Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What if Hitler had left Berlin at wars end where do you think he would have gone? Why

Discussion in 'What If - Other' started by C.Evans, Jun 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyW

AndyW Member

I thought that the last planes from Berlin carried some of Hitler's ordonnances with his last will. After the deliverance of his political last will had been confirmed , he and some top nazis and Wehrmacht Generals commited suicide.

My pity is with the Goebbels children and Blondi!

Cheers,

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Yes Andy,

I was also checking the net for date 30 April 1945 ( and other dates ) and Fieseler Storch (and other planes ) in Berlin, but haven´t found anything except for the mentioned site so far. Still interested and will report if anything else shows up.If anybody else has stuff on this would be interested to hear!

;)

3. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Well, I know about the Goebbels kids being poisoned by their parents and about Joseph shooting himself in the mouth. But I have doubts about Magda. Was she shot by her husband or did he drink the poison too? :confused:

4. Mustang

Mustang Member

You wanna know where I think he would've gone?.......

.....An Insane Asylum!!!!!! :D

5. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

I suggest you to go to one right now and not let Crazy alone. [​IMG]

6. De Vlaamse Leeuw

De Vlaamse Leeuw Member

I think Magda took poison as well as Josef.
    After that they were shot in their heads, just to make sure that they were both death.

After that the two bodies were burned.

7. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

The Goebbels´ death seems like a mystery as well... I thought for a long time that SS-men shot them outside the bunker. Well, according to the net sites and books there are many different ways except for the children who got the poison injection.

1. They both were shot outside the bunker
    2. They both took poison
    3. Magda took poison and Joseph shot himself

"In the evening on May 1, Goebbels had his six children executed by a lethal injection. At 8:30 he had an SS orderly shoot both himself and his wife Magda in the back of the head."

http://library.thinkquest.org/C0111500/ww2/german/goebbels.htm

Then again if the picture on this site is Goebbels then probably he was burnt after death, and the expression on his face looks like he had taken poison.

http://www.fatherryan.org/holocaust/goebbels/html/death.html

One thing for sure is this:

Not long before his death he says, "We shall go down in history as the greatest statesmen of all time, or as the greatest criminals."

:confused:

8. JOL

JOL Member

Dallas TX, Why? Worldwide Headquarters for 7-Eleven.

Sorry....had to say it!

9. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

On the Goebbels´ family suicide by Roger Manvell and Heinrich Fraenkel:

Dr. Goebbels: His life and death ( 1960 )

The Goebbels´ committed suicide at the latest possible moment. Magda gave the children sleeping medication with the dinner and when they were all full asleep, she gave poison with a spoon. Not until the children were certainly dead, was it time for the parents to do the same.

At half past eight p.m. Naumann, Schwaeger and Rach became the witnesses for the Goebbels´death. Joseph Goebbels was calm and told Naumann he was grateful for his friendship and loyalty. He even tried to make jokes by telling that they would walk the stairs themselves up so that their friends would not have to lift them outside of the bunker...Magda was not able to say a thing. Then Joseph and Magda walked up the stairs hand in hand and vanished.

Naumann and the others waited for gun shots to be heard. Naumann knew that Magda was going to bite the poison capsule just before his husband would shoot her. Joseph would bite the capsule as he would shoot himself in the head.

Finally one, then the other shot. Naumann left the bunker immediately as he was thinking of his escape merely (?). Schwaegermann entered the garden to fulfill his promise.He poured gasoline over the bodies, set the bodies on fire and escaped from the area as well.

The next persons to find the Goebbels´ bodies were the Russians.

10. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

This is a rather ghoulish subject and not my usual sort of intrest, but there has been a lot of research into 'last hours in the bunker' since Manvell & Frankel.

Magda Goebbels enlisted the help of SS dentist Dr Helmut Kunz to kill her children. Goebbels is reported to have said to Kunz : 'Doctor, I'd be grateful if you would help my wife to put the children to sleep'. Magda handed the dentist a syringe of morphia and led the way to their room.
    She gave each child a chocolate, saying : 'Not to worry - the doctor here is going to give you each a little jab that all the other children and soldiers are getting'. She left the room as Kunz adminitered the narcotic, which took him ten minutes. But he refused to administer the actual poison himself. Magda snapped at him to fetch SS surgeon Dr Stumpfegger.

Stumpfegger arrived to find Magda watching over her drugged family. He laid out six ampoules of bluish glass - as Magda gently prised open each mouth, Stumpfegger crushed the phial and tipped the contents in. Sobbing loudly, Magda said 'It's so wretched for me ! It was so painful bringing each one into this world'. Meeting her husband downstairs, she said, 'It's done. The children are dead - now for ourselves'.

The actual suicide can only be pieced together from the uncertain evidence of Soviet autopsies. No real clue can be given as to who died first or how. Splinters of a poison phial were found in the right side of Goebbels' mouth and he had probably also shot himself in the same manner as Hitler. Magda had also swallowed poison. Two SS officers were close by ( Schwagermann and Ochs ) ; on the orders of Schwagermann Ochs delivered two coup de grace shots to the bodies. A Walther pistol was found near the bodies a few days later by the Russians.

( Sources for the above include Hans Baur, Heinz Linge, Soviet interrogation of Kunz, US interrogations of Erich Kempka, Traudl Junge , Gerda Christian and Gunther Schwagermann ).

It's easy to see why 'The Bunker' holds such a macabre fascination but it is really very sordid and sad.

11. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Thanx Martin!

This stayed on my mind and as I found the Goebbels book I thought there´d be more clues to as what had happened.

What you found seem to have more details so I guess it how we can assume how things happened.

Next mission Canaris...

;)

12. De Vlaamse Leeuw

De Vlaamse Leeuw Member

Canaris, he died a few hours before the Allies could liberate him in a concentrationcamp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.