Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What have you been watching?

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Deep Web Diver, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Deep Web Diver

Deep Web Diver Member

The FX network recently broadcast Edward Zwick's First Iraq War film Courage Under Fire, which starred Denzel Washington. In Courage Under Fire, Zwick, who had previously worked with Denzel Washington on the American Civil War film Glory, made a film which is probably more interesting and perhaps more relevant today than it was when it was released in 1996.

The film weaves a tale of friendly fire casualties (both accidental and deliberate), women in combat and the reactions of different soldiers to combat and the consequences of decisions made under fire. The film was very well cast. In addition to Denzel Washington, the cast included Sean Astin, Matt Damon, Lou Diamond Phillips, Michael Moriarty and Meg Ryan as Captain Karen Walden.

The film's story of chaotic nighttime battles and a downed medevac chopper crew surrounded by hostile Iraqi forces probably resonates more strongly today than it did in 1996. I suspect that few people in 1996 would have been able to name any women who had served in combat, or name any non-combatant troops who had served in combat, or name any friendly-fire casualties.

Today, the story of Captain Karen Walden's stranded Medevac crew may remind viewers of Jessica Lynch and the small convoy of lost Army mechanics who were killed or captured by Iraqi forces who outgunned and outnumbered them. Today, the term friendly-fire casualty may remind viewers of Pat Tillman, the former NFL player who left football to serve as an Army Ranger in Afghanistan.

All in all, a remarkable and still timely film.

[ 21. February 2005, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: Deep Web Diver ]

2. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

I completely agree, DWD. Courage Under Fire is a very good film indeed. The best film about the I Gulf War I've watched so far.

It combines the action type of Black Hawk Dawn and the thrilling judicial trama of A Few Good Men.

:cool:

3. FramerT

FramerT Ace

Saw 'Braveheart' for the first time,well not WWII,but pretty good movie. [​IMG]

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Just watched ´"Heart´s war". Racism in Stalag...

A couple of DVD´s that I just ordered:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

;)

5. Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler Member

I just caught Windtalkers again the other day on the history channel. Not a bad movie, it's a little inaccurate though. That's Hollywood for you.

I also saw an interesting documentary on "Hitler's Lost Plan." It was about Hitler's sequal to Mein Kampf. After I got done watching it, I was doing a little reseach on the net about it and I found the book online. Here is the link if anyone is interested.

6. FramerT

FramerT Ace

Saw "Guns of Navarone" again this week-end. I still think Greg Peck made the right decision on his "3 choices" about what to do with the wounded officer.

7. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Got the German DVD of Downfall two days ago and been watching some of "the best parts" since..

8. Heartland

Heartland Member

Last week I ordered the DVD "miniseries" version of the Das Boot, as part of my recent excursion into u-boot warfare (courtesy of subsim computergame Silent Hunter III).

Watched the six hours during the weekend (as my girlfriend was away, heh), and...well...wow. It really is a brilliant piece of art.

[​IMG]

Also got the Czech movie Dark Blue World, but haven't watched it yet. Spitfire & Messerchmitt galore during the Battle of Britain apparently.

9. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Bought " Battlefield:El-Alamein the War file " and hoping to get it before the weekend!

;)

10. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Unfortunately nothing new in the El Alamein document but it really hurts when time after time they show pics of Spitfires and call them the Hurricane the tankbuster...or Pics of General Horrocks and claim he is General Alexander...

BTW, just showed on TV over here the BBC documentary part I of III covering the later stages of war starting with the invasion and all the way to the end of the WW2. Some interesting footage and interviews of the veterans.

11. stanchev

stanchev Member

I recommend You great holocaust movie with Harvei Kaitel "Grey Zone" A difficult look at the true story of the Sonderkommando, Jewish prisoners co-opted to assist in the operation of the Nazi death camps -- and who, in one case, revolted to destroy the tools of their destruction.
    [​IMG]

12. stanchev

stanchev Member

Tim Blake Nelson's The Grey Zone centers around the Sonderkommandos, who are a group of Jewish prisoners that actually lead a revolt against the German Nazis to attempt to destroy a few of their crematories. The unit is comprised of Jews that are ordered by the Nazis to lead in other Jewish prisoners into the gas showers and to them assist in the total extermination of their bodies. In exchange, the Sonderkommandos get four extra months to live and special privileges, such as cigarettes and whiskey. The film is some what told through the historical character of Dr. Milkos Nyiszli (Corduner), who was a assistant to the grotesque medical experiments ordered by the Nazis in exchange for his life and the lives of his family. The first half of the film sets up the plan by the Sonderkommando unit for the rebellion, which includes the Polish Jews and the Jewish women as well. The men feel that the rebellion will give some redemption to their lives for assisting in the killings of their own kind. However, when the men find a 14-year-old girl that somehow survived the gas chamber, a renewed since of hope of survival is created among them.

[​IMG]

13. stanchev

stanchev Member

due to anniversary of Warsaw ghetto Uprising polish TV showed "Uprising"
    The film tells the story of Jewish resistance against Nazi oppression throughout World War II in the Warsaw Ghetto. Chock full of big name stars, including Jon Voight (Pearl Harbor), David Schwimmer (“Friends”), Leelee Sobieski (Joy Ride) and Hank Azaria (America’s Sweethearts),

[​IMG]

14. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

[​IMG]

Ok, but not very thrilling anyway. Probably won´t watch this one again in my life...

15. Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler Member

I just watched Hell is for Heroes the other day. One of the less popular WWII flicks.

16. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

I liked Hell Is For Heroes with Steve Mcqueen. Although, the best part of the whole movie is the last five minutes. Still, one of my favorites. Anyone see Kingdom of Heaven yet? Word is, it's pretty close to history. I would have rather it had been based around the 1st Crusade than the 3rd myself. The last thing I saw at the movies was Master and Commander (how long ago was that?) I'll probably wait for this one to come out on DVD. Who knows......

17. Herr Kaleun

Herr Kaleun Member

Just recently purchased and saw "The Big Red One: The Reconstruction." 40-plus minutes have been added to this classic. :eek: And those added minutes are fantastic! :D The movie is now what Samuel Fuller wanted to show, but studio execs made him cut it short.

The character development is outstanding...which goes without saying. And with the added footage, the pacing of the movie is much better than the original release...believe it or not!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. FramerT

FramerT Ace

Been watching "Last days of WWII" and Hitler's War on tv.They actually went into detail this time...with some new footage.
    For instance the fighting in the forest around the Elbe river, Gen.Wenck supposedly coming to 'defend' Berlin only to surrender to the Allies.

19. Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler Member

Just watched The Great Escape yet again. That movie never gets old. I also just picked up the book by Paul Brickhill.

"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or from the air, and I plan on doing both before the war is over."

20. Monty Cassino

Monty Cassino Member

But Col. Hessler, if you quit trying to escape you can sit out the war as comfortablely as possible! [​IMG]