Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What if Germany had it's advanced technology earlier on?

Discussion in 'What If - Other' started by Captain_Ordo, Jun 7, 2009.

1. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I don't believe any of us felt you were being rude, but I also don't think that our responses were the result of being American. My reading leads me to think that Germany, with whatever technological advances it made, could not have won WW2. Their lack of natural resources, limited manpower, and the poor decision making of Hitler all contributed to the loss. If you add in the fact that Germany had a totalitarian government that stifled the free flow of ideas, it only helped to seal the deal. The vast resource base and technological advances of the Americans far outstripped anything that Germany could produce. I don't have the technical expertise of others in the forum, but I just don't see how Germany could have won the war. Even if Britain had succumbed in the Battle of Britain, the US would still have ramped up their production and ultimately come out victorious. The Soviets were also doing their part in the east to keep Germany from any thoughts of victory.

2. Heidi

Heidi Dishonorably Discharged

yuo guys knowe howe to come up withe goode answers!lol.
    Ok,liminted manpower,i forgot abuot thate!Thate wuolde effect germany!ande wuode made germany lose the war.
    in responce to the threade heading,without liminted manpower ande Hitler idoitoed bad moves,germany withe earlier high teach tecnolghy cuolde have won ww2???

3. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

Are you using babelfish or some sort of translator, Heidi?

4. cross of iron

cross of iron Member

Germany had enough manpower and sufficient modern technology to win the war.

Germany could have defeated the USSR if not for Hitler actually let his generals, namely Manstein, draft a plan and implement it with absolute freedom. With the USSR defeated, Germany would be in a far better position to defend itself from any Allied invasion. The original plan was o take care of the USSR before the Allies fully geared up for war. Once that is achieved, Germany would have all the resources and manpower neccesary to fight America on equal terms.

5. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

Germany has until mid 1945 to conquer America/Europe and then win the war. It's not happening..

6. Heidi

If yuo mean thate I am a computer program posing as a human,no i am a reale person!

I have born withe a speche problem ande english ist not really native to me,ande so this means i can;t connect in the same way as other membbers do.
    No,i am not using any engilsih translater.
    back to topic nowe?

cross of iron likes this.
  7. cross of iron

cross of iron Member

Not a problem, Heidi. English is my second language too. In fact, I am thinking about learning German.

PS:I think I am in love with your avatar.

8. cross of iron

cross of iron Member

Of course not, nor does it have to be. The original plan was to leave America to the next generation.

9. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

No, he is asking if you are using a computer program or webpage to translate your German sentences into English.

Like I said earlier, you keep typing, we'll figure it out. If we can't, we'll ask you to try again.;)

10. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

It was never in the interest of the Western Allies to allow the Third Reich to survive. The bombs would most likely have been dropped.

11. Heidi

So yuo;re not english or American or german! Yuo a russian?
    thate;s goode thate yuo are learning german,comes in handy if yuo are travling to germany.

My avator -it;s probelry my stare i gave out,thate made yuo think like thate,it;s hunting!lol

12. Heidi

I never hearsde abuot thate german sentences can be change into English! Thate wuolde come in handy!

Ok,i won;t take this off topic anymore! But Thankes.

13. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

The thing you are not taking into account is the ability of the Allies to see what is going on in Germany. So if Germany would have been producing jet powered aircraft and ballistic missiles the Allies would have known. It's not like the Allies said : "Where the heck did the German's get all this stuff" when they rolled through Poland.

14. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Free Online Translator

Here you go Heidi, it has a limit of 500 words but that shouldn't be problem.:)

15. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

I think the main reason Germany lost the war was that they tried to declare war on everyone at once, such as Britain, the USA, Russia, Canada French, and lets be honest virtually every nation in Europe, and it was too much for one nation. The Germans did certainly have advanced technology in some respects, some although they didn't invent, but they did manage to get them working effectively, many of which they we still use improved versions off, But so did many of the other nations to say that the Germans were more advanced then other nations is just wrong, compare there navy to Britain, they Air force to the USA, there Army is equivalent of the Americans.

Simply giving the Germans more technology just means the first few years of the war happen faster but for every action is an equal and opposite reaction, you take land somewhere you lose it somewhere else. Eventually the Germans would still be overrun by the sheer amount of allies.

mikebatzel likes this.
  16. Falcon Jun

Falcon Jun Ace

I certainly don't think Germany could've defeated the USSR especially if Great Britain was still standing.
    But for the sake of argument, I'll go along and explore the idea that Germany did defeat the USSR.
    Germany defeating the USSR does not automatically mean that the Hitler's war machine could immediately access the former USSR's resources.
    Remember, the Soviets engaged in a scorched earth policy.
    Germany has to spend resources to repair the USSR and certainly this would take time. And would the Germans have the resources available to rebuild the USSR's infrastructure while still engaged in a war with the US and Great Britain? I certainly don't think so. If the Germans attempted to go this route, it would mean that Hitler would have to play catch up.
    As for the original premise that Germany had its "advanced" technology when Hitler started his rampage, well, that would just mean that the Allies would also have the near equivalent of that German innovation. Why do I say this?
    Take note that in the prewar years, Hitler loved to trumpet Germany's "technological" achievements and supremacy. It was a form of propaganda aimed at raising the German people's morale. With Hitler's penchant for this, Hitler's neighbors would most probably take note of these developments and they would certainly have some enterprising people exploring how to best use these new things. So when Hitler's rampage starts, Germany's so-called "advanced" technology wouldn't really be that advanced.
    Germany, I think would still be able to do what it did historically in the opening weeks of the war because Hitler's forces were primed for battle already and while the Allies weren't. But once the Allies tool up, Germany's days are numbered, even if Germany does manage to defeat the USSR. The war would be longer and bloodier, though.

