Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Which Tank would you command?

Discussion in 'Armor and Armored Fighting Vehicles' started by dazzerjeep, Nov 19, 2010.

1. 14CavM60A1

14CavM60A1 Member

Every new model the Germans produced post 1943 was rushed to the front without proper trials.
    Any new tank is going to have teething problems and will need debugging. That's why the Tiger II and Panther variants got the reputation of unreliability.
    We got the first M60A1s in Germany, and they had lots of kinks that needed to be ironed out in their first year or two of service, yet they went on to be fine tanks that are still in service today (48 years after their introduction!)
    When the first Panthers met the T-34/85s, the Russian tank was being pushed to its design limits, whereas the German was still in development whilst in the field. The T-34 wasn't going to get any better, but the Panther would have. There was nothing inherently wrong with the design. They were not "fragile"; their poor reliability was not their "fault". Fault Goring. Take it up with the RAF and the AAF for messing with their manufacturing time-lines.
    Given time (that they never got) the Panther V would easily have been the best tank of the war, no contest.
    So cut those Big Cats some slack. :cool:

2. Mark4

Mark4 Ace

Development on the panther was far from over the germans were already drawing plans for a panther 2 and a Ausf F. Variant and we all of course know of the famed jagpanther also a Observation,command,AA,and a ARV(armored recovery vehicle). I dont know if they saw action tho.

3. dazzerjeep

dazzerjeep Member

14CAVM60A1 and Mark4 happy new year and I totally agree

4. Lady Prime

Lady Prime Member

High maintenance? Oh God no..complicated and at times frustrating..yes....

5. Fruitcake

Fruitcake Member

Because I rarely make sense, it would have to be one of these:
    [​IMG]
    A Centaur IV

Or, for a touch more reliability:
    [​IMG]

:)

6. SnakesInMotherland

SnakesInMotherland recruit

Panther 1 for me, Fast meduim tank, Good armor and nice gun. Could win a fight aginst a much heaver IS.

7. yan taylor

yan taylor Member

Panther for me too, I just hoped it had not been sabotaged by the people making it, (slave labourers) you hear stories of various objects and the like being left in on purpose by the guys who have been took away from there familys to work on such vehicles.

8. Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman Dishonorably Discharged

None of them.

A tank is a big target. It draws attention to itself. They have a habit of catching on fire, something the proximity of gas and ammunition does not assist.

Tank crews had a poor survival rate as a general rule no matter what nation operated them. Hard to be quiet, too, with a roaring engine.

9. madoxflow

madoxflow recruit

I would like to command a M4A3E8.

10. dazzerjeep

dazzerjeep Member

Why, You should give an axplanation as to why my friend!

11. madoxflow

madoxflow recruit

My bad,well it was no match to German Tiger and was lucky to come out as a winner in a battle with a panther,but I like its looks.

12. JimboHarrigan2010

JimboHarrigan2010 Member

The Panther ausf G, firepower,protection and mobility. the reason why i've said the G is because it had the reliability issues sorted out. plus it's a nice looking tank

13. Fruitcake

Fruitcake Member

A proper man's approach. Well done.

14. JimboHarrigan2010

JimboHarrigan2010 Member

I'd consider a Sherman if it was a Firefly,A match made in hell for the German armour. The marriage of the Sherman and the 17pdr gun finally gives the Western Allies equal footing in firepower with German armour for the first time since the introduction of the Grant in early 1942.

Gunney likes this.
  15. yan taylor

yan taylor Member

Well we all have our favourites, but when I was a lad I allways had a soft spot for the Panzer II. The early war period was allways my favourite with AFVs with light calibre guns, before the Russians come up with the T-34 & KV-1s, that changed the way all all nations viewed there Armour, then it all went crazy with huge AFVs with massive guns and thick Armour, but thats progress.
    Regards Yan.

16. Gunney

Gunney Member

i agree with JimboHarrgan2010, when the Brittish 17pdr met the sherman it became a force to be reakoned with, so much in fact that the germans preferd to capture thr Firefly instead of destroying it to use it

Site link for a German fireFly: German Armored Forces & Vehicles - German Firefly Vc

17. Jadgermeister

Jadgermeister Member

The Tiger. It could actually take a hit on the sides unlike the Panther. I dont know why people keep saying the Panther was well armored, because everything but the front is pretty weak. Its not like the enemy is always at 12 o'clock, otherwise they would have just made them all Jadgpanthers. There is a turret for a reason, and its the same reason why I would not want to be in a Panther, its sides are extremely vulnerable at almost all distances.

18. Gunney

Gunney Member

its a hard choice between the M4A3E8, FireFly and Tiger I/II, its pretty hard to decide which one to choose. andy suggestions to which one i would command?

19. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Whichever I was issued with?
    Choice not being a big thing for the WW2 serviceman; "No thank you Herr Colonel, I'd rather take the Mark One over the IV, I don't have the need for the child seat or Luggage capacity, and as the firm's withdrawn the free petrol credit card it's a touch more economical. Mind you, since I've been promoted to ObrGfr recently is there any chance of the bean-counters allowing me a foreign model? The 38t got a nice review in What Company Car last month."

Being more sensible, I'll actually plump for this tank, preferably somewhere in Scotland.

~A

20. Triple C

Triple C Ace

"My bad,well it was no match to German Tiger and was lucky to come out as a winner in a battle with a panther,but I like its looks. "

Actually, Col. Irzyk of 8th Tank Battalion, 4th US Armored Division said he would take M4A3E8 with the 76mm gun "over any German tank on any day" as armor commander. Considering the reputation of his unit with fighting Panzers, his utterance has more substance then mere opinion.