Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What WW2-related museum or site has stayed with you?

Discussion in 'WWII Activities and Hobbies' started by Grasmere, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Grasmere

Grasmere New Member

Have you ever visited a WW2-related museum or site which has remained in your memory? For me, it was the Jewish Museum in Berlin, with an area dedicated to the Holocaust. There were many thought provoking aspects to it, for example, the floor was uneven in places, designed to represent the Jews' struggle, and there was a darkened.room with sounds to represent the gas chambers. I could not go in the darkened room, that was a step too far for me, but the memory of the place has stayed with me.

A-58 likes this.
  2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

3. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

AWM...Australian War Memorial...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. R Leonard

R Leonard Member

National Museum of Naval Aviation, Pensacola, Florida

CAC likes this.
  5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

Patriot's Point, South Carolina.

6. The Baron

The Baron New Member

I'm lucky that I don't live far from the National WWII Museum in New Orleans. I visit it at least once a year. Overall, though, the best war museum I've ever been to and has blown every other museum that I've been to out of the water is the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.

CAC likes this.
  7. MarChant

MarChant Member

The Victory Memorial Museum near Arlon, Belgium.
    Unfortunately it went bankrupt in 1998 and (most of) the collection was sold to Dean Kruse and relocated to Auburn, Indiana.

It was a great collection of many vehicles. The few visits I made as a teenager really got me interested in those beautiful machines.

8. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Winter war monument

Winter War Monument | Raatteen Portti

The Winter War Monument is a field with thousands of natural stones erected in memory of Finnish and Red Army soldiers who fell in the Battle of Suomussalmi in 1939-40. The field is encircled by forest battered by artillery. The idea of the monument is to use visual means to make people think about the suffering and havoc wrought by war. The memorial is also a tribute to all veterans of the Winter War.

The “Open Embrace” memorial in the middle of the Winter War Monument has 105 brass bells, one for each day of the Winter War. The bells ring in the wind. The Winter War Monument covers 3 hectares and has around 17,000 large natural stones, which visualise the numbers and suffering of the victims of war.

9. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

I got to see the U505 at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago when I was 13. I used to have my photos I took framed on my wall for years. This was back when it was outside the museum in the elements. It looks like you can get a better look at it now that it’s inside.

When I went to Germany in high school, we went to Heidelberg and on a hike in the mountains near by got to see a big amphitheater in the mountains. One of Albert Speers projects I think.