Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII events reach my family today

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by chocapic, Jun 27, 2007.

1. scarface

scarface Member

Thanks for posting this! I had no idea about the Righteous.... what a well deserved honor.

I will be looking forward to your next post.

-Lou

Skipper likes this.
  2. bigfun

bigfun Ace

wow!! thanks so much for taking the time to translate this fascinating story! how proud you must be of your family! just wanted to say thanks, and i look forward to reading more of this!!!

3. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

It was fascinating to read. I hope you finish the story. I will come back again to read.

MR

Skipper likes this.
  4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Thank you Chocapic, this is a great and moving story. I'll be waiting for more to read.

5. Falcon Jun

Falcon Jun Ace

Yours is really a heartwarming story.

Like Kerem, it's touching to know that there are people who will willingly risk their lives for other people. Events like yours are beacons that remind us that kindness, hope, goodwill still exist despite troubled times. I'm looking forward to reading your next post.

6. chocapic

chocapic Member

Thanks for kind words ! Here's the next part.

From this point, Mr H. S-B was housed by the B. family, in Moulinal, while his son (the person who is the narrator and wrote the righteous file) and wife stayed by Mr L.'s farm.

He had a room at disposal in le Moulinal, but because this room had no direct access to the outside of the house, Mr H. S-B who had been very frightened by the previous experience, often slept in the nearby barn, in case he had to emergency run away.

Months passed and as a result he caught the Malta fever (?) and had to be healed by Dr Baud, who came at night for discretion.

A few months before this, Miss M. made a proposal to Mr H. S-B's wife, to hide her husband in their isolated farm, in the near Gavaudun village. She also explained that she had a sewing machine, so her husband could have an occupation.

When it became obvious that Mr H. S-B's health could not withstand the barn in the long run, his wife accepted the proposition.

One night, the Dr Baud, who as a Doctor was allowed to have a car and some fuel, and could move at night without raising much suspiscion, came to pick Mr H. S-B and drove him to Gavaudan at the farm of the M. family.

Very few people in Lacapelle or Moulinal knew is new location, except for his family, a few accomplices and 3 neighbor families in Gavaudan.

As a security procedure, he went back to Moulinal from time to time, in order not to get localised.

His wife was scared as well by the previous experience with the cops. Miss L., the woman of a cattle seller, gave her a house which was right in front of the house they were living in, in Lacapelle. They slept in this house, and, during the day, they returned in the usual house.

At this time, the tiny 'Lacapelle informal network' was also hiding ther Jew people : the R. family and Miss B., in Lacapelle Biron immediate surroundings, and the W. family which was housed in the nearby houses at La Sauvetat.

I google-earthed the area to make a small map.

[​IMG]

I'll make 2 more parts in the future, with the rest of Mr S-B's son's writtings.

macrusk likes this.
  7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Excellent hiding places. It was almost impossible to search all this countryside and the safety procedures were a good thing too. Keep on posting this great story and thank you for sharing

8. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Thank you for sharing this amazing story, choco. Great to see that the actions of these people are still being remembered and honored today.

9. Zwingli

Zwingli Member

I am thoroughly enjoying your story and look forward to more. You should be very proud of your family's history.

Leslie

10. chocapic

chocapic Member

thanks for kind words :)

Looks like I can't edit my last post.

The text just above the picture should read :

"At this time, the tiny 'Lacapelle informal network' was also hiding other Jew people : the R. family and Miss B., in Lacapelle Biron immediate surroundings, and the W. family which was housed in the nearby houses at La Sauvetat.

I google-earthed the area to make a small map."

And I forgot to mention on the map Miss B., who was hidden at Lacapelle-Biron, as well as the R. family.

11. bigfun

bigfun Ace

thanks for the update! i look forward to reading more!!!
    thanks for sharing!!!!

12. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

excellent avatar from the Dutch assault sections! Did you ever try to find out about the sword and the deer?

13. chocapic

chocapic Member

After about 3 months receiving the file, the commission which has to make a decison about the "righteous status" (its name is Yad Vashem) has just declared that...the manuscript file should be typed lol

This 70+ years old man can't use a computer, so guess who's gonna do the job ?

Anyway, I can understand these people don't want to work on manuscript letters, so I'll type and print the stuff, and hand it to the man so he can check it and send it if it's ok ;)

14. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Paperwork will kill the last survivors. Then I can understand that people do not want to decypher handwritings because there are so many files. I hope that the typed file will eventualy reach its goal and that your family will be rewarded.

15. Suzanne Merdinger Chemtob

Suzanne Merdinger Chemtob recruit

To Chocapic,
    Your family and the whole village of La Capelle Biron deserve this honor, It was incredible for me to read your story especially that my father was one of the prisoners of war taken from La Capelle Biron as one of the French Underground persons. My mother, my brother and I were sheltered in La Capelle Biron while my father was taken to Dachau and then to sent to Mauthausen. We are forever grateful to you. I would like to find out more about the events. I recall a Mr. Palin and his daughter if it means anything.
    Suzanne

16. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

It is amazing what the Internet can do! I am so glad you looked here today and joined. It makes me feel honoured to get to hear both your stories. Welcome!

Michelle

17. chocapic

chocapic Member

Thanks for kind words, I still have to take some time to type the manuscript, and, of course, I will post the rest of the story here.

@ Suzanne : cheers, I've sent you a private message, maybe you knew my mother who was in the village at the time ? I'll ask her about you and Mr Palin, but I won't quote names in the public forum, except mygandfather's father.

The testimony of Mr H. S.-B. Includes the SS raid on the village, when your father was taken away to concenctration camps, I'll come to this part later.

18. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Chocapic this is great news I hope you and Susanne's familly will have interesting thoughts to share.

19. bigfun

bigfun Ace

wow, that is so great that you two connected here! again, i'll be waiting to hear more of this great story!!

20. Mortman2004

Mortman2004 Dishonorably Discharged

God bless them all