Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

War Movie Still Photos From All Periods

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Skipper, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here they are Carl. I hope you'l lwin the next ones too .
    Ps: I posted the WWII award ones in the militaria picture section

C.Evans likes this.
  2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thank you for merging these threads Skipper.

Pic one is a great movie set during the Korean War which is called: Prisoner of War. Ronald Reagan, is the third man exiting the shack under close guard of a Korean or Chinese soldier. The man in front of Reagan is Steve Forrest. The first mans name is Dewey Martin.

I am hoping by tomorrow, to hear of a 2nd Prisoner of War still is mine or not?

Also, I just secured 6 great shots of the 1956 re-release of: The Fighting 69th, w/ James Cagney, Pat O'Brien, Alan Hale Sr and Frank McHugh.

Also, I am hoping to secure a miny set of Lobby Cards to an Indian Wars period movie called: The Flaming Frontier. This is a "B" Western with a couple of "A" list stars in it-such as Bruce Bennett. The folks im hoping to get these from are in Houston.

Big Edit; The second Pow Still is mine and was confirmed a few minutes ago.

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

It doesnt sound very good about me getting that "B" Western Lobby Card set but im still crossing my fingers for good luck on getting them.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I have a slim chance at getting those Flaming Frontier LCs. I made another behind the scenes offer and if he still refuses? oh well, ill go for some other War movie stills instead ;-))

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Carl's latest:(it's the only one you won so far Carl)

[​IMG]

C.Evans likes this.
  6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thank you Skipper ;-))

All of these are from: The Fighting 69th which had James Cagney, Pat O'Brien, Alan Hale Sr, Gwinn "Big Boy" Williams and Frank McHugh in them.

If anyone is a Cagney fan-other than me? you must have seen this movie by now and know it was well made and is a WWI movie. This is a pseudo story told of how an all "Irish" Regiment (69th New York) was joined at the "hip" with an all Southern Regiment (The 4th Alabama) along with another Regiment which then became the Rainbow Division and was part of the AEF that was sent to and fought in France in WWI.

One very interesting thing about the joining of these two regiments was that the 69th NY and 4th Ala-had roots dating at least to the Civil War and these two Regiments opposed each other during the battle for "Maryes Heights" and in which the 4th Alabama whipped the pants off the 69th New York Rgmt. Anyway, they came together and made for an excellent fighting division during WWI.

Pic 1) Had to tell who is in it but I think the officer is Pat O'Brien.
    Pic 2 is Cagney about to fire a flare from the flare gun and he was not supposed to do so and the Germans firt on the trenches and kill many 69th men.
    Pic 3) The taller soldier is Cagneys Sergeant (Alan Hale Sr.) who is warning him not to act up or he'll suffer some bad consequences.
    Pic 4) A comedy relief scene in which several 69th men try to get a Donkey to get up.
    Pic 5) I cant see well enough to say who the actors are in it. Its a scene before they launch a raid on the German trenches.
    Pic 6) Is the Cagney character "losing his head" and yelling because hes scared shipless and the Germans are about to fire on the 69th trenches again causing casualties that Cagney caused.

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Skipper, wait till you see the newest purchase ;-)) This is a great shot of James Coburn as Sergeant Steiner in: Cross of Iron. Also in the pic is Klaus Lowitsch (CPL Krueger) and another person. Steiner and Krueger and the others are about to be led through Russian lines as PWs. Steiner has his hands behind his head-really a great shot of Coburn if I might add again ;-))

Cross of Iron stills are hard to come by-as well as is anything else to do with that great movie. I just happened to be at the right time and the right place-for this one.

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

here is Steiner

[​IMG]

C.Evans likes this.
  9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

hi Skipper, thank you for this oen as well. any Cross of Iron movie fans will know this is a near end of movie shot where Steiner and the others were being led through Russian lines as "captured" Germans.

I remember this movie still being on display at the local Cine 1&2 theaters in Kingsville, as well as the poster on display. finding any "real" images of Cross of Iron is VERY hard to come by these days. The color shots are even much more rarer.

I love the grim looks on the faces of Steiner, Kern and Krueger-really says it all.

10. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

One that was'nt seen in the great escape..
    [​IMG]
    David McCallum as Ashley-Pitt and Steve McQueen as Hilts get soused while celebrating the 4th of July with homemade moonshine. The scene was ultimately removed from the final release cut of The Great Escape.

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Ive got a couple like this one. These are usually only production shots which are also rare in their own right. I have one such shot of John Wayne in: Fort Apache in a shot that he was not in in the movie-elsewise, he too would have been killed along with Henry Fonda and Victor McLaglen. The scene is a near end of the movie scene where all the surviving officers and non-coms of Henry Fondas command-are holed up in a depression in the ground and the Apaches are about to start their final charge.

PS, Ray, great shot none the less. Having Steve McQueen in it is a great bonus

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Keep them coming guys-thats what this thread is for-to place a "face" with some of the war movies that gets talked about here.

Ray and I can't be the only keepers of the flame. There will be much more added here in the coming weeks.

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I forgot to mention that I know Bill-the owner of this photo ;-)) Hes a huge collector of these and even gave me a few pointers in collecting these. In fact, he is the one whom sent me several Charlton Heston as Ben Hur-and several Steve McQueen-in Hell Is For Heros--stills. I have his permission to use them here providing I can finally get around to forwarding his emails to me to someone here for posting them ;-)) Bill has around 15,000 images which puts my tiny little collection to shame. I have now and with the others still not yet arrived-probably about 60 images.

14. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

[​IMG]
    Click to enlarge.
    In 1937, Errol Flynn starred with Joan Blondell (1; 2; 3;) in the Perfect Specimen, a Warner Brothers comedy in which Flynn had a boxing scene. To build up his public image, the studio falsely claimed that the Tasmanian-born actor had actually represented Australia as a boxer in the 1928 Olympics.

not a ww2 carl, but errol in a very different role...

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi ray, thats allright-Flynn was good in every film I ever saw him in. I almost mistook this one from: Gentleman Jim-another boxing role of his and also another great movie.

16. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

[​IMG]
    Along with John Wayne, the Company’s most prominent member was Ward Bond (1903–1960). Both Wayne and Bond came to Ford in the late 1920s as a pair of frat-boy college football players from USC looking for summer studio work as grips, stuntmen, whatever they could get. A hardworking character actor, Bond had a different kind of appeal than the Duke, but one no less important to Ford’s films.

back on track carl.. the late great ward bond.....

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Id forgotten to give info on these Von Ryans Express color stills.

Nr 1) The nighttime train scene just after they got attacked by Allied aiercraft.

Nr 2) End of movie sceen where they are on that footbridge trying to go around th4e mountain and they are firing at attacking "Messers".

Nr 3) The American PWs-near the beginning of the movie. Great shot and this is one thats more commonly encountered and also used in Ads and such.

Nr 4) Scene on the train with the Italian Woman who is a prisoner of the prisoners.

Nr 5) Recaptured after their night "on the lam".

Nr 6) Scene after they escape with Oriani-and is before being recaptured.

Nr 7) Nice production pic in B&W w/ Frank Sinatra and Trevor Howard. These are more common than the color stills and more often encountered.

18. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Nice shot of W/Bond in TWE. In fact, I have been thinking of looking for a few of these but have a few other priorities first-such as ome from back To Bataan-which I found but were priced too high-even if they were some great shots of Duke, Anthony Quinn and Paul Fix.

19. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

20. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Just secure a 2nd Cross of Iron still this morn. This one is a great shot of James Mason as Colonel Brandt and is a bunker scene and take place after Captain Stranskys replacement has already taken command of the Company and this is where Brandt is giving the speech to his Company Commanders saying that they will push the Russians all the way back to Moscow.

Ill notify Skipper tomorrow morning of this one too so he can place it here ;-))

Great Back to Bataan scenes. I found several good stills from this movie but cant afford them as of now. In fact, two I wanted to buy are two posted above.

The first one I want which IS shown above is Pic Nr 1 1st row top. The other is: 2nd row last photo.

I also found another great shot related to the first one which is when Col Madden (Duke) is visiting one of his officers who is in a shellhole (Anthony Quinn) and I found a couple with Duke and Paul Fix in them-both are similar to the pics on 1st row 4th and 5th shown.