Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Mahross, Feb 1, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Mahross

Mahross Ace

Seeing as the old thread has gone somewhere. I thought i'd start it back up. I am currently reading:

Chester Wilmott The Struggle for Europe

John Terraine - The Right of the Line

What about you guys?

[ 01. February 2004, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Mahross ]

2. volkbert

volkbert Member

I just read the Hitler/Hess deception wrtitten by Martin Allen(see thread in this section) and want to begin in a book about a dutch nazi: Rost van Tonningen.
    Also I think about reading Stalingrad of Beevor for the second time.

3. FramerT

FramerT Ace

Just started reading"GOTTERDAMMERUNG-1945" for the second time.

4. Onthefield

Onthefield Member

I'm starting Flyboys by James Bradley which is so far very interesting. Next on my list is probably going to be Armoured Battles of the Waffen-SS. You Waffen guys already have been getting me interested. :D

5. Oliphaunt

Oliphaunt Member

at the moment i'm reading:
    Fictiones by Jorge Luis Borges
    Roll Me Over: an infantrymans WW2 by Raymond Gantter

6. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Oli,

Let me know what you think of Roll Me Over. I have it on my 'To Read' pile, but am not sure...

I am currently reading Desicion in Normandy by Carlo D'este.

And wednesday the biography of Michiel Adriaanzn. de Ruyter is waiting for me at the bookstore!

[ 02. February 2004, 05:00 AM: Message edited by: Stevin Oudshoorn ]

7. volkbert

volkbert Member

You are a little too far back in time Stevin with that De Ruyter book!! :D :D :D

8. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Yes, I know....Give or take a few 100 years. But I think he was the inspiration for Karel Doorman.

No WW2 subject, but I thought I'd better read up on Dutch (military) history anyway. He is the founder of the Dutch Marine Corps....

9. Oliphaunt

Oliphaunt Member

well stevey i finished Roll Me Over and i have to say that aesthetically its almost beautiful in parts.. very well written.. he has an interesting take on pretty much everything (atrocity, boredom, the caste system of the military) he was very well educated and over 30 years old when he went in so there isnt any gung-ho bravado.. definitely worth the read

10. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Thanks for that plug, oliphant! I will leave it on the To Read pile and will actually put it higher on the list. As you describe it will definately interest me. I read bits and pieces and thought it was a bit rambling at times. But because I am very much interested in the personal experience of the man on the ground, this will probably suit me just fine.
    I didn't realize he was 30(+?), which probably makes this memoir a bit more balanced/nuanced(?) than many others I have read.

[ 05. February 2004, 03:26 AM: Message edited by: Stevin Oudshoorn ]

11. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Still with the 'bomber war' and reading one of the hardest biographies to find - 'Pathfinder Cranswick ' published in 1962 and never reprinted.

12. Greenjacket

Greenjacket Member

Currently reading John Terraine's The Smoke and the Fire, a fascinating read.

13. Mahross

Mahross Ace

Just picked up a special edition of the Journal of Stategic Studies entiled 'Seapower: Theory and Practice'. This is a series of interesting articles realting the application of the theories of people such as Mahan and Corbett throughout the 20th century.

14. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Looking through the Histoire&Collections S-boote 1939-1945 at present. Real quick it seems the French firm has hijacked quite a bit of materials from other books......shame, shame.

Excellent text and high quality paper with sharp photos for the 3/4rs of the book. Do see some mis-marked boots though and it would of been quite helpful if they would of contacted German veterans first hand and through the KM Gemeinschaft.

Overall after a brief look I would recommend it....

~E

15. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

This las weekend's reading: "Orlando" by Virginia Woolf, "Braxton Bragg's Sabre" by Juan Concha —a film script, written by a friend of mine— and "Master and Commander" by Patrick O'Brian.

No WWII books right now... [​IMG]

It is a shame that Jorge Luis Borges is one of the authors that are completely ruined by translations. There are some paragraphs that are untranslateable to other languages. And thanks to the English's awkwardness, it is one of the hardest to translate. :(

16. AndyW

AndyW Member

MacDonald, L.: Somme

Actually not that good as I 've thought it to be.

Cheers,

17. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

managed to get a hold of Business in Great Waters by John Terraine. Might even manage to read it THIS year!

18. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Thanks to Stevin O, I am now reading through the Gerhard Hümmelchen book classic "Die Deutschen Schnellboote im Zweiten Weltkrieg"

A very impressive OOP title via Mittler u. Sohn Verlag from Hamburg. In German. Concise operational actions, and extensive appendices. The only drawback is the photos of the Ritterkreuz winners which are bad copies. 257 pages mit bild. Highly recommended title that all S-boot buchs should be compared too.

1. S-boot flottille, privately published and signed with dedication by the author DK winner Gerhard Behrens is coming to me shortly so this should be an interesting read. Gerhard by the way received his Deutsche Kreuz while serving as Kommandeur of S-225 and the boot was released into US custody at the end of the war. Gerhard received his high award in 1954.

alles gut !

Erich ♠

19. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Now reading "At swim, two boys" a novel by Jamie O'Neill. A love story between two teenagers in Ireland, in the middle of the Estern rebelion in 1916.

Very good novel. I just don't get much of the Irish-English... :confused:

[ 26. February 2004, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: General der Infanterie Friedrich H ]

20. Onthefield

Onthefield Member

I am currently reading Flyboys by James Bradley which is an amazing presentations of the mindset of Japanese soldiers. I'm really enjoying it. :D