Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

US infantry uniform in Normandy

Discussion in 'American WWII Uniforms and Equipment' started by Sven De Braekeleir, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Sven De Braekeleir

Sven De Braekeleir New Member

Hello,

I'm doing some research for a project.
    Can anyone help me with some information on what the bulk of the US infantry (not airborne or rangers etc) would have been wearing during the landings, and in the months after (prior to the Bulge, so second half of 1944).
    I have been looking around and see a lot of different colour in trousers and jacket.
    Thanks in advance!

2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

In Europe, two colors, light Olive Drab (OD3) and Medium Olive Drab (OD7) were both issued. OD3 was a sort of dark khaki or taupe, and OD7 was a dull green color. A soldier might get pants of one color and a jacket of another. The combat uniform officially changed in 1943 to a uniform OD7 (green) but supply never really caught up and they were still wearing mixed colors until the end of the war. A light khaki was issued in tropical areas when available.

[​IMG]

George Patton and Slipdigit like this.
  3. chibobber

chibobber Member

Leggings early then double buckle by time of the Bulge.

4. Sven De Braekeleir

Thanks already for this. So the jacket that was issued before the the 1943 variant was the M1941 pattern, correct?
    And does anyone have a similar image as the one above for the pants? What pattern and color were they?
    Where the M43 experiencing the same issue with supply as the jackets? If so, what pattern was most common then?
    I'm just trying to get a feel for what the majority of infantry troops would have been wearing, rather than what the exception was.
    Thanks for this already, much appreciated

5. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

The trousers were wool, in color OD3 or OD7 depending on luck of the draw. That sounds weird today with all the synthetic materials, but wool is a very tough material and has the additional advantage of holding heat when wet. I suspect there was a heavy winter and lighter summer wool trouser, but I don't know much about that.

6. scott livesey

scott livesey Member

What did the tens of thousands of sailors in the Normandy area wear? Army issue or Marine Corps issue?
    the old sailor

7. Sven De Braekeleir

5b1c227d603f9e5458df39ceec67af52.jpg
    What about these trousers? They clearly look darker, more brown than OD3

[​IMG]

8. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I don't know. Maybe wool takes a darker hue than cotton, or maybe they just weren't very picky in the wartime emergency and would take any approximate color? There seem to be several trouser hues in that group, some dark, some light.