Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Your favorite Modern tank

Discussion in 'Post-World War 2 Armour' started by KBO, Nov 21, 2004.

1. shearwater

shearwater New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I really like the Scorpion family, especially the Sabre and Scimitar. Although quite an old design now they are very fast and nimble and have an incredibly low ground pressure. The armour is only 12.7mm Alu so they are vulnerable to anything bigger than small arms but they weren't designed for a stand up fight. The 30mm Rarden canon is a great gun, very accurate and even has a sabot round, sustained burst fire is said to be able to penetrate MBT side armour. I used to have a pic of me in the driver's position but must have deleted it. I'll see what I can find.

2. shearwater

shearwater New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Non-thunderbird scimitar/sabre pics :)
    Difficult to tell scimitar from sabre. Sabre has turret of fox CRV(W) so has a slightly lower profile and Hughes chain-gun instead of gpmg.

3. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    :angry:

Ok, here were go.

Grieg pointed out that the M1A2 has a system whereby it not only shows you were you are, but also where all the rest of your forces are. And (presumably) where the enemy are (if you have that data).
    So far, we have seen that the Leo has a system that shows where it is, but nothing else.

This would seem to indicate that the M1A2 therefore has an advantage here - provided you are in a tank that was upgraded! ;)

Hopefully that is now cleared up.

Shearwater - good choice, great pics! :D

4. KBO

KBO New Member

via TanksinWW2
    From the site:

The vehicle is equipped with an advanced command system to support the vehicle commander in commanding his own tank and for commanding units up to the size of a battalion.

On a display in front of the commander a digital map is displayed. On this map the position of his vehicle and the position of the vehicle in his unit is dieplayed. The vehicle keeps track of it´s position with the help of an inertial navigation system. On the map display enemy positions, waypoints and orders can be drawn and shared with all the other tanks in the unit.

Since the positions of friendly vehicles is known the risk of friendly fire is minimized and the unit can be used to maximum efficiency.

The system can also be used for guiding artillery. Exact positions of enemy enplacements can be sent with the help of the laser rangefinder and the navigation system

Exactly the same as in a M1A2 ! ;)

5. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    That's better KBO, but as you said youself, earlier...

;)

6. KBO

KBO New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I know i said that, but that was generally directed at private websites such as the "Fprado website", not at National weapons intelligence site !

KBO

7. KBO

KBO New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Also that website supports all my info on the Leopard ! ;)

KBO

8. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    :lol:
    Yeah, I know, but I could not resist. :D

9. KBO

KBO New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Shame on you Ricky, Shame on you !! :D

Regards, KBO.

10. Jeffrey phpbb3

Jeffrey phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Maybe the side armor of a T-55 ;)

A tankcrew member told me the 35mm of the CV90 wasn't able to penetrate the side armor, maybe the back of turret but certainly not front or side armor.

By the way, that racecar wth a tank apperance doesn't belong in the MBT section as it is not a MBT but an armored fighting vehicle ;)

11. Cholbert

Cholbert New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I have memories of being passed by Scorpions in convoy on the motorway while travelling in an Air Cadets bus. The bus was doing 50mph.

So I guess I'm with Shearwater on this one since the topic is favourite modern tank (nothing said about MBT :D ).

12. Jeffrey phpbb3

via TanksinWW2
    You don't call an armored fighting vehicle a TANK, its not hevay enough to be a tank and it doesn't ave the armamanet of a tank...

13. KBO

KBO New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well maby i should have made the title say 'favorite AFV then', anyway its perfectly Ok for you guys want to post your favorite AFV, as that was my intension with this topic from the beginning. :D

Best regards, KBO.

14. shearwater

shearwater New Member

via TanksinWW2
    As KBO pointed out, this thread is "my favourite modern tank", the usual definition for a tank is a tracked AFV with cannon armament. Scimitar is a light tank, but still a tank. CV90 (an IFV) is armed with a 40mm Bofors designed gun and the Norwegian version has a 35mm Boeing Bushmaster weapon. Not a Rarden cannon. I have penetration specs for Rarden sabot rounds at home somewhere and will post them next time I get to go home.

15. Cholbert

Cholbert New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hmmm, all these years I've thought a "TANK" was an armoured fighting vehicle! Ah well I live and learn, but i'm still stubborn enough to say the Scorpion being tracked and originally armed with a 75mm cannon and intended as a light recon' tank is a "TANK" even if it is a bit skinny compared to the MBT fatties :D :D

16. Jeffrey phpbb3

via TanksinWW2
    Go talk to a Dutch tanker and say an YPR is a ''tank'', he will beat you up or put you on the cannon with ropes and drive around... :lol: ;)

17. KBO

KBO New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Never called it a tank, but an AFV ! ;) Its armored and it can fight ! :smok:

KBO

18. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I've been too busy to read or post for the past few days. As I earlier indicated I'm content to let this debate die inasmuch as all parties are firmly entrenched in their positions and unlikely to change and all relevent points have been addressed except for the comparison of the SEP system to the C-2 system of the Leo 2.

What that means is were such a Command and Control architecture in place(such as in the US Army) then the AFV is capable of taking advantage of it. Most parties have indicated that they do not wish to discuss other aspects of the Army's Combined Arms doctrine or systems in place to facilitate it so I will not go deeper into this, in this thread.

No matter how one interprets these differing views presented on these sites (only one site I listed is maintained by an individual BTW and the info there is copied fro "official" sites) I think we can agree that all these MBTs are cabable of killing the other, all things being equal.
    Of course it is the intention of all military forces to try and ensure that one never gets involved in an equal contest but endeavor to make it as unequal as possible ;)
    Cheers 8)

19. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Agreed - I was just trying to sum up the various positions.

I think that is a fair statement!

20. Jeffrey phpbb3

via TanksinWW2
    ''What that means is were such a Command and Control architecture in place(such as in the US Army) then the AFV is capable of taking advantage of it.''

SO, you agree that the M1A2 is not the only one with this kind of system?
    Because such a ''command and COntrol architecture'' is in palce on the Leopard2a5S (STRV-122) ad we (Holland) have them ready to install them when nessecary.