Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Upcoming WW2 films list

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by PizzaDevil, Apr 13, 2009.

1. André7

André7 Active Member

Had not heard of Pegasus Bridge... Awesome cast! Jason Flemyng and Danny Webb have been on my radar for a long time. Great actors. The director doesn't have a long track record, but the films he has been involved in as a writer or producer are very well rated. Looking forward to it. Hope it gets a good release.

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The still in the Indianapolis trailer annoyed me without watching the video. The core was in a metal box welded to the fantail.

3. stgrhe

stgrhe Active Member

I follow the development of the Pegasus Bridge film on Facebook and this is a new photo that was just posted there.

[​IMG]

"Pegasus Bridge being raised, on a cold June day in Normandy today. D-day approaches!"

4. FalkeEins

FalkeEins Member

production has started ..been watching the filming with a work colleague whose son is in the film..

http://movieweb.com/dunkirk-movie-set-photos-christopher-nolan/

".....Harry Styles is ready for combat. The One Direction member was spotted donning British World War II military dress - and his new short haircut! - while on the set of his new movie, Dunkirk. The upcoming film from writer and director Christopher Nolan tells the true story of the evacuation of the French city during World War II's Battle of France in 1940..... ..."

http://www.people.com/article/harry-styles-dunkirk-short-hair?xid=rss-fullcontent

5. stgrhe

stgrhe Active Member

From the link FalkeEins posted one can read: "Dunkirk opens as hundreds of thousands of British and Allied troops are surrounded by enemy forces. Trapped on the beach with their backs to the sea they face an impossible situation as the enemy closes in."

I sincerely hope the upcoming film doesn't focus too much on the beaches, as more than double of the number of soldiers rescued from the beaches were rescued from the mole at Dunkirk. I want to see more of the struggles in the channel and from the mole.

Some Brief Facts
    • Operation Dynamo was put into effect at 7pm on the 26th of May 1940
    • A total of 848 vessels of all kinds were under command of Vice-Admiral Bertam Remsay
    • 226 boats of all kinds were sunk, including the first ship to arrive at the harbour, Mona’s Queen of Isle of Man
      6 of 38 destroyers were sunk and 26 damaged
    • 9 of 46 personal carriers were sunk and 11 damaged
    • Overall, nearly one in five vessels were sunk and nearly half were damaged

[*]The last ship evacuating soldiers was the destroyer HMS Shikari
    [*]338,226 soldier were rescued by 4th of June, including around 225,000 British and 120,000 French
    [*]239,000 soldiers were evacuated from the mole at Dunkirk whereas 98,780 were evacuated from the beaches
    [*]68,111 British servicemen were killed of which around 7,000 belonged to the Royal Navy

FalkeEins likes this.
  6. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

No that is the accepted number of total casualties, not killed.

The BEF lost 4,206 killed and 46,938 missing, of whom about 40,000 were prisoners of war.

7. Phantom of the Ruhr

Phantom of the Ruhr Member

I thought it was welded to the deck of an empty cabin up in officer's country.

8. JagerBomb

JagerBomb New Member

Anthropoid (2016) [UK, Czech Republic, and France Production]
    Based on the true story, the film tells the story of the brave Czech soldiers Jozef Gabčík and Jan Kubiš, who were trained by the British and airlifted into Prague in May of 1942 to assassinate ruthless SS leader Reinhard Heydrich, a.k.a. “The Hangman.” The story has been told on film several times before:
    • In the four Czechoslovakian films “Muzi bez krídel” from 1946, “Atentát” from 1964, “The Key” (Klíc) from 1971, the “Lidice” from 2011, the Czechoslovakian-Soviet co-production “Sokolovo” from 1975, and “Operation Daybreak” from 1975, which is a co-production between USA, Czechoslovakia, and Yugoslavia, and that is perhaps the most known film about the event.
    • In the three American films “Hitler's Madman” from 1943 and “Hangmen Also Die!”, also from 1943, and “Hitler's S.S.: Portrait in Evil” from 1985.
    • In the Czech Republic’s TV Series from 2013-2014 “Ceské století”, and the upcoming French film “HHhH” (see further down).
    Release Date: 12th of August 2016 (USA).

A little birdie told me this was going to be a really good one...if any of you know about Cillian Murphy (The Wind that Shakes the Barley, Peaky Blinders) he is an excellent actor and typically does not associate himself with garbage.

Otto likes this.
  9. JagerBomb

JagerBomb New Member

I heard Tom Hardy is in this one...Next to Cillian Murphy, one of my favorite actors..Cannot wait for this one!

10. stgrhe

stgrhe Active Member

The pre-World War II biography "Race", about Jesse Owen's life, has been released.

11. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

I'm looking forward to Anthropoid.

12. stgrhe

stgrhe Active Member

13. André7

André7 Active Member

"Anthropoid" is out. Has anyone seen it? What did you think of it?

14. stgrhe

stgrhe Active Member

15. stgrhe

stgrhe Active Member

New WWII film project starring Tom Hanks as a tin can commander.

Tom Hanks has had an impressive acting career spanning forty years. One of his most memorable roles was in Saving Private Ryan. He played a company commander who had to survive the carnage of the D-Day landing at Omaha Beach and then had to lead his men on a mission to save paratrooper and bring him home. Now, it appears that Hanks may be getting another World War 2 role.
    Hanks wrote the screenplay for the new WWII movie “Greyhound,” Aaron Schneider (Get Low) has been brought on to direct. Apparently, Hanks wants the starring role for himself.
    Unquote

http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/tom-hanks-star-destroyer-captain-new-wwii-movie.html

16. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

No one yet, eh. Waiting for it to come out.

17. André7

André7 Active Member

Aually saw a couple of terrible reviews on the net. (Not saying the movie is bad, mind you, just badly done reviews) so I thought the movie had been released.

18. André7

André7 Active Member

movie "Denial" about true event. British Holocaust denier bring American scolar to court for defamation. She has to prove the Holocaust actually happened.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/denial-2016

release September 30 2016

19. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

They're making a movie about the Irving case?

20. Takao

Takao Ace

At the moment, it is only in very limited release.