Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

USS BUNKER HILL CV-17 BLUEPRINTS

Discussion in 'Photographs and Documents' started by CV-17 son, Jun 30, 2019.

1. CV-17 son

CV-17 son New Member

I'm currently doing research to construct a scale model of the USS Bunker Hill CV-17. My father served on the Bunker Hill his/her entire WW2 naval career and was wounded on May 11, 1945 when she was hit by the two Japanese kamikaze planes. Dad passed away eight years ago, but I had promised him that I would build a model of the Bunker Hill in his honor.

While doing a web search for photographs of the Bunker Hill, a photo of blueprints appeared in my Google results. I followed the link and I was able to download several images of the drawing package that had been highlighted denoting the damage done to the Bunker Hill during the kamikaze attack. I contacted Ed Hicks to see if the plans were still available since the posting about the plans was several years old. Ed responded back that the plans had indeed been sold, but would mention my request to the buyer should he ever see him again.

Since I haven't gotten any response, I thought I'd reach out to the members of various WW2 memorabilia sites to see if I could locate the individual who purchased these blueprints. I followed in my Father's footsteps and became a draftsman, so blueprints and engineering drawings are in my blood. I would love to have a full size color copy of the 18 prints in the set to frame and hang in my den alongside the model of the Bunker Hill once she is completed.

BunkerHillgroup (1) (Large) (Medium) (Small).JPG

BunkerHillgroup22_zps49ae2575.jpg

I thank you for taking the time to review my post and look forward to hopefully hearing back from the owner of this collection.

Respectfully,

Joe Klein
    CV17-son

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The blueprints at the end of this file may be useful. Download to get the full size prints.

3. CV-17 son

CV-17 son New Member

OpanaPointer,

Thank you sir, but I already have the Franklin Damage Report in my archive, but her damaged plans are different than those of the Bunker Hill. Would love to find a copy of the Bunker Hill's Damage Report!!

CV-17 son

4. Takao

Takao Ace

CV-17 son likes this.
  5. CV-17 son

CV-17 son New Member

WOW..... THANKS TAKAO!

Those will do nicely in the event I'm unable to locate the battle damaged set.

Much appreciated!!

6. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The damage reports online at NHHC are the only ones available to them. They sent me everything they had for digitization. Some deep diving will be needed.

7. Takao

Takao Ace

It's referenced in "Danger's Hour: The Story of the USS Bunker Hill and the Kamikaze Pilot Who Crippled Her" by Maxwell Taylor Kennedy.
    Danger's Hour
    However, it is not available online. I used the Wayback Machine to check the old dcfpnavymil.org website, they used to have a good many of the damage reports online, but they were dropped some years ago. Unfortunately, the Bunker Hill's was not there.

CV-17 son likes this.