Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What if Stauffenberg's bomb had killed Hitler?

Discussion in 'What If - European Theater - Western Front & Atlan' started by wolfheart, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Devilsadvocate

Devilsadvocate Ace

That's just a negotiating position. The British and Americans were always at odds over some aspect of strategy during WW II and each side threatened all sorts of moves that were never carried out.

Of course, as the war progressed, the Americans gained the upper hand and became the senior partner in the alliance because they were supplying the greater proportion of material, equipment, and manpower.

2. SOAR21

SOAR21 Member

I think, and only think, that Roosevelt definitely considered the ETO the greater priority. By 1942, he had all confidence that Japan would eventually be defeated, and he understood the Soviet post-war threat. Once victory in Europe was also a 100% thing, I'm sure his priority was to liberate as much of Europe as he could before the Soviets did.

3. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Any other sources or references then that? If such a "threat" happened you would think there would be more about it.

4. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Yes, I would like to read more about those threats too. It would make for some good reading. The only threat that I remember reading about was made in 1943, about the time when it was realized that the cross-channel invasion would have to be put off to 1944 at the earliest. The sentiment of some on the US general staff was that the British appeared to be dragging their feet. The threat was something more along the lines of "we're going in '44, with or without you."

5. skywalker

skywalker Member

I highly doubt a civil war would have ensued. Look at things in comparison, they were already commited to a war. I have a hard time believing the SS would have turned on their wehrmacht counterparts, an vice versa.

I think an underground war would have been waged, with high profile assasinations taking place, but civil war, nah.

6. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

Was there such a rife between the Heer and the SS (and waffen-ss)?

Yes, there was competition between the two organizations but also mutual cooperation.

7. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Why are you answering your own question?

8. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Interesting fact: Why Göbbels knew he could contact Hitler when Remer came to him...

In a German TV documentary on the "German Resistance", von Oven described the events of the July 20 plot which he witnessed. On the afternoon in question the Propaganda Ministry on the Wilhelmstrasse, with Goebbels inside was surrounded by disloyal troops. Goebbels ordered Oven to discover whether escape was possible. He found they were trapped but reported that the telephone system was still working, an oversight by the plotters which assisted in their downfall.

Wilfred von Oven - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia