Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Worst WW2 movies ever made?

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Lord of War, Nov 3, 2006.

Tags:
  1. woolno2000

woolno2000 Member

Read all with interest. My book, Battle of the Bulge was one of the worst, and Pearl Harbor was certainly way off historically and technically. I am assuming the carriers the Japs were using were CG, so why not get a bit closer to the Akagi, Soru, etc? Hint, they were not angle deck carriers. At least they had the gals fashions close. Looked darn good too.

Do you guys not remember Dan Akroid in 1942? Ok, that was not in any sense a serious WWII movie but it was still WWII. You can't tell me that wasn't awfull.

Where can I find a copy of Elsa, Fraulein, SS? Sounds right up there with Chained Heat, that womens prison film.:p;)

2. Takao

Takao Ace

The Japanese carrier in "Pearl Harbor"(2001) was the Essex class USS Lexington(CV-16). As and aside, "Tora Tora Tora" qould use two Essex class carriers - The USS Yorktown(CV-10) would stand in for the Japanese Akagi, and the USS Ticonderoga(CV-14) would stand in for the USS Enterprise. Given that there was no CGI when "Tora Tora Tora" was made it is a forgivable transgression, there is no such excuse for "Pearl Harbor"

Dan Aykroyd was in "1941". I didn't think it was awful, but found it to be quite funny. But, then again, I also think The Three Stooges and Benny Hill are Comedy Gods...

As to Elsa, Google is your friend...
    Elsa Fraulein SS [DVD]

3. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

The worst WWII movie for me was "Below." It was terrible. An American sub in the Atlantic picks up survivors of a British Hospital ship, and the sub keeps trying on it's own to go back to her last sinking. She won't respond to the helm. It turns out that the sub's captain sank the hospital ship, thinking she was a German sub tender. How retarded do you have to be to think a sub tender looks like a hospital ship? Also the exec of the sub killed the captain to cover it all up, and the sub ends up going down to where to hospital ship was.

So lame.

4. RabidAlien

RabidAlien Ace

Man...I was trying to bury memories of that movie. IIRC, it was the XO who sank the ship, wanting to prove he "had what it took", then killed the skipper when they went topside and found out the survivors were English and the skipper threatened to court-martial him for not calling the CO to the bridge before the shot. It was the CO's ghost/spirit that kept bringing the sub back, killed most of the crew, and kept "alerting" a German destroyer to their location. Yeah. Thanks for bringing all that back to mind.

{end sarcasm}

5. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

I'm glad it wasn't just me.

6. woolno2000

woolno2000 Member

Seems to me the worst of WWII movies would be the sub-genre (is that a legit term?) of WWII Horror. Anyone see The Keep? But then I think Zombie Stormtroopers Not sure that's the correct title but it does tell the plot. I guess Hellboy wouldn't qualify since only part of it took place in WWII.

7. woolno2000

woolno2000 Member

Would anyone vote for that Quinton Tarentino (sp) film, Inglorous Bastards as worst?

8. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

Nah. Midway will always be the all time worst WWII movie ever made.

9. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I would! At least on the top 5 worst list.

10. RabidAlien

RabidAlien Ace

If you include Tarrentino's film in the category of "WW2 films", then yes, it has to be in the top-5 worst films ever. However, I don't put it in that category. It is pure fantasy, plain and simple. Besides, my braincell sorta sorts Tarrantino films the same way my gmail account sorts spam. They go straight to the trashcan.

11. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Okay here's another I'm sure has been mentioned and I nominate for a top 5 worstest. Valkyrie with Tom Snooze as a German Jihad bomber. I was either laughing so hard my side hurt at the ridiculous corncob in the arse strutting and bad accent or cursing so bad the dog left the room.
    Anyway someone could set this up as a poll with a tally count?

12. thecanadianfool

thecanadianfool Member

Valkrye wasn't that bad, I only wish it was in German though

13. woolno2000

woolno2000 Member

I can agree with that!

