Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

USAAF Santa Rosa 1945

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Marnie, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Marnie

Marnie New Member

ISO name of WWII Lieutenant that left USAAF Santa Rosa & plane was shot down on first mission in mid 1945. My grandmother worked at a restaurant near the base. She & her friends would sneak on the base late at night. How do I find the full name of this Lieutenant? He is the father of my Aunt. My Grandmother told her his first & middle name was Richard Franklin. All we know for sure is that he was tall & blonde.

2. JJWilson

JJWilson Active Member

Welcome to the Forums Marnie! We will surely find some info for you, hopefully soon.

3. Marnie

Marnie New Member

I would greatly appreciate any help I could get!!!

4. Jaap Vermeer MDE

Jaap Vermeer MDE Active Member

Attached Files:

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Patron  

I assume your aunt is married.. Do you know her maiden name? That would help us identify her father.

6. Marnie

Marnie New Member

Her father died before she was born. So my Grandmother did not give her his last name. They weren't married either. Throughout her life she was never told her father's last name. He could have been a married man with a family.

Is there a way to find all the men with the first named Richard at USAAF Santa Rosa in 1945? We were told he was a Lieutenant & his plane was shot down on his first mission. We do not know if he was a pilot or one of many on a transport plane. Wouldn't that make him Airborne? My aunt keeps saying Army, but Santa Rosa was an Army Air Force Base.

7. JJWilson

JJWilson Active Member

I would assume Marnie, that you're aunt meant USAAF (Army air Force) especially because of Santa Rosa being as you said an Army Air Force base.

8. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow Patron  

During WWII, the Air Force was part of the US Army, not a separate branch as it is today. So, in one sense, your aunt is not wrong. The term "Airborne" applies to specialized infantry units which are deployed (usually) via parachute.