Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW2: BEF retreating from Louvain and Brussels (May 1940)

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by hubbar1949, Nov 15, 2015.

1. hubbar1949

hubbar1949 New Member

Hi All!

I know it's not really the place to post..; (does it exist a forum with a narration of the BEF' operations in Belgium during May 1940?)

I would like to identify a british outfit (of the BEF in Belgium, around the 18th and 19th May 1940) who cared for a belgian officer who eventually died in a british ambulance in Zuydcote on the 30th during Operation Dynamo?

That officer was Lt Remacle COEURDEROY, from the 3d Rgt Chasseurs Ardennais, 10th Company.
    He was wounded in a friendly fire incident with british troops retreating from Louvain and Brussels.

He had been sent by his CO to try to liaise with the neighbouring british unit "on the road, direction Eede-Aiigem to Herzele"
    When coming in sight of the first british troops (aboard a motorbike with a side-car ) he was fired upon (with an antit-tank Boys rifle) when mis-identified with a german motor recce unit.

The british troops were said to be very sorry , and cared for the wouded belgian officer. The belgian lost contact with him, and heard about his death in June 1942 only! (see his CO's report in the attached document - if somebody wants an English translation, I will post it on demand -see my email hereunder)

I wonder if traces of this incident and the subsequent fate of the ambulance until Zuycote is known?
    Where could one find a relation of this incident in one British Unit diary or log book?
    I "suspect" his death was in fact "registered" by the germans when inspecting the bounty on the Dunkirk' beaches.

Hubbar49
    bart.mullier@gmail.com

Attached Files:

2. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I see that you posted this information over on the talk earlier. That's where you'll probably get much more assistance since most posters here are of the US and Commonwealth persuasion. Hope that you find what you are looking for, and be sure to post here when you find something.

3. hubbar1949

hubbar1949 New Member

As a first step to eventually find a hint, I would like someone pointing me to a map showing the tactical deployment of the Army units of the BEF in Belgium on May 19th 1940. Is it possible that exists on the net?

Hubbar49

4. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

You might want to check with Drew5233 about that info. He's a BEF/Dunkirk guru and an all round good guy for a Britisher. He's a seldom posting member here, but he's a heavy if not the heaviest poster over on the talk.

Drew5233 likes this.