17. Heidi

I thinke yuo have a mistake in yuo're first senntence! "yuo mentioned thate the main reasone thate germany won the war":eek::confused:.

yuo do have great points in the reste of yuo;re post thuogh.
    I too agree thate hitler got greedy in trying to fight so many Allies at one time.

18. Captain_Ordo

Captain_Ordo Member

Yes, I'm pretty sure the Nazis lost. :)

If the eastern seaboard would be out of range, does anyone think the Brandenburgers could infiltrate America?

Think about it- the Brandenburgers could infiltrate a sea port, destroy the defenses and allow for an invasion to come through.

19. Devilsadvocate

Devilsadvocate Ace

What are you thinking?

That maybe the Brandenburgers arrive disguised as tourists, spread out, and when the word is given, attack the defenses with pistols and shotguns? That's not how they worked.

First there never were enough Brandenburgers to seriously threaten a major US port's defenses, and to attempt to "infiltrate" enough of them to capture and hold a major port would certainly be impossible without raising suspicions on the part of the US authorities.

The second problem is that Germany has no real navy which is a prerequisite for successfully moving any substantial numbers of troops across the Atlantic in the face of opposition from the US Navy, as well as the Royal Navy. So even if the Brandenburgers were to achieve the impossible, there is no way to follow up on it.

Suggesting that Germany has any feasible way of either conducting a serious bombardment of the US or launching an invasion of the US at any point during WW II, moves this thread from a what-if question into the realm of absurd fantasy.

20. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Ok, you are going to let Germany have its 1944 tech, but not the allies? That is bizarre. As to America and air raids in 1940, I think a bit of reference data is appropiate here. In (I think) 1922 the Congress limited the Regular American Army to 12,000 commissioned officers and 125,000 volunteer enlisted men, this did NOT include the 7,000 or so in the Philippine Scouts at that time; Army strength stabilized at about that level until 1936. Sadly many units on the mainland were only on paper; and almost all had only skeleton strength at best. The Regular Army’s nine infantry divisions really possessed the combined strength of only three full divisions and the bulk of these full strength divisions were already overseas in the fairly sizable garrisons the Army maintained in Hawaii, the mid-ocean islands, the Philippines, and Panama.

The Navy on the other hand was well manned, and contained many experienced pilots in both it USN and USMC sections. Almost one-third of the Army’s manpower (in 1935), over 50,000 soldiers, was tied up in the coast artillery mission (east and west) as the logical backstop to the Navy and Army Air Corps (10,000 army men) defensive belts with ships, coastal guns and USAAC and USN aircraft. Then there were about 31,000 American troops in the Pacific area mostly Hawaii, the canal zone, and the mid-ocean islands, including those in the Philippines eventually commanded by "Big Mac" while he was training the Filipino self defense force.

It wasn’t until the passage of the Selective Service Act in late 1940 that the US even had a large enough force to consider operations beyond what they were already engaged in. But this assumes the normal time-line and not the defeat of Great Britain (unlikely in any event), to which the US would respond with increased developments as well.

(following italics are from link below)

The outbreak of war in Europe actually made the Americas more secure, as the Army's War Plans Division pointed out in a memorandum that stressed the degree to which Germany's armed forces were involved in Poland and, later, in Norway and Denmark. The powerful British Royal Navy, supplemented by the French fleet, controlled the Atlantic. As long as those navies existed, the German and Italian fleets could offer no threat to the United States, for no Axis invasion fleet could hope to cross the Atlantic in safety.

By the end of 1941, American defenses were arrayed basically in two great arcs. In the Pacific the defensive line stretched from the Aleutians, through the Hawaiian Islands, to Panama, with advance bases in the Philippines and strategic Pacific islands. In the Atlantic the defensive boundary now reached far into the ocean, from Newfoundland to Bermuda and then to Puerto Rico and the Windward Islands, which guarded the approaches to Panama. In May 1941 President Roosevelt issued orders to all base commanders to resist any attack by forces "of belligerent powers other than those powers which have sovereignty over Western Hemisphere territory." Recognizing that those instructions were vague, the President amended them on 11 September, when he announced a fifty-mile interdicted zone and a "shoot-on-sight policy." Thus by late October American forces were committed to destroying any German or Italian ships or aircraft that appeared anywhere in the western Atlantic zone.

See:

Defense of the Americas

Then if you are going to allow 1944/45 technology to be in the German arsenal, you have to allow the same time-frame development retro-application to the allies. This would put allow the advanced centimetric radars, the two jets of the allies (P-80, Meteor), and the radar proximity fuse to show up years ahead of when they did as well. You cannot (in fairness) give "it" to one side just because you want to. The Allies must be given the same consideration, unless your point is to give the Nazi a win by any means. The same with the "defensive" arcs described above which would keep the Germans out of the western hemisphere. As to them defeating the British in any way shape or form, even with the 262 in their air fleet; that is ludicrous.

And I am sure you meant the V-2 and not the V-3. The V-3 was a supergun which never worked. The V-2 is the only weapon system which killed more people in its construction than it did when deployed against an enemy target. The Germans couldn’t get across the English Channel or the Volga River, how in the world do you imagine they are going to get across the Atlantic Ocean!

Wolfy and Slipdigit like this.