14. QOTD

QOTD Member

"inglorious bastards" takes place in tarrantinos mind and in his alternate universe......IMHO it is a good flick to watch, especially the first 10 minutes or so with the SS colonel and the French farmer, I was riveted and the bloke who plays th SS colonel is dead set brilliant......yes it is far from historicaly correct, Hitler in a cape????,it is basicsly a western set in WW2.....it can be watched fom a number of angles....the German Amy soldiers are shown in a good light, whereas the "bastards" could be seen as war criminals, the portrayal of the SS colonel as a methodical,clinical and quite a cold character in the pursuit of his assigned job, is some may say is pure evil, yet gives a good historical representation of how many at the time were able to do such atrocities, and justify to themselves their actions. The French girl who runs the cinema, IMO gives a good representation of many in the resistance, and th German soldier, the hero of the movie within a movie "stloz der nation" shows the internal moral struggle of someone who has committed acts for his country, is made aNational hero but Is stillhaunted by his actions.......on a side note, it's funny how if a German soldier had held out and sniped the 30 odd Americans, if Germany had won the war he would be a hero, whereas nowadays he would be seen as acold blooded murderer....On the whole this film gives us many accurate characterisations of different types that on that basis is wholly historical accurate......whereas hitler in a cape and meeting his demise by having a full clip of MP40 rounds pumped into his head is entirely Mr Tarrantinis fantasy!!!!

15. QOTD

QOTD Member

I must admit I was very excited when "Pearl Harbour" came out, thinking that somebody had remade "Tora, Tora, Tora"....so maybe it's our expectations of the film that ket us down....I also saw "Saving Private Ryan" and was also disappointed, the opening scenes of th landing was impressive, but then it went down hill from there for me....the whole film was so cliched...in the section you had the coward, the new bloke, the Jew and th bloke who wont follow orders and is killed, the Germans are all portrayed as Nazis, an the scenes where US troops shoot surrendering Germans and loot the bodies is subliminally justified as effects of combat stress........

16. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

Nope. Midway is still the worst WWII movie ever made.

I can excuse fictional movies that use WWII as the setting, But I cannot ever excuse movies portraying a factual event or group in WWII, and screwing it up. Red Tails is in that category now.

17. Chrisdm4

Chrisdm4 Member

I have to say Windtalkers was the worst WW2 movie to me! Nicolas Cage is just pulling a rambo the whole movie, and the acting was terrible. The charging scene on Guam was the worst. I had to look away.

18. Phantom of the Ruhr

Phantom of the Ruhr Member

They also seemed "immature" for a crew on the cusp of completing the "magic number." Look at how the two waist gunners behaved. If anything, this crew should have been all business, but alas, that wouldn't make for entertainment. Pinning a note to the back of another crew mate that says, "Couldn't get laid last night" does apparently.

19. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I recently got this. I´ll be watching it tonight and I´ll let you know what I thought. I liked the first part.

20. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Burnt by the sun Prt 2

I must say it was a "massive movie" and that is due to duration 2 hr 28 mins and I felt like they tried to gather too much into the film. The start of the film of the Gulag was "incredible". Tne inmates were smoking and hanging around, and some had some little snacks to eat all the time. And the Guards were not threatening at all. Looked like a summer camp to me. Then the people running away from the Germans on the roads seemed to be in no hurry at all. Then to the Oct 1941 battle scene not very convicing and actually rather hilarious at times like the Red Army soldier greeting the tanks coming closer thingking it´s their own tanks and a German tank driver comes up and waves the Red Army soldier to move away. But the lowest part must be the Stuka plane attack where the gunner took his trousers off and tried to c*** on the ship while the stuka was flying over the Red Cross Ship. I was not sure if I wanted to continue the film. I did in the end finish it and I must admit I felt like Owe Böle was somewhere close as it ended with a dying tank man wanting to see the tits of a female Red Army Medic...and got what he wanted..Or was it all a joke?
    One interesting part was the destruction of the AT gun in the Oct 1941 battle. I thought it was truly awesome as the men celebrated their first shot and then the gun got a straight hit. maybe it´s in Youtube somewhere...