Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Worst WW2 movies ever made?

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Lord of War, Nov 3, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Takao

Takao Ace

To be fair, the TV series was never meant to be a reboot of the film, but was an amalgam of elements from Bucheim's series of novels Das Boot & Die Festung.

2. James Stewart

James Stewart Active Member

True, the series was much better than the movie, the movie was something of an abridged edition, the more recent series could not escape being compared to the 1980's series but it was not in any way related.

3. Class of '42

Class of '42 Active Member

Hustler Squad from 1976...when the Allied high command learns that Tojo’s top generals will be meeting to unwind at a Filipino brothel, a maverick intelligence officer trains a squad of foxy call girls to go in and assassinate the enemy big wigs. That’s Hustler Squad in a nutshell. The Internet Movie Data Base ranks this 1976 B-movie, also known as The Dirty Half Dozen, as the worst World War Two film of all time… and for good reason. I watched it once...that was enough for this soul.

James Stewart likes this.
  4. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

Was that made by Eddie Romero?

5. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

...I see a bunch of horrible WW2 movies on YouTube .....I'll try to find the title of one of the bad ones where they have very bad mock ups German tanks and they are all very close together while in the attack--I think it's War Devils?? of course maybe I've seen so many I have them confused
    ..seems there are a lot of North African/desert movies--non-American made .....?

6. James Stewart

James Stewart Active Member

I am always bemused and amused by "The Battle of the Bulge", it is such a patchwork. The Henry Fonda character, flying around in the dark cutting his engine to hear the German tanks, always knowing exactly what was going to happen 20 minutes in advance, the secret German headquarters with what was it a 72-hour clock. :)
    "Too many boys"... "You know my reputation"."Your sons will be German soldiers....and you will be proud of them".

"Red Tails" a good idea but a movie so badly made, "Monuments Men" also one to miss.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  7. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

I didn't think is was so terrible!

8. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

You can do it! Those green troops singing prove it!

ColHessler likes this.
  9. Carronade

Carronade Ace

I remember that one, saw it while I was in the Navy, we seemed to get a lot of the worst films, I guess because they were cheap. One girl choked a Japanese general between her legs, and the only member of the squad to survive was the one who'd been terminally ill to begin with. Sorry, did I spoil it for you all??

10. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

BOB one of the worst

James Stewart likes this.
  11. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

We got first run films when I was on ships or far from home. The worst of those was "At Long Last Love." I won't give the details.

12. Class of '42

Check out the movie Flight WWII from 2015..the basic plot goes like this ..passengers and crew on a 757 fight to stay alive after they are transported back thru time into an air battle between Allied and German forces in 1940...the dvd cover says based on true events..ok sure got it...least the ME-262's were decent looking.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  13. Class of '42

How about that movie from about 1980 called "The Final Countdown" with Kirk Douglas..where the U.S.S. Enterprise goes back in time just prior to the Pearl Harbor disaster but nobody can figure out what the hell is happening...I figured it out when those F-14 Tomcats tangled with some Zeros...like hello!

14. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

.......well, not the worst movie but one of the worst scenes I just saw was in Winds of War mini-series where a Uboat detects a convoy approaching --so the Captain says ''call the wolfpack''''----and they mean pack!! in the next few scenes they show about 5 or six Uboats in very close formation going into the attack---you can see them all on the TV screen....all of them together like a parade of Uboats

15. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

.....they say Inchon 1981 is one of the worst movies [ war and no war ] of all time..I started watching it for fun and it is fun watching it

16. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

It was the Nimitz, not the Enterprise. I was nine and thought it was super cool. I still think it's good.

17. Class of '42

I just thought The Final Countdown was a little too hokey for me, the acting wasn't too believable for me..best part were the jets taking off the deck..simply felt like some ABC made-for-tv movie..I did a review of it on another military site years ago...two stars.

18. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

Does anyone know when the second season of Das Boot is supposed to be released in the U.S.?

19. Takao

Takao Ace

DVDs release on April 5th.

20. Carronade

Carronade Ace

What struck me was that they set up an intriguing premise - time travel, can you alter the past, etc? - and then decided not to bother resolving it. The wormhole or whatever comes back, the Nimitz goes back, movie ends.

Early on when they first sight the "storm", Douglas tells someone to have the "destroyers" return to Pearl, and they cut to a shot of a California class cruiser. Guess they missed the DLGNs being redesignated CGNs back in 1975.