Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

West Point Cadet Quits Citing Religious Pressures

Discussion in 'Military Training, Doctrine, and Planning' started by Poppy, Dec 5, 2012.

1. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Reminds me of the Sikh I mentioned earlier, it was when I was in the Army. He was allowed to grow his facial hair though contrary to regulations, he was provided with a Green turban vs a Green Beret, and had special religiously appropriate underwear that the military provided.

In general that has been my experience, most are pogues more interested in their comfort and perogatives than ministering to the troops. That said there are exceptions, I've known a few and the good ones are truly inspirational.

Here are some links to some particularly inspirational ones, read and enjoy.

On September 4, 1967, during Operation Swift in the Republic of Vietnam a US Marine company with 1st battalion 5th Marines encountered an NVA force of approximately 2500 troops. As additional companies were sent to reinforce the heavily engaged Marines, US Navy Lt., Father Vincent Robert Capodanno "The Grunt Padre" performed the following act:

"For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as Chaplain of the 3d Battalion, in connection with operations against enemy forces. In response to reports that the 2d Platoon of M Company was in danger of being overrun by a massed enemy assaulting force, Lt. Capodanno left the relative safety of the company command post and ran through an open area raked with fire, directly to the beleaguered platoon. Disregarding the intense enemy small-arms, automatic-weapons, and mortar fire, he moved about the battlefield administering last rites to the dying and giving medical aid to the wounded. When an exploding mortar round inflicted painful multiple wounds to his arms and legs, and severed a portion of his right hand, he steadfastly refused all medical aid. Instead, he directed the corpsmen to help their wounded comrades and, with calm vigor, continued to move about the battlefield as he provided encouragement by voice and example to the valiant Marines. Upon encountering a wounded corpsman in the direct line of fire of an enemy machine gunner positioned approximately 15 yards away, Lt. Capodanno rushed a daring attempt to aid and assist the mortally wounded corpsman. At that instant, only inches from his goal, he was struck down by a burst of machine gun fire. By his heroic conduct on the battlefield, and his inspiring example, Lt. Capodanno upheld the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life in the cause of freedom."

Father Vincent Capodanno and the Meaning of

Then there was the "Four Immortal Chaplains":
    "The torpedo knocked out the Dorchester's electrical system, leaving the ship dark. Panic set in among the men on board, many of them trapped below decks. The chaplains sought to calm the men and organize an orderly evacuation of the ship, and helped guide wounded men to safety. As life jackets were passed out to the men, the supply ran out before each man had one. The chaplains removed their own life jackets and gave them to others. They helped as many men as they could into lifeboats, and then linked arms and, saying prayers and singing hymns, went down with the ship."

Four Chaplains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

USMC....Pricey.mate...have you seen the Sikh in the guards this week..No Bearskin hat, wears his turban instead...Lots of pressure was brought on him to wear the bearskin..he kept to the turban. Good on him...Except...even with that...he joined a club that wears bearskins as part of its uniform...He was allowed to wear the turban at Buck house instead...Surely the club could have designed a bearskin for over wear on a turban in this day and age rather than cause the small uproar it did. No thought seems to go into things these days.

And yes...some padres in military do do their thing..ww2 showed that also..but the ones I came across were in it more for a seat at the top table and a salute from the rest of us.

3. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

No sir, haven't seen him, if he's anything like our Sikh he's probably a very good soldier. Ours was.

I can understand the flip side of the argument also, that's a lot of tradition being messed with.

I'm in full agreement with you, that's why I stated, "most are pogues more interested in their comfort and perogatives than ministering to the troops."
    I'd say at least 60% or better are the sub-standard types, looking for the perks. You can't fool the troops though. Sit in an air conditioned office all week and then once a week travel to the field in a vehicle, with an assistant, to hold your worship service and the troops won't go. Spend your time in the field with the soldiers, share the troops hardships, eat, sleep, freeze and sweat with them and they'll be at the service, even if they aren't of the same denomination.

4. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Speculation: What if he was a Christian in a school for Engineering that required he attend mosque?

5. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

An old CO of mine once remarked (after a few beers) that he wondered how many Chaplains we'd have if they came in as third class petty officers (E-4). There's a kernel of truth in that observation and I never forgot it. Why does a Chaplain have three times the pay, perks and benefits of a nuclear or electronics or aviation tech, or a rifleman for that matter?

I'm not anti-religion in any way, but the Chaplain's "specialty" does seem out of proportion to their pay and rank.

6. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Personally, I don't know why most officers get more pay than infantrymen. Having said that, I would guess it does have something to do with post-graduate education. Most, though not all, ordained clergy have post graduate degrees.

7. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I used to kill people for $247/month. Sky pilots got a lot more than that. And they were REMFs. If they were smart, that is. One decided to show me that God was watching out for me. He went out on two legs and came back in a bag. Sorry, Chaps, mission not accomplished.