Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Worst WW2 movies ever made?

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Lord of War, Nov 3, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Hey, cool it. It looks like you never heard of Hollywood :) It could be worse, if the film was made in Bollywood you'd have at least a singing and dancing B-17 crew :dance1: :dance1: :dance1:

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

It's all a matter of opinion, but I wouldn't classify 'Memphis Belle' as an all-time 'worst', but it was a disappointment to me. The aircraft are great and so are the aerial sequences, but the crews' mid-air histrionics just don't ring true for 1944 ( compare, for instance, with 'Twelve O'Clock High'...)

Robert Morgan tactfully stated in his memoir : 'Granted, the film layed the melodrama on a little thick....'

3. Terror of the Skies

Terror of the Skies Member

I'm not saying "Memphis Belle" was the worst as in just stupid, but for historical accuracy, yes. And I know the whole Hollywood thing that pumps it up to complete retardation, but to us history buffs we see it and can break it apart. But it's good to see a B-17 and what was done in the skies.

Another thing I noticed his how they explain what is done on a mission through Capt. Dearborn, because honestly, would a crew that's going on it's 25th mission REALLY have to be remembered on what to do?

4. ghostrider_oz

ghostrider_oz Member

I agree with Miller - Pearl Harbour had to be the most inane movie ever produced, and the Thin Red Line goes on forever without going anywhere.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I also have to chime in and agree that Pearl Harbor was veri schlecht. One thing that really bothered me was that no fighter pilot who was at P.H. during the attack, was in on the Doolittle Rais--especially as a bomber pilot. Unless of course, history has now been re-written?

6. Terror of the Skies

Terror of the Skies Member

What do you expect from Michael Bay?

What's next?

Robots on Mars!?

... Oh wait....

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Who's Michael Bey? Is he a Director, and if so, what are the names of some of his movies?

8. White Flight

White Flight Member

Thin Red Line gets my vote. I tolerated it . . . for about thirty minutes.

9. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Straight into the darkness. Awe man was it aweful with the MOST terrible Tiger replica I have seen. It also starts out as "Winter 1945". Who made this movie.

10. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

The Thin Red Line was an awesome book. I'm glad i read it before i saw the movie, otherwise i wouldn't have read the movie. As far as movies go, i'd have to agree. The only reason both The Thin Red Line and Pearl Harbor are in my movie collection is some nitwit of a friend thought they would make a good Christmas Present to me!

11. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

I personally thought that Windtalkers was a god awful movie....

12. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Agreed....Nicholas Cage as a WWII Action Hero...yeah, i'm sorry, worst choice ever. I hate his voice so much. Not to mention scenes were he was firing his Thompson (which was definately pointed towards the ground) though some how managing to kill Japs on a ridge above him. Not to mention how far away they were...

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I agree. Windtalkers would have been much better w/o Francis Ford Coppola's Nephew; being in that film.

14. Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler Member

Pearl Harbor and Windtalkers spring to mind immediately. I can't think of any others, though, that were lousy as those two. Still haven't seen The Thin Red Line. I want to see it for curiosity's sake to see how it measures up to all the criticism it has received. Maybe I'll get around to it this weekend.

15. Miller

Miller Member

I actually liked Windtalkers. I don't think it did the Pacific war justice or the Navajo code talkers but a solid war moive none the less. Also a bit Hollywoodized but what isn't these days? Definitely preferred it over Battle of the Bulge with the exception of the acting.

16. White Flight

White Flight Member

They Raid by Night with Lyle Talbot is about as low budget as they come.

17. malccy

malccy Member

I thought my eyes were deceiving me when I saw the wrong date displayed. Thank goodness my eyes are ok.

This is a film I actually bought and is one of the biggest purchasing regrets. If i'm honest I only managed to sit through 20 minutes before switching it off.

18. Terry_214

Terry_214 recruit

I have to say I agree re Thin Red Line.

The book was great, the film sucks!!!!!!!

Confusing scenes and too many flash backs!

19. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Mrs. Miniver. The church scene, no roof, aircraft noise. all looking up, and also daddy coming home from Dunkirk after his rough day out.

I looke good and hard but I never ever saw Tiny Tim, saying God bless us everyone, was he in it or not?

20. White Flight

White Flight Member

There’s a clip that zooms in on two US foot soldiers placing explosives on a German tank cresting a berm. The scene pans back, no explosives. But wait there’s more. BOOM it explodes.