of the cast and its star power? (à la "A Bridge Too Far") Is there some kind of suspence or twist to the story? ("Allied") Will it try to be a historically accurate retelling of a specific event? ("Anthropoid") Are they going to show me both points of view? ("The Longest Day") Are they ruining the plot by telling me too much?

If you think back to the movie "Atonement" it was a romantic drama. Dunkirk is just one short show stopping sequence in the movie (though all important to the resolution of the central character conflict).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkVQwwPrr4c

There is a lot of information crammed into a couple of minutes. The trailer gives a very accurate idea of the movie. You know exactly what you are going to see.

Compared to that, I'm not sure if Nolan is aiming to make a visual tone poem, or an epic. Whose point of view are we going to get? "Hope is a weapon" What does that mean? "Survival is victory" Okay I can get behind that given what I know about the event.

When I saw the preview for "Interstellar" I knew I was going to see it in theaters. Opening week-end. I knew who the main character was, that Mathew McConauhey was the star. It was his story and it was going to be BIG! It was going to have BIG scope and ideas!

2. André7

André7 Active Member

Updates for a few films this year and 2018

[SIZE=11pt]Released in [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]China[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] in December 2016[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=11pt]"The Bombing" directed by Xiao Feng. Set in [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]China[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt], 1940., five different Chinese people fight their way through Japanese Air Force attacks to protect an important military machine in [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Chongqing[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]. 65,000,000 dollar production.[/SIZE]

Jackie Chan's "Railroad Tigers" also released in december 2016 in China.

"Land Of Mine" Danish film nominated for an Oscar for best foreign language film this sunday, feb 26. Due for a limited release here in Canada later in March.

[SIZE=11pt]March 24[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=11pt]"Another Mother's Son" a british World War II drama about Louisa Goul (Jenny Seagrove), who hides an escaped young Russian war prisoner (Julian Kostov), and protects him during the World War II. Directed by Christopher Menaul and written by Jenny Lecoat. Based on the true story[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]March 31[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=11pt]"The ZooKeeper's Wife" starring Jessica Chastain. [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Poland[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]. 1939- the title character hides Jews from the Germans in her Zoo in [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Warsaw[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt].[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]June 15[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=11pt]“Churchill”[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=11pt]The director of The Railway Man’s Jonathan Teplitzki’s movie about Winston Churchill. Brian Cox as Churchill and [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Stanley[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] Tucci as Dwight Eisenhower. It is about the final 24 hours counting down to D-Day. Not to be confused with the Gary Oldman-Joe Wright production “Darkest Hour” set for release on December 29.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]July 21[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=11pt]“[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Dunkirk[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]” directed by Christopher Nolan. Much anticipated drama about the evacuation of the British Expeditionary Force from [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]France[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] in 1940.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Completed but no release date[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=11pt]"Erasure" now retitled “Grace and Danger” directed by Rhys Hayward. Set in [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]France[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] in 1944. American soldiers caught behind enemy lines try to save save a young woman from the Germans and fight their way out.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Some time in 2017[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=11pt]“HHhH” [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=11pt]Two young recruits in their late twenties, Jozef Gabcik and Jan Kubis, are sent to [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Prague[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] to assassinate Reich-protector Reinhard Heydrich, Head of the SS, the Gestapo, and the architect of the "Final Solution". French production directed by Cédric Jimenez, staring Rosamund Pike, Jack O'Connell, Mia Wasikowska. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Released pushed back to 2018[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=11pt]“[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Pegasus[/SIZE] [SIZE=11pt]Bridge[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]”[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=11pt]Operation Deadstick, capture and hold [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Pegasus[/SIZE] [SIZE=11pt]Bridge[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt], was part of the D-day landings in Normandie, Operation Overlord. An all British Production, independently financed.Most of the screen time is dedicated to the events on June 6th at the bridge and the fighting in Benouville and Le Port. [/SIZE]

Otto likes this.
  3. stgrhe

stgrhe Active Member

I think the English title for the French film 'HHhH' has been renamed 'The Man with the Iron Heart'. I don't remember where I read it.

