Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What if France and England actualy attacked?

Discussion in 'What If - European Theater - Western Front & Atlan' started by tomflorida, Oct 26, 2011.

1. leccy1

leccy1 Member

I said debatable as several years ago when trying to find out French armoured strength I could only come up with a larger number if I included the armour in the French Colonies, I would assume with easier access to information especially online that it would be easier than the methods I used.

The figures for the Allies are the same as this but the Germans are a bit less.
    http://www.tarrif.net/wwii/pdf/DL - Number of AFVs on 10 May 1940.pdf

2. LJAd

LJAd Well-Known Member

These are the number of Rench tanks that were IN France in the combat units(not including those in the colonies) on 10 may 1940 (Source :number of AFV's on 10 may 1940,by David Lehman)
    Hotchkiss tanks :822
    Renault R35/39:945
    Renault D2 :45
    FCM36 :90
    Somua S35 :235
    Renault B1 bis :206
    Renault FT 17 :462
    FCM-2C :8
    Tanks outside metropolitan France :537
    Reinforcements in may/june (estimation):688
    There also are 279 "armored cars" that could be counted as light tanks reaching a total of 3,101 tanks
    The AMR33/AMR35 ZT1 are MG/armed light tanks like the Panzer I on German side .
    For the Germans,Lehman is giving the following
    643 PzI
    880PzII
    148 PzBef
    349 PzIII
    128 Pz35(t)
    207 Pz38(t)
    281 PzIV
    Total:2636
    Reinforcements :288

3. scrounger

scrounger Member

Considering there's more to mounting a large scale offensive than taking a pocket full of bullets and grabbing a rifle and heading for the German lines . I believe it would have taken months to mobilize than to amass the necessary rienforcements and supplies to mount such an attack , than given the World War 1 mindset of most of the allied command they would have waited for spring for better weather and drier roads, than i think it would have been a slower paced offensive not a Rommel type thrust advancing only as far as the artillary could reach than bringing the guns up before advancing again. By now the Polish campaign was over and the whole German miltiary would be moving west, especially the Luftwaffe, and it wouldn,t be long before the German airforce begins bombing the allied supply lines ,and things like bridges slowing any attack to a crawl . Than the Germans would have counterattacked on the flanks and the allies would have had to retreat or risk being surrounded. Than it's back to square one !!! No matter how you put it the Allies were thinking it was 1914-1918 all over again and tatically the Germans were a generation ahead of all that...

4. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

I think Tristan had it right. Stop the Germans in 1936 when they attempted to remilitarize the Rhine. After that, no joy.

5. LJAd

LJAd Well-Known Member

For a lot of reasons,the French did not stop the Germans in 1936;Britain ....was not concerned.