Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Mahross, Feb 1, 2004.

Tags:
  1. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

You'll love Berlin. I did 2 years there. Great place.

2. BigBlack

BigBlack Member

With the Old Breed: : At Peleliu and Okinawa by E.B. Sledge.

3. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Its good being laid up on a sofa, old movies and old books...Just managed to return to and finish Martin Poppells Heaven and Hell..German Paratroopers tale of his service in ww2, with brief introduction before war and an excellent but again brief story of his immediate life in pow camp and return to Germany afterwards.

Another soldiers tale that reads like a novel. An exceptional man, with although not exceptional experiences to others who might have served on the front line, let us remember most did not though...His thoughts at each stage of his service blast out of the page.

Great read.

4. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Member

That's funny, I just started reading this book myself. My wife and I were at Barnes & Noble and I happened to spy it on the shelf and realize I had still never read this book. I have the history channel show about this on my DVR still, plan on ordering the dvd set they have of it. After that I have 2 books on WWI that my wife had bought me from the history book club, "The Western Front 1914-1916" and "the Western Front 1917-1918" that I'm looking forward to reading as well.

5. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Just finished RAF Airfield Construction Units 1939-45, a truly fascinating book. I never knew the RAF actually had a school of airfield construction!

6. Firefoxy

Firefoxy Dishonorably Discharged

I have not read this book yet, but when i do find this book i will read it.
    It's called - The German Wehrmacht On All Fronts 1939-1945.

I think it will be a great read, if i can find it.

http://www.ww2.com.ar/wehrmacht.php

7. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

New orders:

Ace Profile: Max-Helmut Ostermann/Bergstrom

Combat History of Sturmgeshütz-Abteilung 197/Munch

Combat History...StuG-Brigade 276/Fleischer

8. texson66

texson66 Ace

After a discussion at work one day about Taffy 3, a coworker (a card carrying member of the Tin Can Sailor Assoc) came by with a book I've just started: "The Buccaneers of Harry Spears". It chronicles the three squadrons of Navy B-24s during WWII. I havent had time (Stuffing turkey into my mouth) to get started. I'll report back on the book later into or after the read.

9. Richard

Richard Expert

The Mighty Eighth: A History of the Units, Men and Machines of the US 8th Air Force

Enjoyed it so much I'm re-reading again right now. :D

Big thanks to Erich & Martin for there help. :)

10. cd13

cd13 Member

I just finished Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors. Wow - does it get any better than that for ww2 navy history? Amazing book.

Now on to Sajer's The Forgotten Soldier - I hear that's pretty good:thumbup: (haha)

11. Los Kamilos

Los Kamilos recruit

At the moment I'm reading "Ark Royal" by Mike Rossiter. Interesting book, gives great insight into the service of the British aircraft carrier "Ark Royal" which was built by Cammel Laird and Company.

12. fsbof

fsbof Member

Just finished Shadow of Suribachi by Albee and Freeman. Very good and well written account of the Marines' planting of both flags on Suribachi. Using numerous cited references and interviews, it goes into great detail about the participants, why the flags were raised, how the photos were taken, and what happened following publication of Rosenthal's famous photo. The authors do a masterful job of discussing the controversies that swirled around the Rosenthal photo, and debunking the myths and accusations about its authenticity.

13. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

I just read Slave Worker in the Channel Islands by John Dalmau. It is a very short book which tells the authors experience as a Spaniard who worked as a slave under the Nazis for five years in France and the Channel Islands. The authors experiences are presented in anecdotal fashion and I don't know that any of his tales can be substantiated (unless we take his word for it) but it was an interesting read nonetheless.

14. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

The Finnish translated version of:

Trevor J. Constable • Raymond F. Toliver :
    Erich Hartmann

Which also led me to buy a couple of autographs again....So check the latest purchases section....

15. bigfun

bigfun Ace

Nice tie in Kai!! I just saw the militaria section! Nice photos!

I am reading, what seems to be a never ending saga of books by the 506th PIR Easy Company, Brothers In Battle, Best of Friends. By "Wild Bill" Guarnere and "Babe Heffron. It gives a section by one then the other, like two stories in one! So far a very interesting book! Keep them coming from Easy company, I say!

16. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I'm currently reading the adventures of Coluche who was a soldier in Napoleon's army.

17. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

NJWD's by Theo Boiten, volume 1, 2nd volume is nowhere to be seen ........... sniff

18. tikilal

tikilal Ace

Wages of Destruction

19. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

Holland patch about 2 s staffs at Arnhem tis good!

20. texson66

texson66 Ace

Trying to get into Glantz, David M.; Jonathan M. House (2004). The Battle of Kursk.

I think I'm going to copy all the maps and enlarge them to refer to as I read. Pag flipping back & forth is not fun!