4. stgrhe

stgrhe Active Member

Other resently released WWII films are

1. All That Remains
    2. Flags Over Berlin
    3. Rangoon
    4. Strike at Dawn
    5. The Interrogation
    6. The Panilov's 28 (Dvadtsat vosem panfilovtsev)
    7. Three Returned (Tre kom tilbake)

and upcoming ones 2017

1. Fallen Eagle
    2. Our Shining Sword
    3. The 34th Battalion (WWI)

Sloniksp, gtblackwell and Otto like this.
  5. stgrhe

stgrhe Active Member

A new mini-series will be aired on National Geographic, commencing 25th of April, called 'Genius'. This mini-series is about the life of Albert Einstein and will thus be somewhat related to the second world war.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/genius/

6. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

7. André7

André7 Active Member

Just read the article. While it doesn't add any new information, it's nice to know the project is going ahead. I don't know how they'll make the 2019 release unless they've already begun casting and hiring the crew in secret. There should be an anouncement soon. Factor in several months shooting and at least six months post production special effects plus a good six months preproduction, building, etc. They had better have the scripts finished soon.

8. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Given it's background I do think it shows great promise. I agree it may be a while and I too was glad to see some evidence of it's progress.. Memphis Bell , a not so good movie to me had excellent equipment, if I remember correctly 5 or 6 B-17's, one being totally lost in a crash but I wonder if the new movie with be more digital . Some amazing advances have been made in digital technology but much is not applied well. , the last "Pearl Harbor" for example. I wish they would look at original WW2 combat film and study the paths, maneuvers and turning radiuses of fighters but as often pointed out here, they do not make movies for us. We can dream.

stgrhe, good to see you here and am impressed with your movie knowledge !

Gaines

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2017
    stgrhe likes this.
  9. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see where they take it. Let's face it, a 10 show series has much more potential then a 2 hour film. BOB and the Pacific were very different in theme and I am excited to see where Spielberg and Hanks will go with this one. Generally they get decent advice. I hope they end the trilogy strong. I am confident it will be done well.

10. stgrhe

stgrhe Active Member

Well, I am a collector of WWI and WWII films and have over 2,000 in my collection, which in itself gives me a fair knowledge but there are so much more to learn. For instance, I just finished reading Gordon Welchman's book 'The Hut 6 Story' about the Bletchley Park activities. All of a suddern most films about Ultra and Enigma (exept the Polish film) give a complete wrong picture about the Ultra.

For those who don't know, Gordon Welchman had a much larger impact on Ultra than e.g. Alan Turing. That said, Turing, clever as he was, was just one of quite a few brilliant people that contributed to the success of Ultra.

11. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

The budget for the Mighty Eight is simply astounding!

André7 likes this.
  12. stgrhe

stgrhe Active Member

Trailer for the upcoming film about Heydrich's life "The Man with the Iron Heart", previously called HHhH.

Otto likes this.
  13. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Further to Gaines's idea...using the same camera angles as was used in the original filming ie: on board a ship or taken as an observer from land etc etc...also, what about a "Blair witch" approach and film a war movie as though you/the viewer was actually there...you sit when they sit, run when they run and the characters occasionally talking to camera...would this not give the viewer a better "feel" of being there? Especially in a battle scene...this was used a little in SPR and worked beautifully...

14. belasar

belasar Court Jester

The Heydrich film looks decent, but do we need another retelling of his assassination when there are so many rich stories left largely untold? As for the Budget of Mighty Eighth, that averages out to 50 million an episode compared to nearly 10 million per episode of Big Bang Theory (20 plus thirty minute episodes per year) and of course Mighty would be cinematic quality. Considering the length of episode, twice that of Big Bang, a relative difference of 5-7 million per episode is within spitting difference by Hollywood standards. My guess HBO is under righting the total, or near total cost so there is little risk for Spielberg/Hanks and a largely licence to print money.

I do agree, based on their previous record (BoB, Pacific and Earth to the Moon) that they will deliver a first class production.

15. André7

André7 Active Member

Often overlooked is the beautiful "John Adams" miniseries Hanks was also involved with. I am constantly frustrated at how long it is taking to get updates on the pre-production of "Mighty Eighth" , but Hanks' production company is heavily involved in the upcoming "Lewis and Clark" miniseries. Can't wait to see that as well.

16. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Hanks is a superb producer of content as well as being arguably this generations finest actor. He made a little film years ago called 'That thing you do' based on 1950's-60's rock and roll, that despite not really being my cup of tea, I found charming and quite watchable.

KJ Jr likes this.
  17. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

I second that. I was laid up a couple years back for a few days and I binged it. Excellent series.

18. stgrhe

stgrhe Active Member

Don't know about US, but here in Thailand the National Geographic scripted series 'Genuis' about Albert Einstein's life will premier tomorrow 23rd of April.

19. Takao

Takao Ace

April 25th here in the US

20. Takao

Takao Ace

As of March 1, 2017, they are scouting filming locations. Gonna be awhile before it hits the small screen.