Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW2 ETO US Army Ordnance Heavy Automotive Maintenance (HAM)

Discussion in 'WW2|ORG - WWII Open Resource Group' started by mtndawn, Aug 15, 2020.

1. mtndawn

mtndawn New Member

I am searching for any information on the 894th and 444th Ordnance HAM units. My uncle served from Nov 1943 to Sep 1945 in these units as a mechanic. I want to determine what divisions he supported so I can understand his movements and battle engagements. Before 1942, he was in the 56th Quartermaster Regiment Heavy Maintenance. Thank you.

2. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

As of 31 May 1944, the894th Ord HAM Co was attached to the 76th Ord Bn at Taunton, Somerset and was part of Base Section 1 of the Communications Zone, which was intended to land and provide basic support to the armies c. D+90. As such, it was not attached to an army, corps, or division. The HAM was to provide fourth echelon and depot maintenance for motor vehicles.

mtndawn likes this.
  3. mtndawn

mtndawn New Member

Thank you Richard, this information is very informative. I have learned that the 894th HAM supported The Red Ball Express. My uncle was then posted in Belgium supporting the Ardennes Campaign and later in Germany. Were the HAM units always supporting the major supply depots and transportation units? My uncle was very proud to serve in the supply network supporting the combat divisions. He continued his service through the Korean War. Thanks again.