Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWIIF Pet Photos

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Otto, Jun 22, 2007.

1. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I'd like to get some British lamb here, but we only seem to get the New Zealand animals. I rarely see American lamb in the stores, either.

3. urqh

You'd like the meat on these mate...The whole animal is about a third of the size again of yer little white woolly versions.

The meat is lean...and many folk I've cooked it for have had problems distinguishing it from Beef...then again could be my cooking...

http://zwartbles.org/index.php?page=about-the-breed

4. Hawkerace

Hawkerace Member

Atchung PANZER!

This is my parent's Rottie, his name is Panzer - Jawohl! Don't worry guys, he's the biggest sap and girl I've ever met. Beautiful and gentle, to the point it's almost silly and boring.
    He's probably the greatest dog I've managed to have, excuse my favoritism. Plus his name is just too good. I believe I uploaded a photo here earlier in the thread, but an update and thread takeover never hurt anybody.

Hope you fellas don't feel the blitzkrieg!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, and the black big fat cat on his left (a dog, but acts like a big silly cat as well) is named Angus, go figure!

5. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

For some reason, I still feel intimidated. That's quite a stare. :unsure:

6. urqh

Intimidated....I feel bloody scared...And I don't do scared for anything or anyone...That dog...nice doggie....would be kenneled if I had it...about 5 miles away...Visit on weekends and take it some cigarettes and chocolate...Thats one fierce looking creature...Your going to tell us its a cutie and love children....

7. Hawkerace

Hawkerace Member

You can't be serious....

8. urqh

Ahhh....Your seeing a pet...I get it...I'm seeing the words run away run away in front of my eyes.....

9. urqh

Don't count sheep anymore..suddenly...count greyhounds...

10. urqh

View attachment 18920

Better with pic...

One of girlfriends dogs...the house is full of Greynounds....Rescued ones...3 she had to keep...Even I get thrown off sofa....Brilliant animals.

Attached Files:

• Bru.jpg
      Bru.jpg
      File size:
      41.8 KB
      Views:
  11. urqh

Can vouch for this orginisation. Any one thinking of a King Charles...try here first....Have got two more arriving....Losing one of the two I have to ex woman. Keeping the puppy...but new woman is into saving dogs and is a real live protester against animal mostly dog cruelty. Turns out all times of day and night to rescue them...Pointed this out to me and bang...fell for 2 of em...now will have 3 King Charles...Bloody lovely dogs...As someone who grew up with big German shepherds and the like...I've found this breed to be loyal, fierce and adventerous...so anyone thinking of a King Charles...try this first..

cavalier rescue uk.....on facebook.

There is one for USA also...If your thinking of getting a doberman or labrador or something...give the Cavalier a try...

12. urqh

Attached Files:

USMCPrice and CAC like this.
  13. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein WWII Veteran

I'm sure I've posted this item before but can't seem to find it :(

Never mind................ you are going to get it again as it is a ww2 pet photo and one of my favourite stories :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/75/a5062475.shtml

Understandably, most units managed to keep the odd pet whilst in the line.

In 'A' Squadron, 4th Queen’s Own Hussars, we had Queenie, a nondescript bitch who subsequently produced Curly and once hostilities had finished they both firmly established themselves at our barracks in Opicina.

I would be hard pushed to say who the official owner was, my guess is that it was probably the cook, as it was at the cookhouse that both dogs could usually be found.
    Whoever owned them, they were both spoilt rotten and had complete run of the barracks.

It was rare for a serviceman to be allowed to take a pet back to the UK and so inevitably dogs such as Queenie and Curly would eventually have been ‘passed on’ to successive regiments at wherever one was stationed.

One exception to this unwritten rule was when I was finally posted back to England in 1947.

As we arrived at the docks at Dover I noticed that one of our party was wearing his greatcoat most of the time despite the fact that it couldn’t have been too comfortable wearing it on the train and on the ferry.

Another one of the lads, seeing me staring at my unusually clad comrade said ‘Have a look at his right hand’

I looked again, saw nothing and said ‘What am I supposed be looking at?’

He smiled and said ‘He’s bringing his parrot home!’

Sure enough, being held down in his right hand pocket was a full sized parrot that was about to be smuggled into England despite all the laws to the contrary and the strict anti-psittacosis regulations that were then in force.

I would guess that half the ship must have known by then what he was trying to achieve and to everyone’s amusement and relief when we finally cleared customs and boarded our London bound train he brandished his multi-coloured pet in triumph.

Please, dear reader, make my day and post a response that says ‘That was my Dad (or Granddad) who smuggled that parrot home and they are both still around today!

Ron

Attached Files:

14. urqh

I wish I could Ron, but I can't but great story mate..

15. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Loved the greyhounds Urqh...darling creature...the dog that is!
    Anyone tried a Red Kelpie? Or a Blue healer? Aussie through and through, a better mate you could not find.

16. urqh

View attachment 18981 Two King Charles are with me at mo...older on lilley is off to ex in France soon...puppy Paddy, mad and bad...is staying with me...getting a new rescue King charles...2 in fact soon...The Greyhound I'm proud of..she's now named Lilley and is the first time I've been involved in a greyhound rescue....those folk are special people...get things done...She is fostered now but will be off to a permanant home in a few weeks.

The bloke needs to grow his beard back bloody quickly..and stop shaving his hair which he is going to do..

Attached Files:

17. urqh

View attachment 18982 Paddy the one I'm keeping with girlfriends daughter....

Dog mad the lot of em...

Attached Files:

18. Hawkerace

Hawkerace Member

[​IMG]

:sunglasses-peek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'm not going to say your cat is fat but, maybe she/he's just big boned.

20. Hawkerace

Hawkerace Member

Cat? That's just a pillow. Must have been uploaded on accident.