Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What if the government covered up the real way FDR died?

Discussion in 'Fiction' started by Morg308, Oct 12, 2014.

1. lwd

lwd Ace

Was the bootle neck getting Uranium ore? Or refining it to Uranium Oxide? or enriching it? If it was enriching it then getting more ore or Uranium oxide is nice but it doesn't address the bottleneck. Of course that's why Plutonium was selected as the bomb material for most of the planned bombs. It was easier to make in adequate concentrations.

One of the things you are running against here is those of us that frequent these forums have seen some significant and often acrimonious debates over whether or not these things are fact or fiction. Take for example the question of just what was on U-234. Was it just Uranium oxide or was it enriched and if enriched to what level? Or look at the "Grey Wolf" thread(s) for example or any of the German or Japanese atomic bomb threads over on the axis history forum. I know it's not your fault but in the not too distant future I expect to see someone quoteing your book as if it were fact. If some of the bases for the fiction is open to question but is taken as real then it becomes even more problematic. It is unfair but I tend to be a bit more critical of such subjects than I should for that reason. I suspect I'm not the only one.

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

My understanding is that it was uranium ore...took maybe two weeks(?) to enrich, being in a hurry...the Japanese had asked for I think 5 kgs to further their own research, the Germans, close to surrender gave them all they had...Hitler wanted them to continue the fight (all apparently as far as I'm concerned)...

3. lwd

lwd Ace

I've seen the term Uranium Oxide used and I strongly suspect that is correct. As such it wouldn't be raw ore (I think) but it likely wouldn't be enriched either although you could have enriched Uranium Oxide. I haven't seen an official report on it recently though and googleing tends to turn up a bunch of interrelated hits.

4. Morg308

Morg308 New Member

That's a good point. We run up against that over on the AR15 retro forum, where I've been a member since the beginning. There is constant debate about marking repro parts. Indeed, this is a problem that is endemic in militaria, but not limited to the field of course. It seems pretty clear that my book is fiction. If someone reads it and thinks it's real, (especially after reading the author's notes at the end) then I don't know how I can help them. There's a lot of ignorance out there these days - all I'm doing is trying to entertain the reader.

lwd likes this.
  5. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Just dont sell to hollywood...another bloody Brad Pitt WW2 movie and im gunna chuck my guts up.

6. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Ha

7. Morg308

Morg308 New Member

The hell with that - I would love it if they made this into a movie, and my readers say it'd make a good one. I know what you are saying though...

8. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

"You can answer all these questions by reading the book. :sunglasses-peek: I did."

Curious if you paid for the book out of your own pocket LR. How much was it? Books don't grow on tree's. :)

9. Morg308

Morg308 New Member

Poppy - I offered him an electronic pre-release (no final edits) version and he was kind enough to read it. I won't know until next week how I will have to price the book, but it will be likely in 6x9 format. I am going to limit profit to around $2 so as to keep the price as low as possible. Of of course, $1 of that will still go to veterans' support groups, which reminds me - I need to contact Fallen Heroes Fund and find out what their requirements are. Wounded Warrior will only 'partner' with large corporations, but I will likely still send some their way as they are doing such great work. I just can't tell people that, weirdly enough. I'll likely put a button link to them on the website once I get it up and running.

Are you a big reader? I will likely do a promotion at some point... ; )

10. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

I'd say I am. Maybe not a huge absorber. ..lol. Worked in a bookstore (WH Smith) , drooled over some stuff.

11. Morg308

Morg308 New Member

Do you read only 'real' books, or some Kindle?

12. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Real books, e books, cereal boxs, the internet, menu's, bank statement, sisters diary, strangers faces, the weather. You name it, I'll read it.
    Remembering is the hard part.

13. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I'm with Poppy. I read whatever is available. Tends to be fiction during the day, non-fiction at night. (I don't know why) I get my fiction books from the library, non- fiction tends to be on my nook since it doesn't require storage space, but I own WW2 books as well. Most of my non-fiction is WW2 related.

14. Morg308

Morg308 New Member

I will likely do a Kindle only giveaway at some point and will be sure to notify you guys. It will likely only be for a few days. I should have the book back rom being formatted in the next two days, so hopefully it'll be on Amazon both Kindle and PoD by end of the week. Crossing my fingers. My goal is to just make enough to write for a living, and of course to get some money donated to veteran's support groups. I'm already hard at work on 3 other books and re-editing my 1st. (Not a thriller - literary fiction.) WWII is a fascination of mine, and I suspect I have several more WWII novels in me. The next one is 2/3rds done.

15. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

16. Morg308

Morg308 New Member

[​IMG]

I'm new at this - so I hope the pic comes out. I have four 5-star reviews so far, but really haven't done much marketing. The hard copy is in 6x9 paperback format. At some point I will offer signed copies, but not quite there yet. (Still trying to get website up, etc.) Here's the link to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0692325883/ref=x_gr_w_bb_t1_x?ie=UTF8&tag=x_gr_w_bb_t1_x-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0692325883&SubscriptionId=1MGPYB6YW3HWK55XCGG2#customerReviews

Otto: Please contact me with your address so I can send you a hard copy for Christmas!

Thank you to everyone here who has given me support so far. I am probably going to offer up a few free copies, so if you are interested, please email me through the board. I'll tell you, it's pretty damn exciting to actually hold the thing in your hands after years of work. I'm hard at work trying to get the other books out!

CAC likes this.
  17. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Any pictures or maps, or is it all words?

18. Morg308

Morg308 New Member

Nope - it's a novel. All words. Some German.

19. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Dang

20. Morg308

Morg308 New Member

Dang good or dang bad. Harry Truman is in it if that makes a difference, LOL.