Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

US 85th Infantry Division History and Action Reports from WWII

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Steve Petersen, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

This is great. I am taking a group of British soldiers to look at the battles for Rome. We are staying in Terracina and will be looking at its capture by 1/337th. It was a turning point in the battle and German failure to defend the area led to the German army commander being sacked.

Here is a map I drew showing the action at Terracina.
    View attachment 24737
    It is covered in the AAR for 337th and their first battalion for May 1944. The first thing they seem to have done after the battle was send the engineers to clear the beach and went for a swim!

Attached Files:

TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Looks as though he was in the 338th Infantry. While I need to do some more searching, here is the unit crest
    [​IMG]
    For some general information about the 338th, look here http://user.pa.net/~cjheiser/ct8/338main.htm

What other material do you have? Pictures? Documents?

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

This won't add a whole lot to what you already know, but here is the info regarding your father on the NARA Electronic POW database. It confirms what Lou stated, that he was in the 338th Infantry Regiment of the 85th Infantry Division. He was first reported as a POW on 11 Oct 1944.

The Battle of Monte Altuzzo may be of interest to you. It took place in September 1944. The US Army in WWII (Green Books) series has a volume which contains 5 chapters on the role of the 338th in that battle. It's titled Break-Through at Monte Altuzzo, and contains maps and a few photos as well.

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

5. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

That is a very interesting ara to visit. You can still find many traces of then Gothic line positions IRRC there is a memorial to the 338th

6. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

The website Stand Where They Fought has a page on The Gothic Line Campaign in 1944. Monte Altuzzo is covered about 2/3 of the way down on the page. Lots of great period and modern photos including photos of the 338th Memorial.

I also came across this video posted by the son of a 338th veteran:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1JPB_iOxrs

7. KateyM

KateyM New Member

Hi- I was hoping you had the after action reports for the 339th for October and November 1944. Could you email me the scans? Thanks! -Katey

8. McCarty_gg

McCarty_gg New Member

Hi Jim:
    I would like to obtain a copy, if possible
    Thanks
    Ginger

9. Jonathan Woody

Jonathan Woody New Member

Hello,
    I'm trying to obtain information on my great-grandfather, Edward Franklin Woody. During the Gustav Line Campaign, he served as a Second/First Lieutenant in charge of a Mortar/Weapons Platoon in Company "M", 3rd Battalion, 338th Infantry Regiment. He went on to receive the Silver Star. I'm trying to find out more details about his actions throughout the campaign.

10. lwd

lwd Ace

You might want to consider opening a thread in the information request subforum. Put his unit, name, and nationality in the title and you should get some pretty quick responses. You may get some here as well but specific threads seem to often get quicker and more specific responses.